Looking at mega cab 3500 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX 4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dont see much talk about the 1 ton trucks or the mega cab aspect, are they just not popular? we have a ton of them around here where i live.

Also looking to see if anyone actually thought dave smiths was worth the hassle?

Currently have a 1500 that i use for my business work but we are looking to get another truck (diesel) to tow our camping trailer and to do our road trips etc with. Our trailer is 31ft and 7700 lbs so we are maxed out currently and usually stick to flat trips.

Most likely going to go with a new 14 unless anyone sees a benefit to waiting?

What are some options you liked or wished you had with your truck when you purchased?

nukeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I think you're an excellent candidate for a 1500 eco diesel. Just my .02

As far as Dave Smith motors; I've bought 3 trucks from them over the years, first was way back in '95. If you have your own financing, and no trade, they are absolutely the best deal you'll find. They have every possible configuration in stock, good people, and great prices. I was in and out every time in less than 1 hour. Largest ram dealer in the world in little Kellogg Idaho.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Also looking to see if anyone actually thought dave smiths was worth the hassle?

Not even worth my strokes typing about them. I chatted with them for a week or so when I was purchasing a few months ago. When I hinted at what I was paying through the Costco auto purchase program I never heard back. Not even the usual email 2 weeks later to follow up. The only price I could beat out of them was about the same as my local dealer's "no haggle bottom line price". Costco beat that by about 1700 on a 40K truck. If you're serious about purchasing do yourself a favor and at least check out Costco and compare with the best price you find elsewhere.

OP
OP
J

Jeepkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think you're an excellent candidate for a 1500 eco diesel. Just my .02

As far as Dave Smith motors; I've bought 3 trucks from them over the years, first was way back in '95. If you have your own financing, and no trade, they are absolutely the best deal you'll find. They have every possible configuration in stock, good people, and great prices. I was in and out every time in less than 1 hour. Largest ram dealer in the world in little Kellogg Idaho.

I dont think the ecodiesel of a 1500 would be acceptable to tow what we have, we are already to a point of shear size limitiations.

OP
OP
J

Jeepkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not even worth my strokes typing about them. I chatted with them for a week or so when I was purchasing a few months ago. When I hinted at what I was paying through the Costco auto purchase program I never heard back. Not even the usual email 2 weeks later to follow up. The only price I could beat out of them was about the same as my local dealer's "no haggle bottom line price". Costco beat that by about 1700 on a 40K truck. If you're serious about purchasing do yourself a favor and at least check out Costco and compare with the best price you find elsewhere.

always forget to do the costco program, was it something you just do online?

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Single wheel or dual?
Mega cabs usually loose some payload because of the weight distribution over the rear axle

OP
OP
J

Jeepkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We will be a single wheel. Not really to worried for payload as this will really be a pretty truck to tow the family around

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Badunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The Megacab will be popular with your family; lots of leg room, three real rear seats (not 2 seats and a raised center seat like the other configurations). The diesel will have no problem hauling it around.

There isn't much call for Megacabs around here (Northern VA) due to the length. Same with long beds. Our parking lots are tightly spaced; tight spots and narrow aisles. A Megacab short bed is longer than the typical parking space and you would have a difficult time getting in or out of any parking spaces around here.

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I love my mega cab, there's not many here either in my area but cant beat the room in a mega, parking lot spaces I just park in the middle of four of'em been doin it for years and its good for not getting door dings as well

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Had my 14 mega cab 3500 for about 6 months now, I love it. It is long and harder to park/turn around. but well worth it if you really need the interior back seat space. I have no kids living at home just me and the wife, but my hunting dogs use the back, loads of room for them, their kennels and any other equipment I need, some people will say that's what the bed of the truck is for, but when it's below freezing out and the dogs are wet or covered in snow I like them to be inside the truck they get cold just like you and I do.

Glad I bought it and would never own another truck that wasn't this big inside.

Tuffguy707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
A lot of what kills the mega cab for me is the lack of a long bed and the conversion is $10k. As for length my crew cab long bed is actually longer than the mega cab as mine is 169" wheel base and the mega is 160". If Ram made the long bed in the mega id have one. Id do the conversion but another $10k on top of a $70k truck is just not going to happen. I did the calculations and i will actually get more out of my CC LB in 5 years when i trade it in then i will for a converted mega if you consider the added money you have to put in to make it a long bed there for I'm just going to live with the lack of reclining rear seats and the room for luggage behind the back seats. If you look at the leg room in a 13 CC compared to the mega its the same. the only thing not there on the CC is the reclining seats and storage behind the seats. just my $.02

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I couldn't live without an 8' box, and I think there is LOADS of room in the back of the new crew cabs. I don't think they are really any more difficult to drive than any other truck. I think the most common mistake I see in parking lots is trucks nosed into spaces. You are better off backing that bad boy in, way easier.

Plus the behind the seat storage in the mega can't be that much to sacrifice the extra few inches of cab for. By the time you put a tool box/fuel tank in the bed, and try to hitch up a trailer, a short box won't give you enough space. Get a topper for the 8' box, and you can bring your run around car with you in the bed along with ANY other gear you want.

Just my 2 cents though.

OP
OP
J

Jeepkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I couldn't live without an 8' box, and I think there is LOADS of room in the back of the new crew cabs. I don't think they are really any more difficult to drive than any other truck. I think the most common mistake I see in parking lots is trucks nosed into spaces. You are better off backing that bad boy in, way easier.

Plus the behind the seat storage in the mega can't be that much to sacrifice the extra few inches of cab for. By the time you put a tool box/fuel tank in the bed, and try to hitch up a trailer, a short box won't give you enough space. Get a topper for the 8' box, and you can bring your run around car with you in the bed along with ANY other gear you want.

Just my 2 cents though.

I totally agree on the 8' box currently i have the 6' one on my 1500 and i find myself running out of space with my company.

My instructions were very clear from the wife, no crap in this truck, the most this thing will ever see is a small box in the back to hold some straps and a few blankets. That is the only way i am getting the ok to even get the truck.

Trying to decide between the regular bed or the ram boxes dont know if the roughly $1300 price tag is worth them?

OP
OP
J

Jeepkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had my 14 mega cab 3500 for about 6 months now, I love it. It is long and harder to park/turn around. but well worth it if you really need the interior back seat space. I have no kids living at home just me and the wife, but my hunting dogs use the back, loads of room for them, their kennels and any other equipment I need, some people will say that's what the bed of the truck is for, but when it's below freezing out and the dogs are wet or covered in snow I like them to be inside the truck they get cold just like you and I do.

Glad I bought it and would never own another truck that wasn't this big inside.

Can i ask what your final sales price was? i checked out the costco program and it sent me back to the local dealer that doesnt seem to want to budge on price. I read elsewhere to shoot for 78%-81% of the msrp price. but our dealer only wants to give the few rebates, dam guy keeps calling me driving me nuts but wont budge or get close to that.

Does anyone know is there a better time of the year to buy IE " truck month? end of the months? during winter? can i order and since they have it sold they will do better?"

This is my first new vehicle purchase, everything else has been used or almost dead when i bought

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I was watching Don Imus this morning on the fox business channel and he is trying to buy one in Texas for his ranch. The local dealer wanted sticker price on a $72,000 truck. Now he is getting bad mouthed for trying to stick it to a national DJ. That dealer is pretty stupid IMO.

Airborne63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Megacab will be popular with your family; lots of leg room, three real rear seats (not 2 seats and a raised center seat like the other configurations). The diesel will have no problem hauling it around.

There isn't much call for Megacabs around here (Northern VA) due to the length. Same with long beds. Our parking lots are tightly spaced; tight spots and narrow aisles. A Megacab short bed is longer than the typical parking space and you would have a difficult time getting in or out of any parking spaces around here.

I have a hell of a time parking my CC with the 6.4 ft bed in NOVA. Glad I have sensors both front and back.

AV8B6015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I love my 2500 Mega.

As far as options, I got a Laramie that's pretty loaded. Not maxed out, but it has more than I need.
I will say that I wish I had the cargo camera, but to get it, you sacrifice rain sensing wipers and auto high beams, or so I have been told. I also wish I had front parking sensors.
To me, the extra room in the cab is awesome. Kids love that they can recline the seats. I like the fact that there is some storage there, too. Fold flat seats in the back are awesome, too.

Last edited:

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Maga cab 4x4 dually!!! That's the über truck!!!

katokahn99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
For your trailer weight, the 2500 MC should be plenty. Mine sure is for me.
I didn't need the park sense but I did get the backup camera and the cargo camera. Good gear! I love being able to back up to a gooseneck very precisely with the high mounted cargo camera. And my RetraxPro does not interfere with the gooseneck...plenty of space. I think I would be OK if I ever decided to put a 5er in.
If you want the 3500 Mega, I say GO FOR IT!