Looking at new tires, need some opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm getting ready to get some new tires for my 17 2wd 1500, and would like some opinions. I dont do any real off roading (hence the 2wd), but I do go camping quite a bit and I did get stuck on the beach a few weeks ago in some soft sand. I know tires alone wont prevent that, but it could help.

I'm currently looking at Mickey Thompson Baja ATZP3 and BFG AT T/A KO2, both in 305/55 20. I'm planning to keep my stock wheels, and might level the truck (undecided as of yet on that one).

Anyone have any experience with both? If so, preference? I know a lot of guys run or have run BFG, as they have been around for a long time, but I've not read anything about the MTs. Any experience with them anyone can share?

Also, I've read that for some people, 33x12.5 20 fit on stock wheels with no spacers on stock 2wd, and I've read that some people have had rubbing issues. When I get back on land, I will crawl under my truck and measure current clearances and see if I can do the math and check, but anyone run that size on stock 20x8 wheels on a 2wd with no lift/level? Any issues?

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
More looking around has me looking at Falken Wildpeak AT3W.

They’re considerably less expensive and seem to have good reviews. How do they compare in performance?

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
Radar Renegade a/t's.. ride great, great price and 40k warranty

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Went a different route. Just ordered Nitto Ridge Grappler in 285/60 20. I decided I didn’t want to level or lift the truck, and they should fit without issue.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
More looking around has me looking at Falken Wildpeak AT3W.

They’re considerably less expensive and seem to have good reviews. How do they compare in performance?

I haven't owned them but are number 1 on my short list. Guys in. This forum have nothing but good thing to say about them in all weather and all conditions.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve read nothing but positive reviews, they look aggressive, apparently are not very noisy. I live on the Texas Gulf Coast, so we don’t get snow. We do get tons of rain, and they appear to have good wet weather traction as well.

My biggest thing is I do go to the beach some, so I wanted a good AT tire, and we go camping a bit as well. I didn’t want a MT, so these seemed to be my best option in the size I was looking at that is available locally.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got the tires installed this morning. They're the perfect size for staying stock with wheels and suspension. Bigger than stock, but require no trimming or lifting to fit. And they're quite aggressive, with no noticeable road noise over the stock tires at 65-70 mph. Quite happy with how it turned out. Now just gotta get back to the beach and see if they do what how they handle the sand.
truck profile.jpg truck front angle.jpg

Last edited:

Jerzey111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I purchased terra grapplers 2 weeks ago. I considered ridge grapplers but since 95% I'm on the road I figured terra is a better fit. But now you got me second guessing myself haha. Pics are not showing btw

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Be glad you didnt go with the Mickey thompsons. Had mtz's hated them

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Went a different route. Just ordered Nitto Ridge Grappler in 285/60 20. I decided I didn’t want to level or lift the truck, and they should fit without issue.
Have those same tires in 275-65-20 on my 2017. Still only 3k on that truck so I haven't assessed wear, but they are quiet for how aggressive they are and you really needed an LT Tire with the extra weight of the camper especially with gravel road potholes. Think you'll be happy with the choice.

Jeffmiller32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put my old wheels from my 14 on my 16. The 14 was leveled and 4x4. The 16 is 2wd. I’m running 295/60/20s on fuel Mavericks 20x9 0 offset. Zero rubbing except on full lock. I thought I would need a level for them to work. Actually thinking of doing the 2” rear drop to level instead of going up.