A new engine it is! LOL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Like I said, it’s literally a junkyard where you go and pick your parts from wrecked vehicles
My understanding is that LKQ owns numerous junk yards, but the reman engine that was installed in my truck has a 4 year/Unlimited mileage warranty on it.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My understanding is that LKQ owns numerous junk yards, but the reman engine that was installed in my truck has a 4 year/Unlimited mileage warranty on it.
LKQ Corp is huge and owns dozens of other companies, 40K + employees. NASDAQ symbol "LKQ", yes they sell their own reman engines /transmissions, they own Keystone, Transwheel Corp and lots more.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes In Minnesota LKQ was selling parts out of a wrecking yard where you can pull parts your self. They also had new parts you could buy. Yes I am a member of the new engine club. My 2014 Ram's 5.7 engine had bad Cam and lifters at 156,000. I had to pay $14,000.00 for a new engine. I hope that class action case works for us who bought them. I would like some of that money back in my pocket. Funny thing ( Not funny) the "Tick" is loud as ever. tick, tick, tick! I have a 3 year warranty "built new 5.7 by Jasper engines ". I love the truck but MAN!
Perhaps it is merely "semantics"..... A Reman or rebuilt engine is FAR FAR FAR from a new one!
A NEW engine is just THAT.... NEW. This means never-stressed components, all factory components made to their stringent engineering specifications, and a much higher confidence in the potential for long term success for the owner of the car.

Jasper, Power Torque, et. al. engine rebuilders are businesses FIRST and foremost. Profit is what it's all about! I have personally and professionally used Jasper and other component rebuilders of engines, differentials, manual transmissions, and automatic transmissions in my customers' cars. These instances were where my customers made an informed choice based upon me presenting them with ALL the facts germane to the differences encountered when choosing 1)used component, 2)rebuilt component, or 3) A brand new component. All these choices are spiced with issues such as where and by whom and to what limitations are extant on the warranty on each item and how claims are handled.

By and large, the factory reman programs garner lower profit for me, but give my customer a better security of breadth of coverages. E.G. I replaced the auto trans in one of my customer's 2005 Expedition a number of years ago. He chose the Ford Factory reman unit because he was giving the SUV to his son, who was to head off out of state for college at the beginning of the upcoming school term.

Said young man got up to college, and the trans had problems. Dad calls me, asks what to do. I said "Take it to the dealer; They'll honor the warranty". He did. The dealer called me, had me fax a copy of the original purchase invoice to them, and the trans was replaced within a gross time of 72 hours from break down to the son picking it up.

The Dad called me a day or 2 later, and just garnered me with accolades about how seamlessly the entire problem was handled. Ford even reimbursed him for towing. They did charge him for fluid because that wasn't a covered item.

Ditto the same basic scenario on a GM SERTA (Service Replacement Transmission Assembly) that I'd replaced on a commercial landscaping truck here locally.

tig_d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes In Minnesota LKQ was selling parts out of a wrecking yard where you can pull parts your self. They also had new parts you could buy. Yes I am a member of the new engine club. My 2014 Ram's 5.7 engine had bad Cam and lifters at 156,000. I had to pay $14,000.00 for a new engine. I hope that class action case works for us who bought them. I would like some of that money back in my pocket. Funny thing ( Not funny) the "Tick" is loud as ever. tick, tick, tick! I have a 3 year warranty "built new 5.7 by Jasper engines ". I love the truck but MAN!

Since it sounds like you're a fellow Minnesotan, any particular advice? I just posted separately requesting guidance on my girlfriend's 2013 RAM 2500, which was diagnosed today as needing a new engine. The shop we're using is reputable, but I don't know how specialized their knowledge is about this particular vehicle and engine, so I'd really appreciate input from someone in the region who's been through this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Perhaps it is merely "semantics"..... A Reman or rebuilt engine is FAR FAR FAR from a new one!
A NEW engine is just THAT.... NEW. This means never-stressed components, all factory components made to their stringent engineering specifications, and a much higher confidence in the potential for long term success for the owner of the car.

Jasper, Power Torque, et. al. engine rebuilders are businesses FIRST and foremost. Profit is what it's all about! I have personally and professionally used Jasper and other component rebuilders of engines, differentials, manual transmissions, and automatic transmissions in my customers' cars. These instances were where my customers made an informed choice based upon me presenting them with ALL the facts germane to the differences encountered when choosing 1)used component, 2)rebuilt component, or 3) A brand new component. All these choices are spiced with issues such as where and by whom and to what limitations are extant on the warranty on each item and how claims are handled.

By and large, the factory reman programs garner lower profit for me, but give my customer a better security of breadth of coverages. E.G. I replaced the auto trans in one of my customer's 2005 Expedition a number of years ago. He chose the Ford Factory reman unit because he was giving the SUV to his son, who was to head off out of state for college at the beginning of the upcoming school term.

Said young man got up to college, and the trans had problems. Dad calls me, asks what to do. I said "Take it to the dealer; They'll honor the warranty". He did. The dealer called me, had me fax a copy of the original purchase invoice to them, and the trans was replaced within a gross time of 72 hours from break down to the son picking it up.

The Dad called me a day or 2 later, and just garnered me with accolades about how seamlessly the entire problem was handled. Ford even reimbursed him for towing. They did charge him for fluid because that wasn't a covered item.

Ditto the same basic scenario on a GM SERTA (Service Replacement Transmission Assembly) that I'd replaced on a commercial landscaping truck here locally
NOTED..... It's "new" to me, but I do understand that it is a reman engine. The other reman engine I was offered when presented from the shop where the services were being performed had stated that they had done 3 of these engines this year and another that was recently installed a few weeks prior to mine going in, they also stated that they had the best warranty (4 years/unlimited mileage - which includes the labor)