Looking for hitch receiver help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKP3885

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I bought my tradesman express without a hitch receiver on the back. I'm looking to be towing a trailer for 2 quads in the future, and I'm going to need to add the hitch obviously. I'm wondering what kind of hitch I should buy and can I install it myself? I'm confused because I see the hitch receivers with the bar and all, and then just a hitch receiver that has a few bolts and bolts on.

This is what I was looking at. Would this work?
https://www.amazon.com/TYGER®-2003-...id=1466365825&sr=1-51&keywords=receiver+hitch

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The one you posted will work just fine but you need to check what the WD capacities are. I used the curt 13333 on my 06 and worked great it was that same style hitch but it's rated 600 tongue weight 6000 max non weight distributing and 1000 tongue 10k max trailer weight with the weight distributing witch is plenty for these trucks there is only 1 combo 8spd 3.92 axle that's rated to tow more than 10k but it's only by few pounds. So if you don't have the hemi 3.92 8spd this hitch will work perfect https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002...curt+13333&dpPl=1&dpID=415k-9sfGAL&ref=plSrch

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So I bought my tradesman express without a hitch receiver on the back. I'm looking to be towing a trailer for 2 quads in the future, and I'm going to need to add the hitch obviously. I'm wondering what kind of hitch I should buy and can I install it myself? I'm confused because I see the hitch receivers with the bar and all, and then just a hitch receiver that has a few bolts and bolts on.

Hitch receivers come in different classes, classes rate the receivers abilities. Here is an intro to receiver classes:
How To Choose The Right Hitch Class: Class I, II, III, IV & V Tow Capacity Definitions

I would suggest you add the receiver class that the factory provides, Class IV for the 1500s and Class V for the RAM HDs.

You can go to etrailer.com and put in your truck model and get a list of compatible items.

Jackfate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you like overkill , look at torklift. I'll say their stuff is extremely good US made.

05christj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
When i added mine i just went with mopar, nice clean install and intended for the weight that the truck was rated to pull.