Lowering my truck today. Need help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no, they are off centered because of the axle twist. The stops in the rear hit off center on the axle , almost missing completely.

hmm.... seems like that relationship should be better than that. If the axle gets put back in the same spot via adjustable control arms....then in my mind the bumps stops should line up with whatever contact point its supposed to hit......:emotions122:

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are right, the BT kit does almost ride on the bump stops, but you can get shorter bump stops, or cut down the ones you have now for a little more travel... Did you cut the cup off of the front?

****.... I didn't read the instructions right. I thought it was wanting me to use a grinder to get the OEM bump stop out. I was thinking... wtf? Why would I need to go that. I pulled the thing right out.

That makes more sense... I have the B/T bumpstops bolted in there but the cup is not grinded down. I will have to do that sometime soon.

I have not hit in the front so far. Just the rears (at least it felt like I hit...)

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so on a 2/4 drop it rides on the provided bump stops at all times?

Neither front or rear rides on the bump stops continuously for my truck. However, it does feel like I have hit the rear bump stops a couple times. Maybe I did not actually hit but it sure as hell felt like it....

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Neither front or rear rides on the bump stops continuously for my truck. However, it does feel like I have hit the rear bump stops a couple times. Maybe I did not actually hit but it sure as hell felt like it....

Keep in mind it's going to settle a little, too...

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy ****... . I just checked how close the bump stops are to the plate on the rear axle. They are practically sitting on it... Wow.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy ****... . I just checked how close the bump stops are to the plate on the rear axle. They are practically sitting on it... Wow.

Lol. I told you that... Don't think to deep into it, it isn't necessarily a problem. You can get shorter bump stops, or cut the ones you have.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol. I told you that... Don't think to deep into it, it isn't necessarily a problem. You can get shorter bump stops, or cut the ones you have.

I mean, these are the shorter ones that come with the B/T kit. I guess I could try and cut them shorter. Though knowing my skills I would probably hack the crap out of them.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I mean, these are the shorter ones that come with the B/T kit. I guess I could try and cut them shorter. Though knowing my skills I would probably hack the crap out of them.

I don't think you are giving yourself enough credit... Maybe put them in a vice and cut them with a handsaw.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think you are giving yourself enough credit... Maybe put them in a vice and cut them with a handsaw.

At this point I feel like I have made up my mind that I want either 3" drop springs in the rear or 2" drop springs. Not sure I am would be able to buy just 3" drop springs or 2" drop springs by themselves.

Ground force offers 3" drop springs for the rear but from what I have seen they seem to only offer that in a "package"...

Had I known that the rear would be like this I probably would of gotten the GF 2/3 instead to begin with. Though the truck does feel good handling wise. However, for me it just is not practical as a DD to be hitting the bump stops on both my commute to work and from work (while I am trying to be as careful as possible to avoid or slow down for pot holes/expansion joints/ road imperfections).

razor1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that is the nature of the beast. Everyone that drops a truck tens to be more careful around dips and potholes, I know I do.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At this point I feel like I have made up my mind that I want either 3" drop springs in the rear or 2" drop springs. Not sure I am would be able to buy just 3" drop springs or 2" drop springs by themselves.

Ground force offers 3" drop springs for the rear but from what I have seen they seem to only offer that in a "package"...

Had I known that the rear would be like this I probably would of gotten the GF 2/3 instead to begin with. Though the truck does feel good handling wise. However, for me it just is not practical as a DD to be hitting the bump stops on both my commute to work and from work (while I am trying to be as careful as possible to avoid or slow down for pot holes/expansion joints/ road imperfections).

Crown Suspension offers 3" lowering springs. I have been thinking about doing their 2/3 springs. There are several people on here running their springs that are happy. I would much rather have a 2/3 for the rake. Level trucks to me dont look as good. But thats just me, some people like a rake, some people like them level & millenials like to lift the front up high & dont touch the backend. Lol

http://www.crownsuspension.com/2009-2016-ram-1500/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Crown Suspension offers 3" lowering springs. I have been thinking about doing their 2/3 springs. There are several people on here running their springs that are happy. I would much rather have a 2/3 for the rake. Level trucks to me dont look as good. But thats just me, some people like a rake, some people like them level & millenials like to lift the front up high & dont touch the backend. Lol

2009-2016 Ram 1500: Crown Suspension Lowering Kits Lift Kits Airride Leveling Kits

To me, nothing looks worse than a truck with the rear sitting lower than the front. Right now my truck sits pretty much level but it is very close to sitting back lower. It would not take much weight in the rear to push it past that threshold.

I actually prefer the truck to sit slightly higher in the rear. I think that a 3" drop would look quite good. I did not realize that the Belltech 2/4 would make it sit so even. I thought the rear would still sit slightly higher.

I will look into the crown suspension. I appreciate the links! I wonder how stiff those rear springs are in relation to the B/T 4" drop springs.

Does anyone know if the relocation bracket (from the B/T kit) would still keep the panhard parallel with the ground with only a 3" drop instead of a 4" (it was designed to work with a 4" drop, but only a 1 inch difference seems it would not have too big an effect).

M27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ak did you have any driveshaft clearance issues with your drop because I recently dropped mine 2/4 and the driveshafts harmonic balancer sometimes hits the heat shield next to gas tank on certain turns and bumps.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ak did you have any driveshaft clearance issues with your drop because I recently dropped mine 2/4 and the driveshafts harmonic balancer sometimes hits the heat shield next to gas tank on certain turns and bumps.

