Low voltage, no start, new battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I having a no start issue. I replaced the battery, have tried getting a jump, and it still won't start. Any ideas?

Attached is a screenshot of some codes.

Thank in advanceScreenshot_20230709_125118.jpg

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
delete

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Frank,

Could you provide some history on this incident?
When was the truck last working correctly?
Were any installations or modifications made before the problem first appeared?
What is the voltage of the installed battery?
Have you load-tested the new battery?
When you attempt to start, does the truck crank sufficiently and just not start?

OP
OP
Frankwhoa

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a no start about a week ago. Got a jump and drove it home. Put a charger on it over night assuming my 1.5 year old battery was going bad. I had no issue for a couple of days but replaced the battery anyway with a new one from Wal-Mart (AGM platinum). I topped off that first (was at 85% when purchased). No issue for a few days. Now a no crank. Tried jumping, disconnecting battery, etc. No go so I got towed home.
I bought the truck used about 10 months ago.

I've not touched anything or load tested anything. Truck seemed to want to turn over barely when I reset the battery cables but otherwise, nothing. It's telling me it's not in Park. I can't switch the selector at all in any position. All 4 lights are lit.

It will only go to acc or run right now, won't even turn off.

2019 1500 Laramie Sport 5th gen 64k miles

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankwhoa

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Frank,

Could you provide some history on this incident?
When was the truck last working correctly?
Were any installations or modifications made before the problem first appeared?
What is the voltage of the installed battery?
Have you load-tested the new battery?
When you attempt to start, does the truck crank sufficiently and just not start?
Thanks See above.

Jay P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Do you have a volt meter to check actual battery voltage (low battery voltage will cause all kinds of issues)? Looks like all or most of those comm error codes are TCM related. Is it possible that the connection to the tranny controller got bumped when the battery was replaced (have no idea where the TCM is on a 1500). The BCM won't let the truck start if it doesn't see all the inputs it expects.

Jay

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If I'm interpreting your issue correctly, the no start issue was occurring before you installed the new battery?

I'd get a DVM on the battery as suggested above. The new battery is most likely good but it's discharged now.

I am betting on a parasitic drain on your battery which is running it down so your truck won't start.

Lots of threads here on how to troubleshoot that problem.

Good luck!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My money is on the parasitic drain too.

I'd disconnect the negative battery terminal ASAP and connect a charger onto the battery set to about 5 Amps or less, if you have the time to wait.

Then reconnect the negative terminal after confirming the voltage at 12.5 - 12.8 VDC minimum. See if the codes have cleared, then before attempting a start, see if the truck enters sleep mode after about 10 minutes.

If it doesn't sleep, chase that problem before worrying about starting. If it doesn't sleep before you're finished troubleshooting for the day, remove the negative battery terminal again and confirm the float voltage is still OK.

Charge again with a smart charger/battery minder if required and start again the next day.

OP
OP
Frankwhoa

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I'd disconnect the negative battery terminal ASAP and connect a charger onto the battery set to about 5 Amps or less, if you have the time to wait.

Then reconnect the negative terminal after confirming the voltage at 12.5 - 12.8 VDC minimum. See if the codes have cleared, then before attempting a start, see if the truck enters sleep mode after about 10 minutes.

If it doesn't sleep, chase that problem before worrying about starting. If it doesn't sleep before you're finished troubleshooting for the day, remove the negative battery terminal again and confirm the float voltage is still OK.

Charge again with a smart charger/battery minder if required and start again the next day.

Will do. Thanks

OP
OP
Frankwhoa

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I'm interpreting your issue correctly, the no start issue was occurring before you installed the new battery?

I'd get a DVM on the battery as suggested above. The new battery is most likely good but it's discharged now.

I am betting on a parasitic drain on your battery which is running it down so your truck won't start.

Lots of threads here on how to troubleshoot that problem.

Good luck!
Battery load test passed.

OP
OP
Frankwhoa

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I am getting B2183-11 and U0101-00 codes with a fresh load tested battery. Any thoughts?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am getting B2183-11 and U0101-00 codes with a fresh load tested battery. Any thoughts?

In post #5, you mentioned that a new WalMart AGM battery was installed and that it worked for a few days and then wouldn't start again.

Next, in post #13 it says the battery load test was successful.

How did we get from a no-start, possibly dead battery to passing a load test?
Also, I haven't seen any mention of the battery voltage yet.

These trucks are rolling computers and get all squirrelly with anything less than a functional battery.

OP
OP
Frankwhoa

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In post #5, you mentioned that a new WalMart AGM battery was installed and that it worked for a few days and then wouldn't start again.

Next, in post #13 it says the battery load test was successful.

How did we get from a no-start, possibly dead battery to passing a load test?
Also, I haven't seen any mention of the battery voltage yet.

These trucks are rolling computers and get all squirrelly with anything less than a functional battery.

I should have load tested the orignal battery but I bought a new one. Since that didn't fix my issue, I then took them both to AutoZone and had them load tested...

My no start is still there. The batteries are not the problem.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I should have load tested the orignal battery but I bought a new one. Since that didn't fix my issue, I then took them both to AutoZone and had them load tested...

My no start is still there. The batteries are not the problem.

If you know what the problem is or is not, why are you here asking questions?

All of these Ram trucks are very sensitive to any voltage irregularities and that's why the question keeps appearing. :cool:

OP
OP
Frankwhoa

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you know what the problem is or is not, why are you here asking questions?

All of these Ram trucks are very sensitive to any voltage irregularities and that's why the question keeps appearing. :cool:

You asked if the battery was good. I said it is. You're questioning that. I've tried two. Load tested as suggested and still have a no start.
Not sure what else you want me to do with the batteries. I'm just trying to fix my truck.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You asked if the battery was good. I said it is. You're questioning that. I've tried two. Load tested as suggested and still have a no start.
Not sure what else you want me to do with the batteries. I'm just trying to fix my truck.

It doesn't matter how many batteries you've tried, if your vehicle is eating batteries, we need to address that feature before moving forward with anything else.

AFAIK, I have never asked anyone if the battery is good.

How many times do I have to ask the question, what is the battery voltage?

That's 5 times now.

I wouldn't have asked the question if I didn't think it was important.

If you don't have the information, just say so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankwhoa

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It doesn't matter how many batteries you've tried, if your vehicle is eating batteries, we need to address that feature before moving forward with anything else.

AFAIK, I have never asked anyone if the battery is good.

How many times do I have to ask the question, what is the battery voltage?

That's 5 times now.

I wouldn't have asked the question if I didn't think it was important.

If you don't have the information, just say so.

Thanks, but I got it fixed. I appreciate you wanting to assist.