Maximum Tongue Weight??? 2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel -- Please Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
A 150 pound driver is included in the factory payload numbers. So you can add 150 pounds to your payload remaining after hooking up your trailer. So your 40 lbs becomes 190 lbs. Still not much but a little more margin for safety.
I belive that is only included for GCVWR (truck and trailer) not GVWR (payload). Not that it matters much. 150lbs is a drop in the bucket.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes I agree his math is right and he's doing right by planing ahead. I just think 780lbs is a little heavy hitch weight for a 22ft TT,

Agreed....my 36 yr old camper weighs 6000 lbs, and has a tongue weight of 720..........no problems with my truck.

So for a 4800 lb camper to be even more tongue weight....just don't sound right.....Ideal weight for that tongue should be 480-576 lbs.......

OP
OP
B

Bluegrass Picker

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet...
Engine
None yet
Do you have tanks in the front of the trailer? 780 lbs hitch weight seems awfully heavy for a 4800lb trailer. Not calling you a lier just trying to figure it out. I was looking into renting a travel trailer for a weekend and I was looking at a 26ft it was 4080 dry and tounge weight of 410. I know filling up the water tanks, food, gear, luggage all that you take adds a good chunk of weight but I would figure the water tanks would be back at the axles.
Thanks for your reply to this thread.

I have a Sherline Tongue Weight Scale that I have been using to weigh the tongue with the trailer level and on a level surface. Readings have been consistent.

There are two propane tanks on the tongue, and I could probably just use one, and two batteries. Again, could probably just use one battery. The fresh water tank is directly over the axles, and maybe just a little to the rear. Grey and black tanks are at the rear.

I'm going to try to pull out some of the stuff from the front storage compartments and see what I can do to lessen some weight there, and move some internal stuff to the rear....

OP
OP
B

Bluegrass Picker

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet...
Engine
None yet
According to the Jayco website, the 2014 22FB has a dry hitch weight of 510 lbs and a dry weight of 4,125 lbs. It's GVWR is 6,500 lbs with 2,375 lbs of cargo capacity. This should be fairly consistent with early models too.

2014 Jay Flight 22FB | Jayco, Inc.
Thanks for your reply.

I've looked at the dry TW of my year (2009) some time ago and I think it said similar numbers (can't remember exactly). I've been trying to figure out where the extra 270 lbs or so is coming from. My weight measurement has been taken with water tanks empty, full propane (2 tanks) and 2 batteries, and misc stuff (but not too much stuff - maybe) in storage and cabinets inside. WD hitch and bars are included in the weight. I'm going to pull all of that stuff on the inside out and re-weigh the tongue....

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Can't argue with the scale... I try all the time but it just laughs at me. Anyways moveony some stuff to the back of the camper will help a lot if you could get that tongue weight down to 600 or less it will make a big difference. As stated before they include a 150lb driver. Between the 2 that would open up 2-300lbs on payload.

OP
OP
B

Bluegrass Picker

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet...
Engine
None yet
Can't argue with the scale... I try all the time but it just laughs at me. Anyways moveony some stuff to the back of the camper will help a lot if you could get that tongue weight down to 600 or less it will make a big difference. As stated before they include a 150lb driver. Between the 2 that would open up 2-300lbs on payload.
LOL How many drivers weigh 150 lbs? I'm 230.... Fortunately the DW is less than 150...

I've thought about welding up a rack on the back of the TT to hold 2 Honda generators and some of the misc gear that's in the front storage compartments. That would add some weight to the rear that I would think would counter some of the weight on the front. (The two Hondas are currently in the back of my Ford truck, and are not part of the existing trailer weight).

SWJewellTN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Thanks for your reply.

I've looked at the dry TW of my year (2009) some time ago and I think it said similar numbers (can't remember exactly). I've been trying to figure out where the extra 270 lbs or so is coming from. My weight measurement has been taken with water tanks empty, full propane (2 tanks) and 2 batteries, and misc stuff (but not too much stuff - maybe) in storage and cabinets inside. WD hitch and bars are included in the weight. I'm going to pull all of that stuff on the inside out and re-weigh the tongue....

Please let me give you my opinion for what it's worth. I had a 2013 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman and a Forest River V-lite that is listed as 882 lbs for dry TW, 7,038 lbs of dry weight, and 1,512 lbs of cargo capacity. I always towed dry and didn't carry too much weight in cargo. I will say that the design of the trailer looks like it would make sense to cut through the air, but in reality it just adds a larger windsail on the front end that pushes the pivot point to a much larger extent than a conventional trailer with a rounded nose. The trailer can be viewed here so that you can see the design: V-Lite Travel Trailer by Forest River

The truck seemed VERY unstable towing the trailer. While I was traveling down I-40 on the Cumberland Plateau a gust of wind hit me suddenly that made the truck jack-knife enough that I thought we were dead! Other times I spent hours with my hand hovering over the trailer brake trying to maintain control in windy conditions. Going up a slight grade, (10%ish?), I had the truck floored and was only doing 45 MPH. I determined that just because your truck can tow something doesn't mean that you should tow it.

Last June I traded the 1500 in for a 2014 2500 with diesel. This week I am going camping for the first time since getting the new truck, and I'm anticipating a vast difference.

Moparman1303

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L + 8spd
So that's why lower class trucks can pull more. My Outdoorsman does well. But some of those loaded sport, long horn don't got much left to pull in quad cab.

