Manifold leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't actually have a problem, just something I would like to discuss.

I frequently see on this site that if your engine tick is constant its a lifter but if it is only there for a cold start and then goes away when warm then that would be the manifold, as though things would seal back up when they warmed up. When I had a bolt break, it ticked all the time from day one no matter how warm it got. And you might say that I let it get worse and that's why it quit sealing, like I said it was like that from day one and me being lazy for a month only made it get louder, but as far as when it would do it, it never changed.

Side note, when I did the repair I didn't know the manifold warping was a thing so I never got it machined, just cleaned it up for a couple minutes with the sander to get the gasket residue off. Who knows what will happen down the line but after 6ish months, so far so good.

Just something I thought I would throw out, based on my experience.

Last edited:

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Things may fail differently for different people so it's good to hear from some where it didn't go away warm although I think that is fairly uncommon. For both failures I had(passenger at 58K, driver 70K) it would quiet down noticeably when warm. As it got worse, it eventually got to the point I could hear it a bit when warm but it still was noticeably worse when cold. But initially it WAS only when cold. Actually the driver's side was odd at first... it was quiet when first started, you could hear a tick when it idled down then it got quiet again. Later it was pretty loud when started and only quieted some when warmed up.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
These exhaust manifolds warp like hell, and they can warp so much that they don't seal up completely when warm. Not common, but it does happen.

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It looks like we may have the manifold issue as well. Heard the tick and then started to smell exhaust inside the truck when idling. Called the dealership and they said, never heard of it. So we took it to the dealership and had them listen and smell the exhaust. That service writer said it was a known problem and made an appointment for next month. Told him we are taking the truck on a trip but not pulling anything. May be a thousand miles and he said no problem. Is he right?

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same boat, truck is currently at the shop for inspection. I asked them to check manifold since I just had back surgery and can't really get in there to check and certainly not fix. I did take my manifolds off and install headers on my old 2005 hemi Ram years ago. So they confirmed I have a broken stud as I suspected, but passed that since it passed emissions and wasn't too bad. Hot me for brakes though which sucks since I did my father in laws before surgery at end of September and thought mine would pass. :mad: Also have cracked sway bar link (at least I think that's what they said, but they passed that too. Waiting on estimate for them to do that while their doing the brakes. I will do my manifold over winter since my son in law is a diesel mechanic for his Dad's paving business and we can use his shop and tools. Also changing out my front struts to 2 inch lift to get rid of my leveling kit.

OP
OP
rzr6-4

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It looks like we may have the manifold issue as well. Heard the tick and then started to smell exhaust inside the truck when idling. Called the dealership and they said, never heard of it. So we took it to the dealership and had them listen and smell the exhaust. That service writer said it was a known problem and made an appointment for next month. Told him we are taking the truck on a trip but not pulling anything. May be a thousand miles and he said no problem. Is he right?

It will be fine, just annoying. I drove around with the world's largest type writer under my hood for about a month before I finally had time to fix it.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It will be fine, just annoying. I drove around with the world's largest type writer under my hood for about a month before I finally had time to fix it.
I had both ticks on my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi, lifter and exhaust. My 2017 has an exhaust tick. Can't believe they've had this issue for so long and never corrected it. The BD exhaust manifold kit is designed the way the factory kit should have been designed. After Christmas I will be purchasing that kit and installing.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can't believe they've had this issue for so long and never corrected it.
That statement applies to a LOT of Ram/Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler items. Fuel filling issues, fuel tank rollover valves, emissions/EVAP items, oil filter housing (on their 5th or 6th "redesign"??)

OP
OP
rzr6-4

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That statement applies to a LOT of Ram/Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler items. Fuel filling issues, fuel tank rollover valves, emissions/EVAP items, oil filter housing (on their 5th or 6th "redesign"??)

My wife's Impala and the Malibu she got rid of both had/have fuel filling issues caused by faulty emissions equipment. Not that RAM is totally off the hook, but I think a lot of it is the government mandated garbage that's susceptible to issues more so than an issue from any one company.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife's Impala and the Malibu she got rid of both had/have fuel filling issues caused by faulty emissions equipment. Not that RAM is totally off the hook, but I think a lot of it is the government mandated garbage that's susceptible to issues more so than an issue from any one company.
Agree. I'd like to know what the carbon offset is that they think is relevant. How much fuel vapor is being reclaimed compared to how much EVAP crap ends up in landfills every year.

But back to RAM, they've had fueling issues and EVAP issues for numerous consecutive years and still failed to fix it. They failed miserably at the oil filter/cooler housings as well. I feel I can speak on that having worked at a company that had 70+ Pentastar engines in their fleet. It was a very COMMON fail. Go to the local Mopar shop, get a new one. Seems like once a month those were being replaced.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't actually have a problem, just something I would like to discuss.

I frequently see on this site that if your engine tick is constant its a lifter but if it is only there for a cold start and then goes away when warm then that would be the manifold, as though things would seal back up when they warmed up. When I had a bolt break, it ticked all the time from day one no matter how warm it got. And you might say that I let it get worse and that's why it quit sealing, like I said it was like that from day one and me being lazy for a month only made it get louder, but as far as when it would do it, it never changed.

Side note, when I did the repair I didn't know the manifold warping was a thing so I never got it machined, just cleaned it up for a couple minutes with the sander to get the gasket residue off. Who knows what will happen down the line but after 6ish months, so far so good.

Just something I thought I would throw out, based on my experience.
Cadillac HT 4100 engines had this type of exhaust tick/ leak. The fix from my own doings was to have the manifolds surface ground fine finish similar to a cylinder head. Then, I'd paint the ground surface and install the manifolds onto the cylinder heads sans gaskets. I'd let the paint cure a day or 2. This repair was 100% effective and none ever leaked again. I wonder how that would work on a RAM... moreover, I wonder if one could find a machine shop to grind manifolds.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
I noticed (just looked again) that ARP has no listing for exhaust manifold bolt kits for the 5.7 ? You would think if it is a big problem that they would? Does this occur in just trucks?

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Took the truck into the dealer Monday night so they could start it and hear it cold in the morning. Sure enough warped manifold. They said it will take a month and a half to get the new part. I asked them why they don't have it in stock being a known problem. They said something about covid. They told me the new part will be reinforced so problem will not come back.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It is better to have the bolts break ,rather then pull the threads out of the head.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Took the truck into the dealer Monday night so they could start it and hear it cold in the morning. Sure enough warped manifold. They said it will take a month and a half to get the new part. I asked them why they don't have it in stock being a known problem. They said something about covid. They told me the new part will be reinforced so problem will not come back.
A little time on a belt sander, or a milling machine, and the previously warped manifolds can be reinstalled. You will not have another issue.

It's too bad that dealerships won't go this route for the repair. So many of us Ram owners have had this issue.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These exhaust manifolds warp like hell, and they can warp so much that they don't seal up completely when warm. Not common, but it does happen.
Mine stops the tick as it warms at idle, but if I have the window down and get on it I can hear it no matter how warm. I just got inspected and had the shop check it and they confirmed the broken bolt (at least 1). Been like that for a little while just haven't had the time, or energy to fix it yet. Had back surgery in September and go back to work in about 2 weeks. I plan on tackling mine over the winter along with lifted strut install and new front sway bar (mine is cracked, but passed inspection).