Maximum Tongue Weight??? 2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel -- Please Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluegrass Picker

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet...
Engine
None yet
Hi,

New member on the forum here with a question...

We are looking to buy a 2015 Ram 1500 with the Ecodiesel and the airbag option.

We cannot find any specification that lists the maximum trailer tongue weight of this vehicle anywhere.

Our travel trailer is a Jayco 22FB which when loaded weighs 4800 lbs and has a loaded tongue weight of 780 lbs and we have a WD hitch.

We had considered the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Ecodiesel, but the TW max is 750 lbs for that rig...

Could someone please point me in the direction of where I can find the proper specs or perhaps someone knows the specs...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Bluegrass Picker

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's a class IV receiver. Typically 1050 to 1100 lbs is the max tongue weight for the receiver *with a weight distribution hitch* and normally 500lbs without.

This does not take into account RGAWR or GVWR. Just the max the receiver is allowed.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Your max tongue weight would be your payload minus your gear and occupants. So if you had 1250 lbs of payload you would have 720 lbs remaining for passengers and gear after hooking up to your camper.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
air bags help a lot. legally they will not increase your limit but they are still taking weight off the coils and i'd bet it's enough that if you actually had it tested you could have your payload increased but the cost of doing that makes it pointless

OP
OP
B

Bluegrass Picker

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet...
Engine
None yet
It's a class IV receiver. Typically 1050 to 1100 lbs is the max tongue weight for the receiver *with a weight distribution hitch* and normally 500lbs without.

This does not take into account RGAWR or GVWR. Just the max the receiver is allowed.

Your max tongue weight would be your payload minus your gear and occupants. So if you had 1250 lbs of payload you would have 720 lbs remaining for passengers and gear after hooking up to your camper.
Thanks to everyone for your replies and help.

I think I might be getting confused however.

Our trailer is 4800 lbs fully loaded down the road and has a loaded tongue weight of 780 lbs and we have a WD hitch.

Do I understand correctly this scenario (using RAM's specs):

Max Loaded Trailer Weight of the RAM 3.0 ED 4x4 Crew is 7650 Pounds

Tongue weight of Trailer= 780 Pounds

GVWR of the Vehicle: 6950

Curb Weight: 5600

Payload max: 1320

Subtract two occupants weight (230 for me, 120 for DW total of 500lb) from payload: 1320-500 = 820 lbs payload remaining (BEFORE hitching the trailer to the truck).

Now, after hitching the trailer to the truck, must I subtract the trailer tongue weight from the remaining payload weight also? That would leave only 40 lbs for any gear, etc. in the back of the truck.... !!! (820-780=40)

The trailer is only 22ft. How do people tow the 30ft trailers that I see in the MPG and towing report threads, and what do they do about extra gear in the back, etc. Those 30ft trailers have to have a tongue weight heavier than mine, or so it would seem to me.

Please set me straight if I am wrong on the numbers or scenario that I have described above, as I might be in left field due to my confusion on the issue.

Thanks very much in advance.

Bluegrass Picker

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Your numbers are accurate. Scale it to be sure. Welcome to towing with a half ton. My 26' 5500lbs trailer puts me WAY over payload. People towing the 30' trailers are usually doing so either A: way overloaded or B: with a stripped out base model truck with a light curb weight better suited for towing applications.

OP
OP
B

Bluegrass Picker

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet...
Engine
None yet
Your numbers are accurate. Scale it to be sure. Welcome to towing with a half ton. My 26' 5500lbs trailer puts me WAY over payload. People towing the 30' trailers are usually doing so either A: way overloaded or B: with a stripped out base model truck with a light curb weight better suited for towing applications.

Thanks for your quick reply!

Wouldn't the extra weight that exceeds the payload capacity have a potential to overload and overheat the axle bearings? That is my primary concern...

My weight numbers on the trailer come from weighing on the truck scales at the weigh stations on the highway, and I have a Sureline tongue weight scale that I used for the tongue weight and it has been consistent at about 780 lbs. Do you happen to know what your tongue weight is on your 26' trailer?

