Lightweight 22's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J3FF3RSON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Good morning everyone,

I have the factory 22's, and do really like the way they look, however, they are certainly heavy. I wanted to know if any of you guys have been running a lighter weight 22" wheel to reduce rolling mass. Does a high quality lightweight wheel of that size even exist? I've considered buying a set of smaller rims for the track, but more so this set will be used for the street.

I've seen several brands out there, but I'm not familiar with some of them. If you can, please share your lightweight 22" set-ups.

I've never ran a rim size this large, so I apologize if this is a silly question. Thanks in advance!

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The R/T 22's are relatively light for being 22's. They are forged aluminim & weigh 77 lbs w/ the rim & tire. Thats not great but not terrible either.

BigDogg795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I vaguely recall a thread a while back about someone commissioning a fabricator to produce a forged lightweight wheel...problem is I don't remember if it was for a Ram or it was for a Tacoma (my previous truck lol).

Either way I do remember they had gotten some fantastic weight savings but it was also buku bucks. Anything is possible with enough money.

FlynDutchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have looked into wheel weights and tire weights. The 20" and 22" wheel and tire set ups are about the same weight in factory form. Some tires are definitely lighter than others, here are tire weights straight from Tire Racks website.

All tires are 285 45 22
Michelin Defender LTX m/s 33 lbs
Goodyear Fortera (factory tire) 38 lbs
Continental LX20 41 lbs
Kumho Ecsta STX 43 lbs
Pirelli Verde All Season Plus 45 lbs

You may want to leave the rimes and just get a better lighter tire. The factory Goodyears do not have good reviews while oddly enough the Michelin that is the lightest has the best reviews. If you still want a lighter wheel plan on paying $1300+ a wheel for something custom built. I have been unable to find anyone making a reasonable forged option for our RAM's. I will be getting 22" R/T replica's made in the USA and Michelins for my truck! Combined weight of this set up is 71 lbs, I hope this information helps.

Last edited:

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
A forged aluminum wheel is lighter than a cast aluminum wheel, as well as stronger. Unfortunately they are also much more expensive. American Force, Specialty Forged and Center Line are the most popular brands.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A forged aluminum wheel is lighter than a cast aluminum wheel, as well as stronger. Unfortunately they are also much more expensive. American Force, Specialty Forged and Center Line are the most popular brands.

As well as weld and forgiato. There's others but they are primarily for lifted trucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are many light weight 22's, just break out the checkbook cause many of them are well over $2-5k a piece......

There is no "economical" light weight solution.

I have a set of R/T 22's that came on my truck that have nexen rubber on them, I also have a set of 22x10 SRT replicas wrapped with Toyo Proxes II's and the weight differnce was only 6 lbs....

So either the Nexen rubber is really heavy and the Toyo isn't too heavy or the wheels aren't really that far apart.

Seems like there are more light weight options for 20's and 20" rubber than there is for 22's