Lowering my truck today. Need help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So this is what I will say.... I grew up racing dirt bikes, doing car track days, etc. I have had 3 lowered turbo miata's that I used to track, and a turbo MR2 I tracked and DD'ed. Currently I just do track days on my sport bike. I feel I have a pretty strong sense of what the vehicle is doing and really know how to handle a vehicle.

Mind you, a lot of guys who do track days IMO are scrub drivers.... I have ridden with people and the ass of their vehicle is sliding and they don't even realize it. So yea, someone who is clueless and not in tune with the vehicle may not associate hitting the bumpstops with actually hitting the bumpstops (there are varying degrees of how hard you can hit them... so some impacts are more severe than others. Personally I do not see how you could hit them and not know because it is so freaking brutal).

In terms of what people are willing to tolerate and what not? Well, my MR2 was so low I could barely go over speed bumps. I mean, this thing was stupid.... it was fast, fun and looked awesome (IMO) but I would NEVER DD something like that again. My tolerance for how a DD drives has diminished. When I was younger I was willing to deal with that kind of stuff more so than I do now. Also, my truck has gotten worse by the day. I literally hit the bump stops with most bumps on the road. I am going to take footage sometime to show everyone.

I don't want you to think that I am just being overly critical or had an expectation of my truck to ride as smooth as a caddy or something. Hell no... I have driven a lot of vehicles that most would deem not good/practical for D.D.'s. So if I am telling you this sucks to D.D. you can take that to the bank.

I mean ****, look at the photo I posted the other day of how close the rear bump stops are sitting to the bumpstop plate on the axle. We are talking literally an inch or maybe less. It just is not possible to drive something with such little travel (prior to hitting bumpstops) and expect it to not hit them.

Also, I have the street performance shocks in the rear which are stiffer than stock. So I am sure if I had the stock rear shocks on it would be even worse.

I have already ordered my crown suspension 1/2 springs. I can let you guys know how they perform if you can wait to do your installs. The fact that I am getting new springs is not the worst thing in the world, considering that regardless having the new bumpstops, rear sway bar end links and pan hard bar relocation bracket would most likely be needed anyways. (and I could not get those from crown suspension.)

All that said, the truck does corner very well (the new rear sway definitely is a big contributing factor for that) and the truck looks freaking badass!

I gotta say, I'm sorry you've had such a rough time with what should be a simple install. But I do appreciate you sharing your mods and issues, it's helped my perspective quite a bit. Please continue to post your mods/fixes until you are 100% happy with it!:favorites13:

12vrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
lol true im a very critical ocd kind of guy lol. And same here i race quads so setting up suspension on that was months of trial and error. And also im that honda guy all about being slammed. But again brand new truck hard to take that step to the brutal beating but again looks so good. Well let me know how the other setup goes i will be looking forward to it. And thanks for the input on you whole setup.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
lol true im a very critical ocd kind of guy lol. And same here i race quads so setting up suspension on that was months of trial and error. And also im that honda guy all about being slammed. But again brand new truck hard to take that step to the brutal beating but again looks so good. Well let me know how the other setup goes i will be looking forward to it. And thanks for the input on you whole setup.

Will do. I am curious to see how the truck looks with the 1/2 drop on it. I know it probably will not look as good as the current drop but I would prefer a slightly lower truck that drives better as a D.D. than vice versa.

Hoping to get the springs this week sometime. I probably will not have them installed until the following week sometime.