Looking at 97 2500 v10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbrodacz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
I am condering buying a 97 2500 with the v10 5sp 4x4 but wanted to get some feedback first. This would be my 4th ram. I sold my last one in Nov and I have wanted another one ever since. I want a diesel but will have to wait till next year so I am trying to find something that will last me until then. A friend of my wives has a 97 2500 for sale. It has the typical ram rust on the doors and fenders (not too concern as long as the floor boards and frames are solid) My real concern is that the truck has 222,000 miles on it. It seems like a lot and worries me it may not last much longer. He said it runs great, doesn't burn oil or leak. I know the 5sp are a pretty solid trans. Any thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those V10's are pretty good motors. I've seen plenty with that many miles and still ticking, nothing wrong with them. If you're concerned look everything over and do a compression test on the engine. That'll help you figure out if the engine is still going good or not.

Sent from the howitzer

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 2500 5-speed, soon to be leveled on 33's
Engine
5.9 Magnum
^Yup. And obviously a good test drive,don't be afraid to get on it and make sure she shifts through the way she's supposed to. 5speed is a bit bulky, but I love mine in my 96 3/4 v8.
will this be your first second gen?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
I am condering buying a 97 2500 with the v10 5sp 4x4 but wanted to get some feedback first. This would be my 4th ram. I sold my last one in Nov and I have wanted another one ever since. I want a diesel but will have to wait till next year so I am trying to find something that will last me until then. A friend of my wives has a 97 2500 for sale. It has the typical ram rust on the doors and fenders (not too concern as long as the floor boards and frames are solid) My real concern is that the truck has 222,000 miles on it. It seems like a lot and worries me it may not last much longer. He said it runs great, doesn't burn oil or leak. I know the 5sp are a pretty solid trans. Any thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

If its in good shape go for it. Like the others said, 222k isnt that bad. If it were me, id buy it, make some little upgrades (maintenance), and then sell it for a little more than you bought it for. Thats what id do.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
The v10 is a very reliable motor. Ive seen more than a few with 300, 400, 450k+ on em original engine.