Limited slip not engaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woody1

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
2018 Cummins 2500 with a factory limited slip. I was up hunting last few weeks. We had a couple inches of snow fall overnight, being on some mountain roads I put it on 4X4.

I got stuck 4 times in 2" of snow. I had one tire in front and one in the rear spinning. My old second gen was a beast in the snow and I never got stuck.

Anyone else having these problems or is there a trick to engage the limited slip? I know the truck has it, I've had it engage before in some wet grass.

Would the cold 12° have anything to do with it not engaging?

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you were on fairly flat ground and both rear tires were in the snow then both should be spinning. If there is a big enough difference in traction side to side then the factory limited slip may not be able to overcome the difference. Not sure I would say that the limited slip in these "engages"...not like an on/off switch. If both tires don't start spinning from the very start they probably won't start spinning. Also keep in mind that even an regular open diff will sometimes spin both rear tires if the traction is equal between them. Have you double-checked the option codes to verify it does have a limited slip, or you could run the VIN and verify it.

Ltngdrvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The "limited slip" in the HD trucks is a helical gear type, like a Torsen, not like the old clutch type, it needs some resistance on one side to get it to work.
Sometimes you can apply the parking brake some to get the resistance you need in high slip conditions.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The "limited slip" in the HD trucks is a helical gear type, like a Torsen, not like the old clutch type, it needs some resistance on one side to get it to work.
Sometimes you can apply the parking brake some to get the resistance you need in high slip conditions.
Yes, but to clarify only if there is a large traction difference between the two rear tires, like if you are crossed up and one side is barely touching the ground. Lightly dragging the brakes can get it to transfer power.

OP
OP
Woody1

Woody1

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes, but to clarify only if there is a large traction difference between the two rear tires, like if you are crossed up and one side is barely touching the ground. Lightly dragging the brakes can get it to transfer power.

I think that's exactly what was happening, I was stopped on a turn going up hill.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nick_Mac