Mileage Concern

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nine Four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hello everyone. First time post, as well as first time Ram owner.

I recently purchased a 2016 3500 with the Cummins in it. There have been a couple of red flags this week, that give me concern about the odometer mileage being accurate.

Any thoughts on the mileages in the picture? The truck was off, so please disregard the CEL.

Thanks

ODO.jpeg

OP
OP
Nine Four

Nine Four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What is your hours?

60 and 1130 on the cluster.

However, I do have an Autel Scanner (better than just a code reader) and according to the data, the hours it listed were about 1200 on idle and around 6000 on drive. I was trying to multitask at the time and will need to double check those numbers to be 100% certain.Hours.jpeg

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Carfax does not give any concrete evidence by looking at mileage. However, there are an eerily few number of reports on it.

I’m thinking that dealer is about to own themselves a Cummins again. That piggy has 140k on it. Must have been a transporter of some sort.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
There are a few RAM techs and one manager that frequents the forum, maybe post your VIN and see if they can do some digging and see if it had logged visits to any dealers for warranty?

OP
OP
Nine Four

Nine Four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would be happy to talk to someone privately about my VIN, but at this point I'm not sure if I should/want to put it on a social site.

I think the next step is to have my local Ram dealer put their scanner on it and compare the mileage and hours on the ECU with what's on the cluster. I guess at that point I should have concrete proof one way or the other and can begin working with the purchasing dealership.

My Autel scanner has this to say about the hours.

Scanner Hours.jpeg

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would be happy to talk to someone privately about my VIN, but at this point I'm not sure if I should/want to put it on a social site.

I think the next step is to have my local Ram dealer put their scanner on it and compare the mileage and hours on the ECU with what's on the cluster. I guess at that point I should have concrete proof one way or the other and can begin working with the purchasing dealership.

My Autel scanner has this to say about the hours.

View attachment 128906

Yup that was a long haul carrier of some sort, likely did all their own oil changes and bought a low mileage cluster on eBay for the reason of depreciation.

Curious does it have a 5th wheel or goose neck pin? I’m betting it does and it’s a dually

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Yup that was a long haul carrier of some sort, likely did all their own oil changes and bought a low mileage cluster on eBay for the reason of depreciation.

Curious does it have a 5th wheel or goose neck pin? I’m betting it does and it’s a dually
Shoot. Some of these guys take the bed off. Throw a hitch on and then before turn in put bed back on. No holes no sign of trailer towing. Slimy ********

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just curious, what trim level is the truck? tradesman? i believe it's less likely to get a big horn with that particular guage cluster in it. that may allude to the fact that the cluster was swapped out.

OP
OP
Nine Four

Nine Four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thank you to everyone who has commented. I initially posted as kind of a self check, to make sure I was not overthinking this or missing something. Unfortunately, the red flags keep flying.

If you have had an experience like this and have had it resolved satisfactorily, I would love to have some guidance on how I should proceed. The purchasing dealership (not a Ram dealer) has been very helpful to this point and is waiting to see what the OE scan tool says.

just curious, what trim level is the truck? tradesman? i believe it's less likely to get a big horn with that particular guage cluster in it. that may allude to the fact that the cluster was swapped out.

This is a tradesman edition.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it has the miles listed there is no issues. If it has about 140k by my guess, they were hard working miles and they need to take it back. Odometer tampering is a federal crime and they will have to unwind/take back the truck.

I wonder if they can see the DEF consumption, as well when the motor was last flashed, betting it had a programmer and the DEF system disabled for a majority of its life.

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Guaranteed that the truck's gauge cluster was switched out. Did you see a carfax full of service records prior to purchase? Does the chassis and engine bay look like it belongs to a 140K mile truck? Did the selling price reflect a 30K mile vehicle or 140K vehicle?

The dealership you purchased if from has no choice but to take back the vehicle and remediate the sale as it was sold under felony false pretenses. You can easily start an investigation via your state's DMV and retain an attorney to litigate this illegal transaction, if the selling dealer turns a blind eye. If the FCA dealership confirms your suspicions, follow the proper channels as I'm confident you'll have your Benjamins back. I wonder how many other vehicles are sitting on this lot with odometer issues? Good luck to a quick (and honest) remedy.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guaranteed that the truck's gauge cluster was switched out. Did you see a carfax full of service records prior to purchase? Does the chassis and engine bay look like it belongs to a 140K mile truck? Did the selling price reflect a 30K mile vehicle or 140K vehicle?

The dealership you purchased if from has no choice but to take back the vehicle and remediate the sale as it was sold under felony false pretenses. You can easily start an investigation via your state's DMV and retain an attorney to litigate this illegal transaction, if the selling dealer turns a blind eye. If the FCA dealership confirms your suspicions, follow the proper channels as I'm confident you'll have your Benjamins back. I wonder how many other vehicles are sitting on this lot with odometer issues? Good luck to a quick (and honest) remedy.

I’m betting the dealer is clueless to it being wrong. We see this once a month here in Tampa but the bad guys aren’t as smart as they think they are. We got stung the first time, we won’t let it happen again.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

The mileage is from the ECM so even swapping the gauge cluster will not alter mileage. You have to actually reprogram the ECM to do it.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
This thread is crazy. I’m interested in knowing if the dealership continues to play nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk