Leveling Kit or Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Islandlivin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The great debate...I live on an island in MA where I drive on the beach a lot, and regular paved roads. I am looking for more ground clearance, as well as a more aggressive look. Thoughts? Looking to add bigger tires and add fender flares as well. Please let me know what you think!

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Do you want to spend alittle = level
or alot more = lift

That One question to ask yourself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

Islandlivin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well I don't want to lift it more than 2-3 inches. Just wondering what the best thing for what I am looking for is. Its not really about the money, just about what would work better for what I would like. Not sure which direction to go.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Then do Bilsteins set at 2.8 and then do a spacer in the back maybe a 1.5".

Fits 35s fine.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Level with Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks to 2.0 - 2.5"

18x9 wheel of your choice with a + 18 to +12mm offset

285/65r18 (32.6" diameter) or a 285/70r18 (33.7" diameter) tires with a mildly aggressive tread pattern, not M/T but not A/T - Trail Grappler, Toyo R/T, Duratracs, Wranglers, etc...

Bushwacker flares. Depending on how far out the tires and wheels stick out, you can go with their Extend A Fender (1.75" F & R coverage) or Pocket flares 2.6" front/2.0" rear coverage).

lone12star

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my truck last April. Leveled it within a month or so, and it’s already lifted. 9b31b5a6e8db2d3f82a7e9ab616d9f58.jpg
6aa2c1e16722a256397ef182f89ad6a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JB1

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I live MA as well, I would recommend a level because of the new stricter inspections are going to limit how much lift you can do

Pittsburghkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm in the same boat except my concern is voiding the warranty. Is there a way to go higher than a level kit without voiding the warranty with cutting, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Only way I know of lifting without cutting anything is a body lift but that has its own issues...

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm in the same boat except my concern is voiding the warranty. Is there a way to go higher than a level kit without voiding the warranty with cutting, etc.

What about the MOPAR lift?

Pittsburghkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What about the MOPAR lift?

Is that something I have to have done through the dealer or a package I can purchase from them and do myself?

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is that something I have to have done through the dealer or a package I can purchase from them and do myself?

I really don’t know. I don’t have the lift on my truck but I would imagine you’d need the dealer to install it for the warranty to remain intact.

Mikey b

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L 4X4
Good afternoon all! I have a 2017 Big Horn and was wondering about a 2" (I think would work) leveling kit for the front. I just want the front to be level with the back. I'm a backyard mechanic, and new to this and not afraid to admit that this is not my lane. I've read a couple of articles about changing the control arms because of the extra pressure due to the kit. Does anyone have any insight on this? Also, does anyone have suggestions for leveling kits? Thanks!

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yes use the adjustable Bilsteins , this is one of the best ways to level the truck and the easiest on upper ball joints.

I have mine set at 2.8 and am running the stock upper a arms with no problems.

These are not hard to change out IMO

Pittsburghkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do they make a longer upper control arm, and if so would it be possible to use the Bilsteins with a spacer, longer upper control arms, and tall upper ball joint to get more of a lift with out going the route of a full lift kit?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The problem there would be too steep an angle for the CV joints. This is why the front axle is dropped down with most lift kits.

Rader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Good afternoon all! I have a 2017 Big Horn and was wondering about a 2" (I think would work) leveling kit for the front. I just want the front to be level with the back. I'm a backyard mechanic, and new to this and not afraid to admit that this is not my lane. I've read a couple of articles about changing the control arms because of the extra pressure due to the kit. Does anyone have any insight on this? Also, does anyone have suggestions for leveling kits? Thanks!

Basically Bilsteins lift by moving the spring perch UP, or put another way Bilsteins lift by changing spring PRELOAD. So set at any lift height including 2.1" or 2.8" are virtually the same length as OEM struts. Because the strut length is not changed when the suspension is drooped the control arm angles are virtually the same as stock so the UCA ball joint is not more stress than it was with stock struts.

There are two different types of of front spacers, one type bolts to the top of the strut, that type makes the strut longer than stock length so when the suspension droops the ball joint in the UCA may limit out, that is the type to beware of. Rough country 2.5" leveling spacer kit is installed IN an OEM strut, it just adds preload like the Bilstein, because it is installed IN the strut the strut length is unchanged so the UCA ball joint angle is the same as stock when drooped so the UCA ball joint is not stressed. Read this (link) page from top to bottom I think you will find some useful info. http://www.ramforum.com/threads/another-lift-level-question.114328/#post-1648486

lone12star

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would love to do this

Thanks! I did all the work myself. I didn’t want to pay a shop several hundred if I could do it myself. Everything that’s been done has been in the driveway. Also take more pride in how my truck looks because of it.