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
Please let me give you my opinion for what it's worth. I had a 2013 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman and a Forest River V-lite that is listed as 882 lbs for dry TW, 7,038 lbs of dry weight, and 1,512 lbs of cargo capacity. I always towed dry and didn't carry too much weight in cargo. I will say that the design of the trailer looks like it would make sense to cut through the air, but in reality it just adds a larger windsail on the front end that pushes the pivot point to a much larger extent than a conventional trailer with a rounded nose. The trailer can be viewed here so that you can see the design: V-Lite Travel Trailer by Forest River

The truck seemed VERY unstable towing the trailer. While I was traveling down I-40 on the Cumberland Plateau a gust of wind hit me suddenly that made the truck jack-knife enough that I thought we were dead! Other times I spent hours with my hand hovering over the trailer brake trying to maintain control in windy conditions. Going up a slight grade, (10%ish?), I had the truck floored and was only doing 45 MPH. I determined that just because your truck can tow something doesn't mean that you should tow it.

Last June I traded the 1500 in for a 2014 2500 with diesel. This week I am going camping for the first time since getting the new truck, and I'm anticipating a vast difference.
You will love the tow experience. We have a similar trailer as far as weight's go and I went from a Chevy 1500 to this 2500 gasser and it's a night and day difference. Just the stability alone was with it.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
i had a 2010 1500 qc st package with no add ons and with a 5000 enclosed cargo trailer (with about 700lbs of tounge because i put just too much up at the head), me my brother and mom and some luggage..it did ok with flat land and struggled mightily up all hills..drove it from florida to buffalo and never had a problem with sway or breaking but overall the 4.7/545rfe combo was not up to the task..

for everday towing equipment a 1/2 ton will do fine but if youre going on long trips with the truck be safe not sorry!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

SWJewellTN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
You will love the tow experience. We have a similar trailer as far as weight's go and I went from a Chevy 1500 to this 2500 gasser and it's a night and day difference. Just the stability alone was with it.

I sure hope so. I took it in the butt to trade the truck after only a year.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

That surprises me to say the least.
You're a bit heavier than I am but there seems to be a huge difference in our experiences.
Keep in mind length is an important factor as well when it comes to safety.

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman.
5.7L Hemi, crew cab, 4×4 with the 5'-7" bed and 8spd transmission.

My trailer is 27'-6" (Keystone Hideout) and about 5000 lbs dry weight, 590 lbs tongue weight. and I generally run with 3/4 full tanks and plenty of gear.
I'm about 6000+ lbs on the trailer and about another 400 lbs of cargo in the truck, plus 2 adults and a big dog going down the highway.

I live near the Rockies so the roads I travel are far from flat.

I have no problems at all. Only the really steep mountain roads slow me down and even then it's very rare I dip below about 90km/hr (55mpg). And that's usually because I don't want to floor it and abuse my truck.
I feel the wind as with any trailer but not to any severe degree and I've never once felt unsafe either on the highway or in town.
I do use a distribution hitch but don't have any sway control.

This thing is awesome to tow with!

If you're going a whole lot heavier I'd say a 2500 is a no brainer but I'm continually amazed at the capabilities of my 1500 and wouldn't want to have the 3/4 ton as my daily driver.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
A half ton is plenty for OP. A 22ft with a towing weight of 5000. He would have plenty of truck to pull it. The only concern is with a 780 lb tongue weight wether of not he will be over payload capacity if he can pull some weight out of the front of his camper and move it to the back he will be good to go.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
i only say consider the upgrade because he plans on doing it somewhat frequently..it would just be safer to have a truck nowhere near its limits vs maxed out and not sitting level..if he was only gonna tow it a few times a year itd be no big thing at all but a few times a month is different..1/2 tons cant take anywhere near the beating a 3/4 ton will

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
i only say consider the upgrade because he plans on doing it somewhat frequently..it would just be safer to have a truck nowhere near its limits vs maxed out and not sitting level..if he was only gonna tow it a few times a year itd be no big thing at all but a few times a month is different..1/2 tons cant take anywhere near the beating a 3/4 ton will

True, but with a tow capacity of well over 10,000 lbs, that trailer is nowhere near the limit for a 1500.

*Edit*
That tow capacity is for the Hemi. The eco diesel the OP is asking about is about 9500 lbs. But still...

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
yeah it might not be towing at max capacity but having the truck maxed in payload puts a lot of strain on the suspension, frame, drivetrain, etc...

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You got a scale to weigh tongue weight with......remember.......if you move 100 lbs from the front of the camper to the back, it can make almost double that difference in the tongue weight, but no difference in overall weight.

It all depends on how far forward of the axles it was and how far behind the axles you put it.

Last edited:

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
IMO, its pushing the limit of that truck. He's close to the payload capacity before he adds food, beverages, clothes, gas grill, firewood, ect. The WDH is going to add 70+lbs or so.

I always see people posting, if he's only towing a few times a yr, he'll be fine. Sorry but it only takes one trip for things to go very wrong. If your over the rigs capacity, it doesn't matter if you tow once a yr or every day.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Ok here is something to consider most people aren't counting that ram starts off with 150lb driver so gotta subtrac 150 from the orgional 500 for occupants bringing that number down to 350. Total payload of a 4wd crew cab big horn Eco diesel is 1233 2wd is 1432. Subtract 350 from 1233 you get 883 now if he can shift some storage items from the front to back and bring his tounge weight down to 600 or less you get 283 minus the hitch he's at 200 remaining payload. On 4wd on a 2wd he will have 400lbs payload left. I agree he's close but he can load up gear and luggage in the trailer in the back making the tounge even lighter. If he can stay within the payload of his truck why go 2500? Being a daily driver doesn't make sense to get 12mpg less from a eco diesel to a 2500 hemi. That being said if he wants Eco deisel larmie it won't work the 4wd payload is only 1088. 2wd 1276.