Looking at buying a 2006 2500 Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ctc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 etorque
I am looking hard at one for sale right now with about 250K miles on the motor and trans. Anything specific I should be looking for when I go see this truck in person? TIA for your help.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I'd ask for any records to see when/if any or all the following has been replaced:

transmission and torque converter, lift pump, high pressure fuel pump, injectors, ball joints, all the steering linkage, steering box, heater core, hvac doors, rotors, front hubs, and axles service along with all u-joints.

That's a good start. And I'd only ask any of that if the floor, rockers, fenders, bed, and chassis isn't rotted out. No sense wasting your or sellers time on a rot box.

If you're not familiar with these trucks I'd find a mechanic or enthusiast who is to help you inspect it. Good luck in your search.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Great truck.....But it's also 17 years old so don't expect it to be trouble free. You could be looking at transmission rebuild, injectors, surely frontend parts (they were terrible on the 3rd gens) etc. I wouldn't be looking at this for a cross country tow vehicle. Bottom line it's old and will require parts sooner than later. Sure, it has life left but it's not going to be without some work at some point

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I have read of gen 3 Cummins still running after1,000,000 miles, my cousin had long flat bed 3500 with manual trans that he retired north of 750,000 miles and it still ran good but the rest of the truck was turning into shambles. As was stated previously, it all depends on maintenance and how it was driven.

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I'd like to add. "and where it was stored when not in use, garage or outside - makes a difference."

Mike

OP
OP
ctc

ctc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 etorque
Thank you all for your input. I should have stated that it will not be a daily driver. I got rid of my 2019 RAM 1500 for an SUV but still want a truck on the property for occasional light hauling and the fairly rare snow plowing if we get snow. Some winters we get 3-4 good storms and some we get none. I've always wanted a diesel but understand a truck of this age is going to need work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357