Makes no sense

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToddS1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I drained and flushed out the coolant, went with the Mopar purple goodness as I’ll call it, but here’s what has me stumped. I had a quart of concentrate leftover when finished and some distilled water leftover so I mixed a quart of the water to the quart of concentrate to make a half gallon of 50-50…right? Nope…it tested at -20 which is about 43% antifreeze. So is my gauge off or is a quart of water and a quart of concentrate not 50-50??? Maybe not all concentrate gallons are created equal? Like I got a weak concentrate mixture?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Are you using a refractometer to test the coolant?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So I drained and flushed out the coolant, went with the Mopar purple goodness as I’ll call it, but here’s what has me stumped. I had a quart of concentrate leftover when finished and some distilled water leftover so I mixed a quart of the water to the quart of concentrate to make a half gallon of 50-50…right? Nope…it tested at -20 which is about 43% antifreeze. So is my gauge off or is a quart of water and a quart of concentrate not 50-50??? Maybe not all concentrate gallons are created equal? Like I got a weak concentrate mixture?
You may be assuming the testing device is accurate, use a refractometer as Crash suggested. Even in this crazy world of "new" math, a quart is still a quart. Right?

OP
OP
T

ToddS1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, not using a refractometer. Just a standard old school bulb tester. I was being extremely cautious with measurements. I had absolute spot on 1 qt. of concentrate so I poured that into a clean jug, then poured distilled water to the same 1 qt. line on the concentrate jug and poured that into the jug with the concentrate…I couldn’t have been any more precise. Tested at -20 and should be -34. I’m in Tennessee so I’m good, but it’s just weird.

zrock

Reaction score
unless you used a actual measuring cup then the lines on the jugs are not accurate they are just a rough sight line

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
No, not using a refractometer. Just a standard old school bulb tester.
The bulb type are ballpark accuracy at best, a little bit off Googling reveals that a refractometer that calibrated for OAT coolants is needed for accurate results.
Your mixture is probably fine for your location.

OP
OP
T

ToddS1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
unless you used a actual measuring cup then the lines on the jugs are not accurate they are just a rough sight line
But I was using the same line for the concentrate and the distilled water. Concentrate was at the 1 qt. line. Poured that into a clean jug. Poured distilled water into the now empty concentrate jug to the 1 qt. line. Poured the distilled into the clean jug I had put the concentrate in. I mean I suppose I could have been maybe like an 1/8 of an ounce off with the water, but that wouldn’t have made any difference.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
No, not using a refractometer. Just a standard old school bulb tester. I was being extremely cautious with measurements. I had absolute spot on 1 qt. of concentrate so I poured that into a clean jug, then poured distilled water to the same 1 qt. line on the concentrate jug and poured that into the jug with the concentrate…I couldn’t have been any more precise. Tested at -20 and should be -34. I’m in Tennessee so I’m good, but it’s just weird.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
High quality refractometers don't come cheap.
You can buy cheap versions off Amazon,that are probably adequate for a home mechanic

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just received two gallons of purple concentrate 10-year coolant from Rockauto (although Rockauto clearly has it listed as orange) and two gallons of distilled water from Walmart. I got two equal containers and measured. Split half the water in the two containers and then did the same with the coolant. I measured them against each other and all was equal. I mixed and checked my work with a refractometer and they were below -30 degree F. You may not have been as precise as you thought.

Last edited:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I've just done my 2017 HEMI'S coolest flush @ currently 50,000 miles. I used ~3 1/2 Gallons MOPAR organic acid technology 50/50 only ... no distilled water ... drained the radiator, getting about a gallon and a half out each time (three times) driving in between the draining and refill of new coolant ... topped off at full and calling it good to go. I reside in Louisiana, and it ain't gonna get artic temps ... if my HEMI implodes, it'll be from the cam and lifters failing ...

This may not be the preferred method by most, jm2¢

OP
OP
T

ToddS1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just received two gallons of purple concentrate 10-year coolant from Rockauto (although Rockauto clearly has it listed as orange) and two gallons of distilled water from Walmart. I got two equal containers and measured split half the water in the two containers and then did the same with the coolant. I measured them against each other and all was equal. I mixed and checked my work with a refractometer and they were below -30 degree F. You may not have been as precise as you thought.
Don’t know how I could have been any more precise…absolute spot on the one quart line for both the concentrate and distilled water. ‍♂️

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don’t know how I could have been any more precise…absolute spot on the one quart line for both the concentrate and distilled water. ‍♂️
Then the problem with your measurement process is somewhere else.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 100166 miles.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I say if you don't feel comfortable with it .....drain a little out and add more coolant.....who cares about a fracto thingy o_Oo_Oo_O

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I say if you don't feel comfortable with it .....drain a little out and add more coolant.....who cares about a fracto thingy o_Oo_Oo_O
People who live in the northern States or Canada might,not everybody lives where it's above 20F year round.Some of us live where it can get down to -40 or colder,and we do care about the strength of the anti-freeze ;)
It's alot cheaper to buy the proper antifreeze testor then it is to replace an engine,because the antifreeze froze solid and broke the engine block,or at the very least pushed the frost plugs out,they suck to replace flat on your back in a snowbank at -40 :cheers: