Mods. Voiding warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack7587

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to be buying my new truck soon. Does anyone know what the policy is on making modifications while under warranty. What can and can't I do? I'm wanting to ad a leveling kit to it. Just wondering if I'm going to run into any issues. Thanks.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
i'd ask the dealer you're buying from - some are tight, some are easy going

worst case scenario, a levelling kit will void the warranty on your front suspension and possibly pop the ball joints also - so best to replace UCAs with beefier aftermarket ones or just go for height adjustable shocks.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
This ^

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Raist11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It'll come down to the dealer and your level of luck. Back when I was into Jeeps, some guys didn't have problems. A buddy got his alternator replaced under warranty after it being gunked up with mud.. Then some will get refused because of aftermarket seat covers (slight exaggeration).

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the best is if u can get it from the dealer with the work done.. then there is no question and they will warranty it

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

For some reason people on here keep referring to the Magnuson Moss Act but it doesn't mean a darn thing after you have modified the product that is suppose to be covered under the warranty. Just have a little common sense and personal responsibility. If you put on a leveling or lift kit, and then you have problems with ball joints of cv shafts, that's on you. You can modify anything on the vehicle you want as long as you are okay with repairing or covering the cost of the other parts that are affected by the modification. The is not a single mod that will void the entire warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hitman0002

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 CC Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For some reason people on here keep referring to the Magnuson Moss Act but it doesn't mean a darn thing after you have modified the product that is suppose to be covered under the warranty. Just have a little common sense and personal responsibility. If you put on a leveling or lift kit, and then you have problems with ball joints of cv shafts, that's on you. You can modify anything on the vehicle you want as long as you are okay with repairing or covering the cost of the other parts that are affected by the modification. The is not a single mod that will void the entire warranty.

Not to start an argument but that law is there for people like us. If the dealer sells the same types of mods that are on your truck I.g. some form or fashion of a CAI technically they have to fix it or find just cause that it was the actually mod itself being defective which caused the problem. Now that being said good luck beating the dealership in a disagreement unless they actually did the mods for you. Like I said not trying to start an argument... because I feel the same as all you.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8

he's right.

also, yes, the dealer can do the work for you..however it's with warranted parts with the work done by licensed techs.

if you throw in parts that chrysler doesn't "recognize" with the work done by a 3rd party mechanic and something fails directly due to it...chrysler wouldn't and shouldn't fix it.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
being in the aftermarket business for 12+ years. what the magnusson-moss act protects you against is say you have a lift and you blow a motor. the dealer has to PROVE that your aftermarket parts caused the issue. in my time in the business i had to use it. once the customer went in there with the act printed out the dealer had a change of heart and would 99.9% of the time fix the issue

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
For some reason people on here keep referring to the Magnuson Moss Act but it doesn't mean a darn thing after you have modified the product that is suppose to be covered under the warranty.

Although you came to a conclusion I agree with, that there isn't a single mod that will void the warranty, I'm confused how got there from this part.

The Magnusson-Moss Act does indeed still mean exactly what it means whether you mod the product or not. They can legally deny coverage if they can prove, or can at least make a case, that the mod may have had something to do with the failure.

Regardless, dealers will try to cry foul on every mod they can see, because it's a business. They don't want to have to pay for anything. Legal action or the threat thereof may be required to make some dealers see reason when the mod has nothing to do with warranty work. So, the other way things aren't covered under warranty is if the owner gives up. But that can and does happen even when the truck isn't modded at all.

You're right about using personal responsibility, but that's not the same thing as saying "roll over and take it" when they're trying to get out of covering your brakes if all you did was add a light bar.

So, no mod can void your warranty, but you may have to fight to get something fixed later if the dealer is a *******.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just FYI there is a memo from Ram regarding "popped" ball joints, if they see them and they are smart they will refer to said memo and investigate if spacers were added, and could potentially void your front suspension warranty. I remember seeing a thread on here with an actual photocopy of the memo. Honestly you're better off just putting a lift kit on it, and if you can swing it put the Mopar one on and they will honor it. However If you looking to off road the truck then screw your warranty anyways because that's a whole different road when it comes to modding..

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Exactly my point in posting. Any failed part/component that should be covered can be denied but it has to be shown that a modification or owner abuse caused it.
Lifting a vehicle doesn't mean you've voided a warranty.
And a Dealer isn't the guarantor.
Sorry my forum didn't up date until after I posted my response.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
When it comes to 5100's, Mopar does sell a 3" or 4" lift that uses 5100's and I had a buddy who was able to get his CV's replaced under warranty because he showed that Mopar would install the same thing and thus the same end result would happen. Granted he is a ASE Cert. Tech with 10+ years of experience which probably helped vs just your regular joe doing it himself.

Nick1500Josh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so what if I, or had a 3rd party ASE certified place, installed a 6" Superlift lift kit on my truck. It only has the 100k power train warranty on it now. But since the stealership uses the same lift, if something broke (say a u-joint or whatever), would they honor it because it's a lift they install on all their vehicles?!

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Ok so what if I, or had a 3rd party ASE certified place, installed a 6" Superlift lift kit on my truck. It only has the 100k power train warranty on it now. But since the stealership uses the same lift, if something broke (say a u-joint or whatever), would they honor it because it's a lift they install on all their vehicles?!

Something to keep in mind. Dealerships that install these jacked up high non-oem lifts and sell them, are going to be your one and only place to get warranty on either the lift and/or warranty for any powertrain components that fail.

If you move or take to any other dealer, they are no going to warranty the other dealers lift work and more than likely flag any related powertrain related issue and deny warranty.

Do not confuse what a dealer puts on as an accessory or mod as having the blessing of FCA.

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Check to see if the place where you have the lift installed will warranty their parts and labor. Any good shop should give you some type of warranty. However, if they install a lift and a u-joint goes soon after, they may not warranty that u-joint (unless you get them to install new u-joints with the lift).

I wouldn't expect the dealer to warranty the u-joint as well, as it's failure likely resulted from a modification that the u-joint was not engineered to support.

Nick1500Josh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check to see if the place where you have the lift installed will warranty their parts and labor. Any good shop should give you some type of warranty. However, if they install a lift and a u-joint goes soon after, they may not warranty that u-joint (unless you get them to install new u-joints with the lift).

I wouldn't expect the dealer to warranty the u-joint as well, as it's failure likely resulted from a modification that the u-joint was not engineered to support.

I've never lifted anything so I'm very curious as to what Zone and BDS 'factory protection plus' warranty covers. Using the above example, if I bought one of those kits and got the plus protection and a u-joint failed, would they cover it or not? I'm sure the dealer would blame the lift as would any common sense individual but isn't that the point of the 'factory protection' plan...... To cover anything the dealer wouldn't associated with the lift?

If not, then what WOULD they cover, aside from their own lift kit parts?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm interested in hearing the answer to your Q.
I'm likely going BDS 6" , I have the 6yr/60k drive train through Chrysler.

SUBSCRIBED...