Malfunctioning Instrument Cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
after watching your video...yes. LOL!
Maybe check to see if the connector to the dash display is loose? or a plug on the BCM?

OP
OP
H

hunterco

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The weird thing, well all of it is weird. It doesn’t do it all the time. If I have cruise control on it will cancel and disable. I was driving from Minneaplois to Chicago after I stopped for gas it was fine the rest of the trip.

OP
OP
H

hunterco

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
after watching your video...yes. LOL!
Maybe check to see if the connector to the dash display is loose? or a plug on the BCM?
Would those connectors be behind the radio by chance?

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Definitely have not seen anything like that. I agree it seems like something is loose. Have you had any repair, services, etc performed recently? Anyone been in the dash?

Jbp19classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It looks like it is saying “service electronic braking system”, the brake warning light is flashing up top, and the speedometer is dropping to zero at the same time. My guess is nothing is wrong with the dash display, but that there is something causing an intermittent fault code with the braking system. Perhaps a speed sensor since the warning comes on when the speedometer drops off. Might be good to take it to a dealer to see if there are any stored trouble codes for the abs/braking system.

OP
OP
H

hunterco

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes. I installed a Kenwood radio with car play because I was having some problems with the factory radio. That has been about 3 months ago with no problems until yesterday. I am assuming the plugs and wires for the instrument cluster are behind the the instrument cluster and go down from there not behind the radio but I don’t know. The service messages are odd and if the display stays off long enough, I get the brake message, service trailer brake and something else that I can’t make out completely. If I goto stored messages in the middle display there are no stored messages.

Jbp19classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes. I installed a Kenwood radio with car play because I was having some problems with the factory radio. That has been about 3 months ago with no problems until yesterday. I am assuming the plugs and wires for the instrument cluster are behind the the instrument cluster and go down from there not behind the radio but I don’t know. The service messages are odd and if the display stays off long enough, I get the brake message, service trailer brake and something else that I can’t make out completely. If I goto stored messages in the middle display there are no stored messages.

Do you have a factory trailer brake controller? If so, since the brake controller lives on the dash under the stereo, it’s possible the connection to that got disturbed during the stereo installation. Since all of the error lights and messages are brake related it would make sense if a loose connection at the trailer brake controller could cause that problem. It’s definitely worth checking.

OP
OP
H

hunterco

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a factory trailer brake controller? If so, since the brake controller lives on the dash under the stereo, it’s possible the connection to that got disturbed during the stereo installation. Since all of the error lights and messages are brake related it would make sense if a loose connection at the trailer brake controller could cause that problem. It’s definitely worth checking.

Yes it is the factory trailer brake. I’ll check the switch connection that’s a possibility. I don’t know if that would affect the speedometer though.

Jbp19classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes it is the factory trailer brake. I’ll check the switch connection that’s a possibility. I don’t know if that would affect the speedometer though.
Me neither, just trying to think of easy stuff. The trailer brake system is intertwined with the rest of the braking and stability control system so there’s a good chance an open circuit at the controller could effect the whole system including speedometer signals. I could be way off base of course, but it’s definitely plausible. Hope you get it figured out.

OP
OP
H

hunterco

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Me neither, just trying to think of easy stuff. The trailer brake system is intertwined with the rest of the braking and stability control system so there’s a good chance an open circuit at the controller could effect the whole system including speedometer signals. I could be way off base of course, but it’s definitely plausible. Hope you get it figured out.

Thanks for your help. I’ll open it back up