Maxtrac 7" vs. Rough Country 6" Suspension Lift (2wd)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThatDavidGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all,

I have a 2012 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi 2wd and want to install a suspension lift on it. I am trying to decide on the Maxtrac 7” lift or the Rough Country 6” lift. I’m sure a lot of you here have great reviews on Maxtrac but does anyone have the Rough Country lift? I will provide the links below, thank you :: ))

-Is the 1” height difference advertised really going to make a difference in running 37”(maybe 36”) tires? Both companies list up-to 37” tires with correct wheel dimensions.

-Is 1’’ height difference visually noticeable? I know this might sound like "duh…" but am I getting a true 1” height loss?

-Maxtrac has springs, knuckles, shocks, break lines and that’s about it? V.S. Rought Country has that and more. Does this equal better ride quality or better safety in the steering department?

http://www.roughcountry.com/dodge-suspension-lift-kit-32230.html

http://www.maxtracsuspension.com/09-15-ram-1500-2wd-5-7-hemi-7-lift-kit-w-maxtrac-shocks.html

sm10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the maxtrac 4.5" lift and can currently fit 37s but only 12.50 wide with stock wheels. I think the first thing you should do is measure the front end compared to the rear end. Maxtrac 7" lift is designed for trucks with 2.5" of rake in order to level the truck out with that lift. I wanted the 7", but my truck only had 2" of rake so I was stuck with the 4.5" lift. There was no way I was going to end up with the front higher than the rear. Its a great lift, but I have not heard anything about Rough Country 2wd lifts. You could jack up the front end or whole side of your truck to see what 6" vs 7" of lift would look like.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
And I'm sure the RC is a good kit, but I think we have a Maxtrac rep on this site. To me, that means a lot too...that's Customer Service.

PS LOVE my Maxtrac 4.5/3"

OP
OP
ThatDavidGuy

ThatDavidGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the maxtrac 4.5" lift and can currently fit 37s but only 12.50 wide with stock wheels. I think the first thing you should do is measure the front end compared to the rear end. Maxtrac 7" lift is designed for trucks with 2.5" of rake in order to level the truck out with that lift. I wanted the 7", but my truck only had 2" of rake so I was stuck with the 4.5" lift. There was no way I was going to end up with the front higher than the rear. Its a great lift, but I have not heard anything about Rough Country 2wd lifts. You could jack up the front end or whole side of your truck to see what 6" vs 7" of lift would look like.

I'm glad to hear 37's will fit on the 4.5 Maxtrac with stock wheels. Mine came factory with the 20 inch stock wheel(Express Model) so I am guessing it had the 2 inch rake? I didn't measure before installing a leveling kit. I dont mind adding a block/spacer in the rear but not want the "Calli" lean if saying that correctly, just a nice level or mild rake in front is fine. From my understanding, correct me if wrong, the RC lift for listed Ram is new to market? I have searched the web and have not found a picture of it installed...I can however jack the truck to get an idea of the height.

OP
OP
ThatDavidGuy

ThatDavidGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And I'm sure the RC is a good kit, but I think we have a Maxtrac rep on this site. To me, that means a lot too...that's Customer Service.

PS LOVE my Maxtrac 4.5/3"

Agreed, having a manufacturer active in the forum is a big plus to me...Nice looking truck Sir! I have a silver crew cab!

OP
OP
ThatDavidGuy

ThatDavidGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wanted to add that I will most likely stick to the stock chrome cad 20 inch wheels after said lift is installed. But, I will be interested in finalizing the look with either 20x10 -24 4.5-4.8 backspacing or 20x12 -44 4.8-5 backspacing. I may have to add the 3 inch PA body lift I have laying around. :D

DKnight521

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm getting the 6" RC put on mine on Monday. There isn't a huge diff in quality between the two, so I decided an extra inch wasn't worth $400

OP
OP
ThatDavidGuy

ThatDavidGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm getting the 6" RC put on mine on Monday. There isn't a huge diff in quality between the two, so I decided an extra inch wasn't worth $400

Please please update me when installed I would love to see how it looks :)

DKnight521

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please please update me when installed I would love to see how it looks :)

Definitely! What tires are you going with? Mine is going to look a bit off for a few weeks/months since I just bought a set of 275/60r20 A/Ts I'll be keeping on til I find a buyer

Truchris2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just installed the 6'' rough country lift kit on my 2016 ram 1500 2wd on tire size 35x11.50x20's.
beast2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThatDavidGuy

ThatDavidGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DKnight521, i'm currently running the Nitto Terra Grappler G2(LT275 /65 R20 if not mistaken). I think it equates to a 34" tall 11.5"? wide and absolutely LOVE them! Thinking of getting another set in 37x12.5x20 after the lift but the Atturo Trail Blade M/T looks mean. Anyone have a report on tread life for them? I hear ya on your tire situation I still have plenty of tread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThatDavidGuy

ThatDavidGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone have there lifts installed yet?

Last edited:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Agreed, having a manufacturer active in the forum is a big plus to me...Nice looking truck Sir! I have a silver crew cab!
sorry missed this, was on vacation. Thank you for the kind words.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really wanted the 7", but i have kids that are too small to get up. I have Maxtrax 4.5/3 with 1.5 rear wheel spacer (the front will stick out about 1" out because of the spindle swap). Stock wheels/tires. Mine sit pretty level. I can up go higher later on. To acheive 7" lift. All i need is 1.5 rear spacer and 2" front spacer or coil spring from Maxtrac.

20171111_142445[1].jpg

20171111_143912[1].jpg

Leon_Ram2.jpg

Leon_Ram.jpg

Last edited:

Chima

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In for more pics of the RC lift...

Quique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Getting mine installed now (RC 6"). Can post pics soon if still interested.