Loose CV Shafts/Intermediate Shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2017 1500 has a vibration I can't get rid of and lots slop in the right CV shaft where it goes into the diff/intermiediate shaft. I replace the CV shaft a year ago and it improved but still had movement and is now quite bad again. It looks like i am going to have to replace the right intermediate shaft and CV shaft together to fix it. I don't usually buy chinese no-name parts but i've spent a ton of money lately so money is tight at the moment. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these ebay kits? Also, I am wondering if I am better off keeping my original OEM quality but 100K mile bearings if they seem in good shape or use these new but chinese bearings? Also, any pointers about doing the work would be appreciated. I found a video of doing this with the entire diff out of the truck on Youtube but I want to do it in the truck and with no lift. Thanks!

1686971729347.png

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Watch the video again and again until you understand why you need to remove it from the truck.

You dont reuse bearings, and OEM bearings are nothing more than Timken's.

All the pointers are in the Roods transmission YT video.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Huh? If the bearings are not worn or damaged then why not?

Because its a 20$ part and the whole diff is appart.

And this also gives you time to put the New bearing inside the freezer before you start your job ;)

Most guys dont have abor presses either. So he will damage the bearing trying to pull it off the old shaft guaranteed.

Last edited by a moderator:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Because its a 20$ part and the whole diff is appart.

And this also gives you time to put the New bearing inside the freezer before you start your job ;)

Most guys dont have abor presses either. So he will damage the bearing trying to pull it off the old shaft guaranteed.

There's no reason to replace the bearing unless it's worn or damaged, it's your opinion to replace them just because.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
My 2017 1500 has a vibration I can't get rid of and lots slop in the right CV shaft where it goes into the diff/intermiediate shaft. I replace the CV shaft a year ago and it improved but still had movement and is now quite bad again. It looks like i am going to have to replace the right intermediate shaft and CV shaft together to fix it. I don't usually buy chinese no-name parts but i've spent a ton of money lately so money is tight at the moment. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these ebay kits? Also, I am wondering if I am better off keeping my original OEM quality but 100K mile bearings if they seem in good shape or use these new but chinese bearings? Also, any pointers about doing the work would be appreciated. I found a video of doing this with the entire diff out of the truck on Youtube but I want to do it in the truck and with no lift. Thanks!

View attachment 523128
What kind of vibration are you getting, constant? Rotational? Certain speeds or turns? Curious.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's no reason to replace the bearing unless it's worn or damaged, it's your opinion to replace them just because.

Please enlighten me on how to remove that bearing without the proper tools that is obvious the OP dosent have just by the way he's asking the question.

A shop will charge him more to pull that bering than what it worth as well.

But what do I know I do this **** all the time in a home shop and not some fully kitted out shop.

OP
OP

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What kind of vibration are you getting, constant? Rotational? Certain speeds or turns? Curious.
At highway speed. Especially bad around 70 and up. Also, I replaced the right side CV a year ago and it improved some for a while. Now it is really loose and the vibration is worse again. Definitely far from what anyone would consider normal.

Last edited:
OP
OP

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Watch the video again and again until you understand why you need to remove it from the truck.

You dont reuse bearings, and OEM bearings are nothing more than Timken's.

All the pointers are in the Roods transmission YT video.
I did find a video after I posted this where a guy did it without removing it from the truck. It seemed like it went well that way. Also, I agree about not reusing bearings in general but in this case I was just thinking the OEMs are going to be much better quality than the ones in this kit. Of course, If it likely that I would damage them then that's a different story.

OP
OP

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you don’t like the bearings that come in the kit, go and separately buy a couple of higher quality bearings.

Tiny bearings like those do not have any tolerance for hammer therapy.
Yes, I will see if I can find them by themselves. It seems like they may be hard to find that way.

OP
OP

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're already in there just replace it what's the big deal!!!
Well, the only big deal is if I can't find OEM level quality bearings individually. I was told that RAM doesn't sell them separately but I will look again and look aftermarket.

Last edited:
OP
OP

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No luck finding part numbers, dimensions, or anything else for the bearings so I can buy good quality ones. I guess I will have to go with the ones in the kit and hope they hold up.

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're already in there just replace it what's the big deal!!!
This is my opinion too. The time pulling it apart is with doing it right the first time. This is also why I replaced my intermediate shaft at the same time as my CV despite it looking fine. It is opinion but geared more toward saving time (money!) later and having more confidence in your drivetrain on long trips.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is my opinion too. The time pulling it apart is with doing it right the first time. This is also why I replaced my intermediate shaft at the same time as my CV despite it looking fine. It is opinion but geared more toward saving time (money!) later and having more confidence in your drivetrain on long trips.
I agree. If i read the original post correctly, there's 100K on this vehicle. I don't like to do the same repair twice. I'd find factory quality bearings and install them while everything's apart.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 93031 miles.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you running oversized tires? Or a lifted front end?