Looking for oil advise-

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I now live in a rather “Hot” environment- previously I saw temps of -10 to 115F
Now I am likely to just see temps of 40- 130F.
Most of the year it will be 80F plus in heat, is the 0-40 still the best option for weight?
2014 Ram 2500 6.4

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There is a synthetic oil forum on Tapatalk. Good forum and lots of sound information

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Yes, you are fine with those temps using that grade of oil. It is not about outside temps, it is about how hot your engine oil actually gets and how well your cooling system can keep it in check. If it is 115F outside, but your cooling system can carry enough heat away for you to maintain 210F oil temps, then it really doesn't matter what the outside temp is. My engine oil constantly runs at 203F when I am not towing.

As you can see in the viscosity grades in this Link. The max viscosity of SAE grade 40 oil is measured at 212F(100C). If you notice your oil temp going above that on a constant basis then maybe it maybe you might want to consider more frequent oil changes or a higher grade like 0W-50.

Last edited:

oilslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500 4x4 Bighorn Built to Serve edition
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
0w-40 will be fine. Especially if you use a quality brand such as Amsoil, Royal Purple, Redline, etc., etc.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I now live in a rather “Hot” environment- previously I saw temps of -10 to 115F
Now I am likely to just see temps of 40- 130F.
Most of the year it will be 80F plus in heat, is the 0-40 still the best option for weight?
2014 Ram 2500 6.4

I don't know from experience but I have seen a few posts on here that you can throw a code if you start experimenting with different viscosities than what is recommended. The way the MDS is set up it is very finicky of the viscosity. As ST stated you should be ok if your oil temp is staying within range. Today's synthetic oil is sooo much better than regular oil was 20-30 years ago. It usually gets dirty way before it ever breaks down.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You will be fine with 0-40. Like said above just use a quality synthetic. We offer Redline synthetic oil and forum discounts!

OP
OP
Ratket

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^ I am thinking I am going to switch to redline next oil change. I have either massive hemi tick or injector noise. The service writer at the dealership started off saying it is normal noise from the injectors, and then he ended the conversation with it is just a “ Hemi tick” it doesn’t matter if it is warm or cold, but once I get on the gas it’s there, if my windows are down I hear it over my exhaust, it’s starting to really **** me off. It’s really really loud in my garage.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
That does not sound normal to me. Isn't the hemi tick just an idle issue or is it throughout the rpm range?

I don't know if your still in warranty, but if you are there is a Mopar spec oil they want you to use and from what i can tell so far, very few oils meet that spec. Pennsoil ultra platinum does and is the reccomended oil.

What are you running now?

What are

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
^^ I am thinking I am going to switch to redline next oil change. I have either massive hemi tick or injector noise. The service writer at the dealership started off saying it is normal noise from the injectors, and then he ended the conversation with it is just a “ Hemi tick” it doesn’t matter if it is warm or cold, but once I get on the gas it’s there, if my windows are down I hear it over my exhaust, it’s starting to really **** me off. It’s really really loud in my garage.
Check your exhaust manifold bolts. Those can be a reason for the tick. There is a good amount of Moly in Redline. Bobtheoilguy has a list compiled of some oils and their moly ppm count. Autozone has a pure moly additive for 9 dollars. I used Hyperlube on my 2004 hemi with great results. No more tick

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
Using redline oil with royal purple oil filters.Good stuff IMHO.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Redline is worth a shot then. It seems to solve the Hemi tick for most people. Let me know when your ready and we can get you hooked up!

OP
OP
Ratket

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am currently running penzoil ultra- have been since the truck was new. It’s deffintly not and exhaust leak, took it to a muffler shop and they checked all the bolts. At idle it is quiet as a whistle. As soon as I drop it into gear, that’s when you hear it. Anytime I am On the throttle or the truck is “under a load” that’s when I hear it, injectors make sense as more throttle makes it louder except for the fact that while in park it is almost non existant.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Hummmm.....well that's not good.

I recall reading a thread recently where the poster had a tick and it wound up being 2 cam lobes were wiped out. Not to say that's your issue, but felt it worth mentioning. Do you hear it if you rev it in park?

Doing it more under load is not suprising. That's when issues become more apparent . Hope its an easy fix. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ratket

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First I got to get the dealership to take it serious and I have to find time to take it in. It’s our o my vehicle and I work from 5:30am till 7:00pm so i can’t take it in. I could have my wife take it in, but we all know they won’t take her seriously and it would just be a wasted day and a hassle for her. Looks like I will just be taking time off of work some time to take it in.

I can hear it in park, but barely, only reason I can hear it is i am used to it and it drives me nuts. In my garage when we start it it’s barely noticeable.. I typically let the truck idle for a minute, then as soon as I pull it down to drive - there it is ticking away.

Last edited:

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I had the “Hemi Tick” for a while. I finally got sick of it, and took it in. One of my lifters were stuck. The dealership replaced all of the lifters on the driver’s side. The Tick is gone now.

Can you hear the sound louder on one side of the vehicle?

My Tick was noticeably louder on the driver’s side of the vehicle.

Teknoracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could be a purge solenoid maybe? They are loud and "tickey" on other vehicles ive worked on

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
You will be fine with 0-40. Like said above just use a quality synthetic. We offer Redline synthetic oil and forum discounts!
What is the price for 12 quarts 0w-40 shipped to Michigan 49249?I sent you a PM but never heard back..:happy107:

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is the price for 12 quarts 0w-40 shipped to Michigan 49249?I sent you a PM but never heard back..:happy107:

Oh wow sorry about that. not sure how that happened! i apologize. I will work that up NOW and PM you ASAP!!

CSMreb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How much for redline 5w20 to 37130

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members