Looking for brighter headlights!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Team11haro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok so I’ve been reading threads searching for the best route to go for brighter whiter headlights/fogs.
I just picked up an 18 sport night edition with the black projector headlights and vertical fogs . I’ve read so much debate on what the best solution is and it just has me even more confused... led? Hid? Heck I don’t even know what my bulb setup is I’m new to ram haven’t owned one since 08.. coming back after a decade and 4 chevys later...

1, I want brighter lights
2. I’d prefer to not modify my housings to make a particular setup work
3 I want to keep my headlights waterproof as I don’t want them to fog up every time I go through the car wash
4. White not yellowish color

Suggestions?

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
For reasons I can’t explain people on here will tell you morimoto HIDs are the way to go. Wrong. Get a set of DDM Tuning CANBUS Plus HIDs in 55W power. 5500k will give you the white non-yellowish look you’re looking or. Also, while the kit comes with a grommet for drilling into the housing to run the wires (which is totally easy by the way and the preferred method), if you remove the grommet from the equation, the ballasts, igniters, etc are all plug and play and will fit inside the headlight housing without having to modify it. Seems like this kit ticks off everything on your list and will come in less than $100 shipped.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
6500K HID + OEM projector housings = great white light

You don't need to modify your housings to do them.

No modifications to the housings = water proof housings

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
DDM tuning is the way to go. I went with 35W 5500K. $90 on amazon.

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Following.

1. How easily does the ballast, ignitor, canbus adapter, and wires fit inside the Projector housing? Does it get too hot?
2. How much more light output from the 35w bulbs verses the 55 w bults?
3. What's the life expectancy on these HID bulbs?
4. Any problems with a 2017 2500 canbus and this kit? Dash warning lights?

Lastly, what's the difference between the ultra, HD, and regular DDM Tuning HID kits?

OP
OP
T

Team11haro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6500K HID + OEM projector housings = great white light

You don't need to modify your housings to do them.

No modifications to the housings = water proof housings
What brad are you recommending the ddm as well?

OP
OP
T

Team11haro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Following.

1. How easily does the ballast, ignitor, canbus adapter, and wires fit inside the Projector housing? Does it get too hot?
2. How much more light output from the 35w bulbs verses the 55 w bults?
3. What's the life expectancy on these HID bulbs?
4. Any problems with a 2017 2500 canbus and this kit? Dash warning lights?

Lastly, what's the difference between the ultra, HD, and regular DDM Tuning HID kits?
All great questions I’d like to know as well

bobbo7915

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
another recommendation for the DDM tuning kits, i have the DDM plus canbus kit in 35w, 5500k. make sure to order the error code eliminators.

fitting inside of the housing can be tricky, just need to try a few different ways until it all fits, i have no issue with heat using a 35watt ballast.

there is more output with the 55w kits but they are less effiecient and throw off more heat, the 35 is plenty for me at least.

i have had zero issues with bulbs or ballasts in two years with my DDM kit, did have to replace an error code eliminator though.

no warning lights.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Don’t get the ultra kit, it’s a waste of money and may not work. The ultra kit would flicker off every 5-10 minutes on my mother’s durango, I had to send it back. She was scared and didn’t want me to try any other kits after that. The ultra kit worked on my KL Cherokee, but I went with the plus kit for the truck and it’s been working flawlessly since install. It’s definitely bright. When I’m on hilly roads and a car comes at me below my projector cutoff line, I get a headlight flash every now and then because they think my highs are on.

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ddm canbus plus kit works great!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What brad are you recommending the ddm as well?

I'm not recommending any specific brand.

My experience is I have used Morimoto kits in my last 3 Ram trucks and have had no problems.

OP
OP
T

Team11haro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone sounds like ddm and morimoto both rank well is there somewhere I can tell what bulbs I have in my headlights and fogs my old 14 gmc only had one bulb and a moving mirror for brights

I have an 18 night with black projectors

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used both Diode Dynamics and Xenon Depots kits on my two Rams and haven't had any problems. I believe the DD kit was 5000K and the XD kit on my current Ram is the 4300K kit. Both were around $160 with the Canbus modules. That being said if there's a good kit out there for $90 that sounds like a hell of a deal. By the way the Diode Dynamics kit is still going strong with no issues and its been on that truck since June 2015.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
google h9 to h11 upgrade. cheap and throws insane amount of light.

FYI, probably 50% of my driving is at night.

Bert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

which H9 bulb did you buy? is it bright white as well? and for low beams correct?

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check out the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra. I just went to them and they rock. Folks were high beam flashing me. They are relatively cheap and are holegen. Also the Phillips X-11 X-Treme Vision are great. I have ran both as a test. I tried going with the Opt-7 Fluxbeam X and they are just too dang bright and require resistors that get too hot to be stuffed in the light housing, which means you have to drill through the dust cap....no thx.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
From all the feedback I've been reading about HID's, I've decided to pull the trigger on the DDM Tuning 35W 5500 bulbs. For about $81, they are more affordable that the Diode Dynamics HID kit at $180. Seems like I'll have to wait for 3 weeks to receive them as shipping originates from China.

I did buy the HIR1 9011 bulbs from Philips and wanted to do the bulb modification for the lows. But I read somewhere that the estimated bulb life is only around 400 hours. So I will just use them for my highs.

I'll swap out the 9006's in the fogs with the 9005's from the lows and see how they look. If the color is off too much, I'll just buy a LED set from a reputable vendor like Diode Dynamics.

cpotts13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi

This is what I did... Here are some after pictures... btw these are the Philips 9011HIR bulbs. About $30 from Amazon.

The thing with HIDS are that the projectors are designed for halogen bulbs. Like a member mentioned above, they have been flashed by other drivers because the light isn't projecting correctly. If you want to do HIDs properly and not blind others you should look into a retrofit. Putting HIDs in halogen housings (to include halogen projectors) is generally frowned upon on popular forms like HIDplant. Mostly because what I mentioned above. 08dd5857474ebc09fdf7e3ba25a2faa7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk