A new engine it is! LOL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Long story short, original engine (5.7) with 165K mils on it started developing the inevitable "tick" and it didn't go away after replacing the exhaust bolts... So drove it for a bit and as I was preshing on the gas one morning it started shuttering and sputtering and code came up with CEL.
Had it taken in to a reputable shop and it indeed h ad a lube on the cam and a lifter that went out (Cylinder #3)

1 week later and $9K later, new engine was installed from LKQ with a 4 year - unlimited mileage warranty (including labor)
Not happy about it, but I guess I'll see how long this engine will last... I average about 38-45K miles per year so we shall see.

Attachments

• IMG_1601.jpeg
    IMG_1601.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
New rebuilt engine or yours? Someone in brentwood do it?

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
New rebuilt engine or yours? Someone in brentwood do it?
it was a new crank engine from LKQ.. Never heard of them but the shop that installed it (Franks Automotive in Tulare, Ca) said it had the best warranty and they had just installed the same engine on another 5.7 that was there a few weeks ago, so we went with that one.

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No offense but that's one club I'd like to see with a very small membership, which doesn't include me.
Right? What a thing to boast about lol

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Long story short, original engine (5.7) with 165K mils on it started developing the inevitable "tick" and it didn't go away after replacing the exhaust bolts... So drove it for a bit and as I was preshing on the gas one morning it started shuttering and sputtering and code came up with CEL.
Had it taken in to a reputable shop and it indeed h ad a lube on the cam and a lifter that went out (Cylinder #3)

1 week later and $9K later, new engine was installed from LKQ with a 4 year - unlimited mileage warranty (including labor)
Not happy about it, but I guess I'll see how long this engine will last... I average about 38-45K miles per year so we shall see.
A "New" engine? From LKQ?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What I don't get is why not spend the extra 2K and get a 6.4 right away. Aren't they pretty much a drop in replacement?

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
No offense taken.. It's not exactly a club to boast about, but I'll be curious on how many miles I'll be able rack on with the LKQ engine in it. I've got 4 years with unlimited mileage, I can do lots of damage on the road.. ;)

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
What I don't get is why not spend the extra 2K and get a 6.4 right away. Aren't they pretty much a drop in replacement?
Also the $9k includes the labor on the warranty, the crate engine was around $4200, labor and parts is what brought it to $9200, so when you say "just another $2K, is that the total additional cost? or the cost on a crate engine?... details, details..

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Crate engine does mean anything anymore, maybe it never did, all it means is that is comes on a crate. It is different then a blue printed engine.

When it comes to oil choice, you can either use a strategy with low protective additives or high protective additives. Sadly your EPA has decided all oils sold on the shelf and carry api cert to be low additive oils. These additives protect sliding metal like lifters and cam lobs. There is an attack on engine oil, every new spec takes away protection. Now SP is low additive and thin.

Lubegard Biotech

Redline 5w30

The interesting thing is it would be exactly what you might think, the strategy that has less of these additives has a lesser success rate, but still have a good success rate. Lubegard biotech is about 50% effective at killing hemi tick, redline 5w30 is about 80% effective and has basically double the additives as it is read in the sump. The main problem is now redline and cost, so a lot of guys are running biotech at 15 ounces. There are levels and options on how much protection you want to go with. I also would go with heavier viscosity, 30 weight for sure, and read the oil filter thread. You can be pro-active and some of these strategies are free, just to use a 30 weight would give you some extra protection and would cost not a penny more. Then you can get into high flow synthetic filters and an additive or a HP oil.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, we who have had to replace the Hemis with high dollar replacements are NOT boasting.
Guys in the rust belt might disagree - I mean, at least your truck isn't turning to dust as you drive

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I read some reviews regarding LKQ and they have been pretty solid prior to the install. What experience have you had with them to conclude they are "junk"?

I think he meant they are a legitimate wrecking yard,not "junk" as you're thinking.They're well known for their low milege take-outs of Hellcat drivelines from wrecked Hellcats. I wasn't aware they were rebuilding engines now.

73-Cudah2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes In Minnesota LKQ was selling parts out of a wrecking yard where you can pull parts your self. They also had new parts you could buy. Yes I am a member of the new engine club. My 2014 Ram's 5.7 engine had bad Cam and lifters at 156,000. I had to pay $14,000.00 for a new engine. I hope that class action case works for us who bought them. I would like some of that money back in my pocket. Funny thing ( Not funny) the "Tick" is loud as ever. tick, tick, tick! I have a 3 year warranty "built new 5.7 by Jasper engines ". I love the truck but MAN!

Kid's HEMI! !!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read some reviews regarding LKQ and they have been pretty solid prior to the install. What experience have you had with them to conclude they are "junk"?
Like I said, it’s literally a junkyard where you go and pick your parts from wrecked vehicles