Lift kit knuckle wheel clearance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
Hello everyone.

wanted to get others feedback on this particular topic.

When I originally had my 6” procomp lift kit installed on my 2015 Ram 1500 4wd, I bought a set of fuel wheels, 17x9 with a -12mm offset. Well the shop installed them and had to take them right back off due to rubbing and clearance issues.
I contacted procomp and was told a minimum size of 18” is needed with a -12mm offset to clear their Knuckle.
I ended up running 2” spacers until I replaced them with the 18x9 -12mm offset wheels later on and now no clearance issues.

From what I’ve heard others say about their ready lift kits and BDS kits, they can run 17s with no clearance issue.

so my question is, is it possible to swap out my current procomp knuckles in favor of another brand in order to fit 17s? Thank you in advance for your advice.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I know my Rough Country Kit said I had to have 18” or bigger wheels but I’ve had 17” wheels since I bought the truck and no issues. I did some checking and the stock knuckle was never replaced on my truck. Which explains why the wheels had no issues. I’m pretty sure with the 6” lift you’d definitely have to swap out the knuckles. You may just need a bigger offset to deal with the newer knuckles or bigger wheels like you did.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BDS can fit 17's with 4.5" backspacing so your 17x9 -12mm should work. Yes you can swap out the knuckles from one lift to another.

azcoyote

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BDS can fit 17's with 4.5" backspacing so your 17x9 -12mm should work. Yes you can swap out the knuckles from one lift to another.

Really? That seems like a roll of the dice for problems. Are you saying they are all the same and interchangeable?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really? That seems like a roll of the dice for problems. Are you saying they are all the same and interchangeable?

The knuckles should be interchangeable since they all attach to stock components right...LCA, UCA, hub etc....but I give no guarantee

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

What is going to change from knuckle to knuckle is the lift height the knuckle will provide if any. The location for the tie rod ends. "Some tie rods have to be cut." But all in all the upper and lower ball joints attach at the same place, wheel bearings are the same, axles etc. Some knuckles depending on the type of kit can push the front track wider.

I think the 17x9 suffers from the brake calipers being to large to fit. Main reason they require more offset.

In theory you could Frankenstein your own kit together but it's on you if it fails.

azcoyote

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is going to change from knuckle to knuckle is the lift height the knuckle will provide if any. The location for the tie rod ends. "Some tie rods have to be cut." But all in all the upper and lower ball joints attach at the same place, wheel bearings are the same, axles etc. Some knuckles depending on the type of kit can push the front track wider.

I think the 17x9 suffers from the brake calipers being to large to fit. Main reason they require more offset.

In theory you could Frankenstein your own kit together but it's on you if it fails.

Having done a Frankenlift on a Jeep back in the day, I am sticking to full systems where I can. LOL

OP
OP
T JAZ

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
The knuckles should be interchangeable since they all attach to stock components right...LCA, UCA, hub etc....but I give no guarantee
This is my reasoning considering everything it bolts to is stock.

OP
OP
T JAZ

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8

Any idea on what could fail if I did swap out for BDS knuckles?

azcoyote

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any idea on what could fail if I did swap out for BDS knuckles?

For what its worth, AEV does an Aluminum knuckle and has low profile rod ends as I recall from their 4" literature. You may want to look at that too.

OP
OP
T JAZ

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
I found out that I can in fact order the BDS knuckles separate which would cost 400$ shipping included. Only problem is I won’t be able to return them at all.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So what backspacing would be needed to run 17s? Do you know?

azcoyote

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I found out that I can in fact order the BDS knuckles separate which would cost 400$ shipping included. Only problem is I won’t be able to return them at all.

Did you consider the AEV ones? They are aluminum like the OE ones. Might be a nice add if they sell them ala cart.

OP
OP
T JAZ

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
Did you consider the AEV ones? They are aluminum like the OE ones. Might be a nice add if they sell them ala cart.
Didn’t even consider it, I’ll have to ask!

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a ProComp 6” and I’ve been looking into 17s and 18s to put some 37s on.

It’s not a make it or break it deal for me. I’d prefer 17s but would just as gladly run 18s if that’s necessary with the knuckles.

Would be interested to see what it would take (as far as backspacing goes) to get some 17s on the ProComp kit though.

OP
OP
T JAZ

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
I have a ProComp 6” and I’ve been looking into 17s and 18s to put some 37s on.

It’s not a make it or break it deal for me. I’d prefer 17s but would just as gladly run 18s if that’s necessary with the knuckles.

Would be interested to see what it would take (as far as backspacing goes) to get some 17s on the ProComp kit though.
It’s definitely possible to run 17s. I ran 17s originally but with 2” spacers which was the minimum size you’d need to get them to clear the knuckles.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s definitely possible to run 17s. I ran 17s originally but with 2” spacers which was the minimum size you’d need to get them to clear the knuckles.
So you had 17x9 -12 plus a 2” spacer and that was the smallest spacer that’d work?

so you had like -63 offset?

OP
OP
T JAZ

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
So you had 17x9 -12 plus a 2” spacer and that was the smallest spacer that’d work?

so you had like -63 offset?
Yes correct. They were a set of fuel Hostages, 17x9 -12mm. Plus a 2” spacer. Honestly it didn’t seem like it stuck out that much though.
1jdEGo.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca