Magnaflow 14 vs the flowmaster 40

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would say the FM will be much more throaty, bassy and rumble. Maggys are more subtle and clean sounding. Overall I don't think the FM would be much louder.

OP
OP
C

csuthrower04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks Nick. I put a Flowmaster 40 series on my truck a while back. I really like it but maybe just a little too much cab noise for my daily driver. After more thought I am thinking of a Magnaflow 18. Quick question does anybody know the difference between the Magnaflow stainless and magnaflow XL series.

nikeaddict

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500
Engine
V8
The flowmaster has a richer, throaty sound than the Magnaflow exhaust.

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Go with the Magnaflow, and call it a day. I know sound is subjective, but I personally just prefer a straight through design over a baffled exhaust.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Go with flowmaster 50hd .call it a day with a muffler that's been designed for your hemi.and call it a day.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
preference on sound of a muffler is like trying to say what chick is hot and why... its all subjective to the owner, I have a Flowmaster super 10, I love the sound and its loud, but not too loud, no real drone at cruising speed. but to me its still not loud. Loud is a build 298 ford with ****** super comp header with purple ***** glass packs bolted right to the collector.... thats loud.

I'm not a fan of the magnaflow or borla mufflers, they give a tinny import or exotic Lambo or Ferrari sound to me. not my taste. I like the good old V8 muscle car deep throaty sound.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
preference on sound of a muffler is like trying to say what chick is hot and why... its all subjective to the owner, I have a Flowmaster super 10, I love the sound and its loud, but not too loud, no real drone at cruising speed. but to me its still not loud. Loud is a build 298 ford with ****** super comp header with purple ***** glass packs bolted right to the collector.... thats loud.

I'm not a fan of the magnaflow or borla mufflers, they give a tinny import or exotic Lambo or Ferrari sound to me. not my taste. I like the good old V8 muscle car deep throaty sound.

x2

but I love my flowmaster 40.. Really Really do.

My best friens has true duals magnaflows and you can barley hear it unless you're at WOT.

He even said driving next to my exhaust drowns out his. :):):)

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
x2

but I love my flowmaster 40.. Really Really do.

I wonder how much different sound you get from a quad cab vs a standard cab shortbed, and I'm really surprised the super 10 doesn't have more drone in mine.. really its sounds great and perfect for me. just needs full length headers.

I've always ran flowmaster though and as for drone, ya'll gas guys don't know what drone it till you drive a 98.5 CTD Ram with modded turbo and 5" exhaust... thats some drone!!!

Sillygoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yea brah, super loud flowmasta's mang

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I wonder how much different sound you get from a quad cab vs a standard cab shortbed, and I'm really surprised the super 10 doesn't have more drone in mine.. really its sounds great and perfect for me. just needs full length headers.

I've always ran flowmaster though and as for drone, ya'll gas guys don't know what drone it till you drive a 98.5 CTD Ram with modded turbo and 5" exhaust... thats some drone!!!

Well, that would make a difference. That's probably the drone it not that bad because mine being a crew cab.

yea brah, super loud flowmasta's mang

There 10s but I keep them clean homie

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Thanks Nick. I put a Flowmaster 40 series on my truck a while back. I really like it but maybe just a little too much cab noise for my daily driver.

I put a Super 44 (allegedly, their loudest) on my 4.7 Commander. I walk to work, as my office is about 50' away :naughty:, so when I take it out for short hops, it's not so bad.

I literally left Allegheny Co. twice last year - once to Lancaster, and once to Buffalo. The drone around 2000rpm (70-75mph... NATURALLY... :rolleyes:) gets old, but the Boston Acoustic sound system drowns MOST of it out. :crazy: For twice a year, I can live with it the rest of the time, if you wanna hear it.

http://vid212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Scouting/Muffler2.mp4

MidnightShift

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 40's on a truck of mine. They sound good but i think theyre mellow imo. If youre going after a decent muffler with good tone, summit racing makes a single chamber that kicks ass. 3 in, 2.5 dual out. I loooove it. Kind of off topic but its just an idea.

maurice303

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Ramrt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had the borla xs pro, magnaflow 14''and 18''inch regular mufflers and both in the true x pipe set up. I also had the flowmaster 40 and super 44 series muffler which don't flow well enough for the hemies, so I researched a went with a flowmaster 50 series hd which is specially designed for the hemi engines. It's the last muffler I will ever buy for my r/t, it's large casing and internal size allows increased breathing and performance while maintaining the proper amount of back pressure to maintain and in my case increased low end torque. I have no drone inside the cab with removed resonators and 5''inch tips. I love the sound of this muffler, wish I had tried it first before spending the money on the others, but then again it's trial and error when it comes to performance parts, I found the right combination of performance and efficiency, I average from 20 to 23mpg highway in my truck when the dealer sticker says 15 city/ 20 hwy.