Yes. I did. Before we had really not adjusted the upper/lower control arms at the time we were experiencing the rubbing issue. Like you, it was rubbing on the heat shield. I figured it was because the arms were not properly set.

It took us a few rounds of adjusting the arms (we struggled to get the pinion angle within an acceptable range: acceptable being close enough where it did not cause a lot of vibration).

Once we got it pretty close we did not have any issues with contact between the driveshaft and the heat shield (and it appeared we had good clearance while the truck was sitting, so we hoped it would still have enough clearance to not make contact as the suspension cycled). If you do not have adjustable arms I don't know how you will be able to keep them from rubbing. You can try and bend the shield some, but depending on how bad it is rubbing you probably would not be able to bend it out of the way enough to prevent rubbing.

Though really if you are rubbing you have a bigger problem: The problem is your rear axle is all out of whack. I know some guys say they run the BT 2/4 with the stock arms and have no issue. I have no experience with that, as I put on my adjustable arms the same time I did the 2/4 drop.

12vrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Man you just changed my whole outlook on the 2/4 drop. Im just thinking about doing the rear with just a 2 inch drop to level the truck. Does that bring the same problems.

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man you just changed my whole outlook on the 2/4 drop. Im just thinking about doing the rear with just a 2 inch drop to level the truck. Does that bring the same problems.

I think it's important to remember every experience will be slightly different.....in some cases the same mod to the same "type" truck will yield different results.....best way I can explain that is sometimes tolerances of the very same thing can add up to different results.

Also, everyone's individual tolerance to modifications is different and most of the time, especially if you haven't modded alot in your life, you don't know what that is until you exceed it.

Lastly, I would offer that while Belltech makes a great kit for a "look", go into this thing with your eyes open knowing exactly that. I don't know of a single lowering kit for our trucks that is engineered for performance......I think alot of the time we automatically associate a lowered truck with better handling not necessarily realizing all the geometry that's affected......"my brain hurts everytime I try!"

I'm with you though, I have the Belltech 2/4 in the garage waiting on the install, fingers crossed the "$hit" works out the way I'm hoping it will! But if it doesn't, hey, I'll have alot of fun figuring the fixes out (as others have already):favorites13:

12vrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes crazy some people have no problems and some have one hell of a time. I just want to do it right the first time being i just bought the truck and it is my dd. But 2/4 seems perfect for me but may just start with rear 2 inch drop we will see. If i can find a reputable shop in the dfw i will let them do it. I was digging reklez suspension in houston comes with alignment and warranty. But then living in dallas and having to go back there if a problem occurs would be a pain.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes crazy some people have no problems and some have one hell of a time. I just want to do it right the first time being i just bought the truck and it is my dd. But 2/4 seems perfect for me but may just start with rear 2 inch drop we will see. If i can find a reputable shop in the dfw i will let them do it. I was digging reklez suspension in houston comes with alignment and warranty. But then living in dallas and having to go back there if a problem occurs would be a pain.

So this is what I will say.... I grew up racing dirt bikes, doing car track days, etc. I have had 3 lowered turbo miata's that I used to track, and a turbo MR2 I tracked and DD'ed. Currently I just do track days on my sport bike. I feel I have a pretty strong sense of what the vehicle is doing and really know how to handle a vehicle.

Mind you, a lot of guys who do track days IMO are scrub drivers.... I have ridden with people and the ass of their vehicle is sliding and they don't even realize it. So yea, someone who is clueless and not in tune with the vehicle may not associate hitting the bumpstops with actually hitting the bumpstops (there are varying degrees of how hard you can hit them... so some impacts are more severe than others. Personally I do not see how you could hit them and not know because it is so freaking brutal).

In terms of what people are willing to tolerate and what not? Well, my MR2 was so low I could barely go over speed bumps. I mean, this thing was stupid.... it was fast, fun and looked awesome (IMO) but I would NEVER DD something like that again. My tolerance for how a DD drives has diminished. When I was younger I was willing to deal with that kind of stuff more so than I do now. Also, my truck has gotten worse by the day. I literally hit the bump stops with most bumps on the road. I am going to take footage sometime to show everyone.

I don't want you to think that I am just being overly critical or had an expectation of my truck to ride as smooth as a caddy or something. Hell no... I have driven a lot of vehicles that most would deem not good/practical for D.D.'s. So if I am telling you this sucks to D.D. you can take that to the bank.

I mean ****, look at the photo I posted the other day of how close the rear bump stops are sitting to the bumpstop plate on the axle. We are talking literally an inch or maybe less. It just is not possible to drive something with such little travel (prior to hitting bumpstops) and expect it to not hit them.

Also, I have the street performance shocks in the rear which are stiffer than stock. So I am sure if I had the stock rear shocks on it would be even worse.

I have already ordered my crown suspension 1/2 springs. I can let you guys know how they perform if you can wait to do your installs. The fact that I am getting new springs is not the worst thing in the world, considering that regardless having the new bumpstops, rear sway bar end links and pan hard bar relocation bracket would most likely be needed anyways. (and I could not get those from crown suspension.)

All that said, the truck does corner very well (the new rear sway definitely is a big contributing factor for that) and the truck looks freaking badass!

Last edited: