Mechanic says I need a new engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

far3000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L NA
Long time lurker. Looking for feedback/ thoughts on replacing an engine.

2005 Ram
Laramie Quad Cab Long Bed 2WD Engine 4.7L V8 SOHC 16V

200k miles
I bought it a couple years ago for $6k. I put another $1000 into it for maintenance and comfort, so I'm $7000 into it thus far.

There had been some white smoke coming out of it. It's overheated on me once and I've had recurring low oil pressure. Otherwise it drives great....however:

My mechanic tells me the truck needs an engine. The smoke is reportedly due to burning oil, and timing cover and water pump are leaking.

He quoted me $1200 to fix the leaks, but recommended putting in a rebuilt engine. The quote is $5560 out the door.

Aside from the engine, the truck operates wonderfully. I'm hesitant on replacing the motor because of the cost. It will come w/ a 12k mile or 12 month warranty. The mechanic is highly regarded as trustworthy in town (and I went to elementary school with him), but I've personally never used him. All our friends use him and I have no reason to not trust him.

My other mechanic friend (no longer in the business) thinks the price if OK, especially if done by a professional garage that has experience w/ the truck and replacing its engines. He also thinks that $5k is a good deal if the truck lasts another 200k miles.

Transmission runs great, but again, it has 200k miles on it, so that could be another expense down the line. Just hoping for feedback. Thanks much.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you throw in a transmission rebuild your now looking at 7K +.

Around here you can pick up nice low milage 3rd gens with the 5.7 for just a few more thousand which you can make up selling your truck as is.

My vote is....get another truck with the 5.7.

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you put an new or rebuilt engine in front of a 200K tranny you are probably looking at a failed trans in the near future. So between cost of the truck, money you have already spent and the money you will spend on a engine and trans you are looking at $14K in a 14 year old truck with over 200K. In my humble opinion those numbers don’t add up.

If you can look at another truck...good luck and welcome to the forum.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You got to think what else will need replacing due to wear an tear. Regardless of engine our trucks being longer in the tooth will need general up keep. You got a 15 yr old truck may be a better bet to cut your losses now

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
But remember if you do that you know exactly what you have and plus have a fresh drivetrain. Also buying another truck just gets you into someone else’s problems

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At that rate, you already have a car payment, but its in giant lump sums instead of spaced out. Get something newer with that amount of money.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
You got to think what else will need replacing due to wear an tear. Regardless of engine our trucks being longer in the tooth will need general up keep. You got a 15 yr old truck may be a better bet to cut your losses now
That's quiters talk. Never get rid of a good truck, but be prepared to spend alot of money lol

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
**** all that.........carry a case of oil and a jug of water. Refill each as necessary and drive that ***** until it drops dead, then buy another.