Mechanic won't install Bilstein 5100s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mellis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all, new here, just bought a 2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn and I love everything about it but the factory rake.

Bought a set of the 5100s, and was supposed to have them installed today. My mechanic called and thinks the clip ring isn't substantial enough to "support the entire weight of the front of the truck." I tried explaining to him that when I saw the ring I thought it looked sketchy too, but all the research I've done assures me it's fine.

I just told him I didn't want to make him feel uncomfortable and would pick the (unleveled) truck back up.

Guess I need a new mechanic. I live in a rural area, I'm guessing he just hasn't seen these before. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you need a new mechanic. How many millions of ring style adjustable shocks have the major companies sold, vs him installing them?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The rings look flimsy but they'll support the truck weight and more, if he had done before he'll know. i would worry the dude would do hack job so i'd think it'll be better for you to find another shop.

OP
OP
mellis

mellis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know. Just sucks, he's done work for me for years, including engine and transmission replacements. Always trustworthy, always a great price, never any problems.

Plus I'm driving the gf's Kia Soul today and I feel like I'm driving a go cart and should be wearing a Shriner's hat.

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
I know. Just sucks, he's done work for me for years, including engine and transmission replacements. Always trustworthy, always a great price, never any problems.

Plus I'm driving the gf's Kia Soul today and I feel like I'm driving a go cart and should be wearing a Shriner's hat.

Ha don’t feel bad, my wife has a green Honda Element. Every time I drive it I want to put a mask on so I’m not recognized. It’s got 127k on it and she won’t let me get rid of it. It just keeps on running. I shouldn’t complain since it’s paid for...

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If you trust him just tell him those rings are more than fine and there are thousands if not millions of vehicles running struts with that feature. Point out to him the instructions and to play close attention to the the top nut install and that should be it.

OP
OP
mellis

mellis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you trust him just tell him those rings are more than fine and there are thousands if not millions of vehicles running struts with that feature. Point out to him the instructions and to play close attention to the the top nut install and that should be it.

Not gonna bother. He's uncomfortable with them, so I'm not going to have him work on it. I'd rather have someone with the knowhow put them in. I'd do it myself, but I don't have a spring compressor and I'm not comfortable messing with one for the first time ever, so it's worth it to me to pay to have someone put them on.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck gets a weekly whoopin and never had an issue. I know of guys who get a little more airborne than they should on these style struts and never have I seen the ring give up.

Clay_C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
play close attention to the the top nut install and that should be it.
I have seen people say this before but I cant figure out what the issue is with the top nut. I just installed some on my truck this past weekend and now i'm hoping I didn't miss anything.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have seen people say this before but I cant figure out what the issue is with the top nut. I just installed some on my truck this past weekend and now i'm hoping I didn't miss anything.
I told the same thing to myself as well how hard could it be to mess this up ? i would have messed it up if i didn't read the instructions..., even the example youtube video i found to illustrate the install was wrong. See this post here: https://www.ramforum.com/posts/1968462/

You have to read the instructions at least twice because some dummy at Bilstein forgot to add the pic with the top mounting plate /hat or whatever is called, so most of the times if you're not paying attention you'll place the washer underneath the nut, insted of that washer first at the top of the shaft stem, then the hat, then the nut.

Clay_C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you'll place the washer underneath the nut, insted of that washer first at the top of the shaft stem, then the hat, then the nut.
DAMNIT! I installed it wrong. Does anyone know what kind of issues this will cause?I am really not wanting to take them back out.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DAMNIT! I installed it wrong. Does anyone know what kind of issues this will cause?I am really not wanting to take them back out.
Will make it noisy when hitting bumps

inthe510

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This was Bilstein's response to my email to them asking what could go wrong,

"Hello,

It is hard to tell what can happen however we recommend having them taken apart and reassembled correctly, chances are the piston rod is not captured correctly and will start moving through the upper mount eventually.

Thanks for your inquiry

Kind Regards,
Junior Africa
Technical & Warranty Support Expert
thyssenkrupp Bilstein of America, Inc"

I had my dealership remove and reinstall the shocks after they placed washer directly below the nut. Below is a picture of another forum member's truck after the rod forced its way through.

IMG_3035.JPG

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^that pic shows exactly what happens if assembled incorrectly. The washer is used to prevent the shaft from breaching thru

Mitch1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins Diesel
^^^that pic shows exactly what happens if assembled incorrectly. The washer is used to prevent the shaft from breaching thru
It doesn't even look like he used a washer. The strut mount looks old too looking at the nuts. They give you new ones. It should be changed everytime.
Just to add I've used Bilsteins over the years. I prefer Ranchos. They are wider, bigger shaft and handle better. In my opinion a better shock/strut.

94ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't throw the baby out with the bath water, He obviously has quality standards. It's not easy to find a mechanic who's honest, talented, and dependable. You have to take into consideration how jacked up everything is due to law suits and liability, I bet his insurance is pretty high, he more than likely has responsibilities including a family, you can't blame him, when you really look at the facts, unless you're a millionaire one nasty lawsuit and the average Joe is ruined. Or...maybe he actually likes and appreciates you as a customer and is concerned about your personal safety, a good honest,reliable paying customer is a good thing. Dead customers aren't good for business, lol

slam 425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 e-torque
I had my mechanic install them on my sons 2014 express blackout so he could put on bigger tires. Truck looks much better leveled and he hasn’t had any problems at all