It looks like I'm good to go for the pulling weight, it's just the tongue weight/payload that's going to be the issue..... Maybe the best thing is to move as much as possible to the rear of the trailer to lighten the TW (keeping the 10 to 15% weight forward).... But still, that won't recover much of an extra payload capacity....

Thanks again.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It depends on where the weight is. Your rear axle has a GAWR of 3900 lbs as does your front. So as long as you dont exceed 3900lbs on either axle then you should be worried about them failing (bearings etc).
Your payload and GVWR of your truck are usually lower than combined axle. In your case 950lbs less. This number is derived mainly by testing the handling and stopping characteristics of the truck while under that particular load to make sure that the vehicle meets a set criteria. In short, unless you are plunking all the weight directly over the axle, I wouldn't worry about it. Best way to tell is to weigh the axle loaded.

The tongue weight for my TT varies from 680-800 lbs depending on the load. My advice though, I would watch how much you try to lighten the tongue. Depending on the trailers design, even the "ideal" 11 or 12% can give you worse headaches than a heavy tongue.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
if youre getting airbags...you will be fine as long as youre only hauling about 700lbs of additional stuff including your family! anything more you may want a 2500 w/ hemi...youre already close to if not at max weight but i believe in overkill..can never have too much truck :cool:

that guy up above me has the right idea ^^^^
Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Do you have tanks in the front of the trailer? 780 lbs hitch weight seems awfully heavy for a 4800lb trailer. Not calling you a lier just trying to figure it out. I was looking into renting a travel trailer for a weekend and I was looking at a 26ft it was 4080 dry and tounge weight of 410. I know filling up the water tanks, food, gear, luggage all that you take adds a good chunk of weight but I would figure the water tanks would be back at the axles.

Last edited:

SWJewellTN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
According to the Jayco website, the 2014 22FB has a dry hitch weight of 510 lbs and a dry weight of 4,125 lbs. It's GVWR is 6,500 lbs with 2,375 lbs of cargo capacity. This should be fairly consistent with early models too.

2014 Jay Flight 22FB | Jayco, Inc.

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
Yes your numbers are right. And you also have to subtract any bolt on's such as a bed cover or step bars. That's why I went to a 2500 because the 30 TT was way over my payload numbers.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Yes your numbers are right. And you also have to subtract any bolt on's such as a bed cover or step bars. That's why I went to a 2500 because the 30 TT was way over my payload numbers.

Yes I agree his math is right and he's doing right by planing ahead. I just think 780lbs is a little heavy hitch weight for a 22ft TT,

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks to everyone for your replies and help.

I think I might be getting confused however.

Our trailer is 4800 lbs fully loaded down the road and has a loaded tongue weight of 780 lbs and we have a WD hitch.

Do I understand correctly this scenario (using RAM's specs):

Max Loaded Trailer Weight of the RAM 3.0 ED 4x4 Crew is 7650 Pounds

Tongue weight of Trailer= 780 Pounds

GVWR of the Vehicle: 6950

Curb Weight: 5600

Payload max: 1320

Subtract two occupants weight (230 for me, 120 for DW total of 500lb) from payload: 1320-500 = 820 lbs payload remaining (BEFORE hitching the trailer to the truck).

Now, after hitching the trailer to the truck, must I subtract the trailer tongue weight from the remaining payload weight also? That would leave only 40 lbs for any gear, etc. in the back of the truck.... !!! (820-780=40)

The trailer is only 22ft. How do people tow the 30ft trailers that I see in the MPG and towing report threads, and what do they do about extra gear in the back, etc. Those 30ft trailers have to have a tongue weight heavier than mine, or so it would seem to me.

Please set me straight if I am wrong on the numbers or scenario that I have described above, as I might be in left field due to my confusion on the issue.

Thanks very much in advance.

Bluegrass Picker

A 150 pound driver is included in the factory payload numbers. So you can add 150 pounds to your payload remaining after hooking up your trailer. So your 40 lbs becomes 190 lbs. Still not much but a little more margin for safety.