Magnaflow vs Flowmaster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimdeforge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flex Fuel
I would like to give my truck a more aggressive sound, it is a 2011 1500 SLT 4.7l. I am debating on which muffler is better, Magnaflow or Flowmaster and then which model would sound best? Does anyone have a suggestion? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

JiB-z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have a 5.7L with a Magnaflow 3' in two 2.5' out muffler and it gives it a deep low rumble which gets louder through the rpm range. I also cut the factory exhaust right after the junction of the cat's to allow as much flow (and noise) as possible. On the other hand, my buddy put a Flowmaster on his F250 and it sounds like a coffee can with a tailpipe coming out of it. I recommend the Magnaflow if you want a good low bark for your truck. Also since it is a 4.7L I would be tempted to leave it a single 3' to maintain a little back pressure since my 5.7L has very little with the dual setup (This completely messed up how my truck shifted and performed overall until I installed a Superchips tune).

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jimdeforge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flex Fuel
I have a 5.7L with a Magnaflow 3' in two 2.5' out muffler and it gives it a deep low rumble which gets louder through the rpm range. I also cut the factory exhaust right after the junction of the cat's to allow as much flow (and noise) as possible. On the other hand, my buddy put a Flowmaster on his F250 and it sounds like a coffee can with a tailpipe coming out of it. I recommend the Magnaflow if you want a good low bark for your truck. Also since it is a 4.7L I would be tempted to leave it a single 3' to maintain a little back pressure since my 5.7L has very little with the dual setup (This completely messed up how my truck shifted and performed overall until I installed a Superchips tune).

Thanks, what I plan on doing to the truck is put a K&N 63 Series CAI in it then replace the stock muffler with a flowmaster or magnaflow muffler to give it a better sound and hopefully gain a little mpg's as well. I wanted to keep my cost as low as possible, getting the biggest bang for my buck!!!

JiB-z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks, what I plan on doing to the truck is put a K&N 63 Series CAI in it then replace the stock muffler with a flowmaster or magnaflow muffler to give it a better sound and hopefully gain a little mpg's as well. I wanted to keep my cost as low as possible, getting the biggest bang for my buck!!!

I actually did the same but if your looking to save a little cash check out greenfiltersusa.com - greenfiltersusa Resources and Information.. I ended up getting a cold air intake for my Hemi about $150 less than a K&N and the tests show they make more horsepower. The mpg gain isn't greatly impressive, I only saw about 1.5 mpg increase with the intake but every little bit counts.:waytogo:

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jimdeforge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flex Fuel
OP
OP
J

jimdeforge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flex Fuel
now just to decide on which muffler

OP
OP
J

jimdeforge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flex Fuel
I do care about price and warranty, from what I found online Magnaflow has the better warranty and price.

JiB-z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

JiB-z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I do care about price and warranty, from what I found online Magnaflow has the better warranty and price.

I've been partial to Magnaflow ever since we put one on my dads 360 about 10 years ago. The only problem with magnaflow is there isn't much inside the muffler itself so it can get pretty loud, but everyone around here has seemed to switch also since they heard the sound. I've noticed almost every Hemi around this area has Magnaflow duals under them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jimdeforge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flex Fuel
I've been partial to Magnaflow ever since we put one on my dads 360 about 10 years ago. The only problem with magnaflow is there isn't much inside the muffler itself so it can get pretty loud, but everyone around here has seemed to switch also since they heard the sound. I've noticed almost every Hemi around this area has Magnaflow duals under them.

I don't care about sound, I take that back, I want it to be aggressive. I am a firm believer in loud pipes saves lives. That is how I roll on my motorcycle!

JiB-z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I don't care about sound, I take that back, I want it to be aggressive. I am a firm believer in loud pipes saves lives. That is how I roll on my motorcycle!

Loud pipes do indeed save lives, the reason I like magnaflow is because the only diffence between their stuff and Cherry Bomb is a layer of packing and a drilled sheet of metal. The flowmaster may be loud but it doesn't have a smooth sound where the Magnaflows have both.

JiB-z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Here's some youtube videos for you to look at, this guy put dumps on his after the muffler but it still gives a good idea of the sound you would get.

Dodgte Ram 4.7 Magnaflow 12256

Dodge Ram 4.7 Magnaflow #12256

OP
OP
J

jimdeforge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flex Fuel
Here's some youtube videos for you to look at, this guy put dumps on his after the muffler but it still gives a good idea of the sound you would get.

Dodgte Ram 4.7 Magnaflow 12256

Dodge Ram 4.7 Magnaflow #12256

not bad, I really need to hear one in person before buying

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I personally like the sound of FM most of the time. However they do tend to drone at certain RPMs. But I would not buy another FM since I have had them rust out on me too many times. FM does make stainless steel versions now, may be worth a try.

Another to consider is Borla. I had an XR1 and loved it.

RamFan2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had an 18" magna flow on my 03 4.7L ram and loved it(the black on over there <-). I had the single out and cut it at the spare tire. It was pretty loud, but like some other guys have said, its a low growl that I like. The flow masters sound too hallow and "tingy" for my taste. I put the 14" on my 2011 hemi cause the its so quiet inside, i wanted to still hear it, and its awesome.

I wish i had some sound clips from my old one for ya, but i'd go for the magna flow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nick_Mac