Moisture inside Cabin?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a '14 Ram 1500 4 door. During the summer months it isn't used often as my Miata becomes the vehicle of choice except for when it rains. I recently used the truck and noticed some moisture build up on the inside of the windshield. Running the defogger removed it after a while (it was pretty heavy) but it also caused me to look for possible sources of intrusion. I failed to check mats for dampness underneath but I did notice the rear door moldings at the top of the openings are sagging a bit, the drivers side more than the passenger side. I can push them back into position but opening the door again either pulls them down or allows them to sag again. Not a huge amount but enough that it "may" be causing a problem. I supposed a garden hose with me inside while my wife sprays would offer an insight, but if the intrusion is slower and more like a seep I may not find it anyway. The amount of water could have happened over a period of time since we haven't had much rain around here until recent weeks, and when I did use the truck the A/C was probably running anyway.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? The molding appears to be a continuous strip running around the entire door frame and is in otherwise excellent condition. My initial thought was to try and adhere the strip to the top with an adhesive of some sort as the original attachment seems to be simply a tight fit that has decided to not be tight any more.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
First thing I would do is feel around under the rear seat and under the carpeting, especially where the rear cab wall meets the floor. Doing the rear seat mod so you can flop the rear seat back down is a very handy thing to do for this.

3rd/high mounted brake light is the most common leak source. You may or may not see staining at the rear corners of the headliner due to this.

Rear cab vents that you can see thru the gap between the bed and cab are also very common leakers. Again, gotta do the rear seat mod to troubleshoot that.

OP
OP
patchelect

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Excellent suggestions. The third brake light has leaked on every vehicle I have ever owned whenever they were outside mounted. I don't know why I was thinking so deeply. We are enjoying rain today but tomorrow appears to be a dry forecast and that will be my first place to look.

Thanks for the obvious idea that I couldn't think of!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Excellent suggestions. The third brake light has leaked on every vehicle I have ever owned whenever they were outside mounted. I don't know why I was thinking so deeply. We are enjoying rain today but tomorrow appears to be a dry forecast and that will be my first place to look.

Thanks for the obvious idea that I couldn't think of!

The windshield molding has been known to leak,and another couple known leak area besides it and the third brake light,are the XMS antenae on the roof,and the rubber sealing strips that run the length of the cab on the roof. All are known leak areas.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gotta check mine again did it 2 years ago when it was leaking from the 3rd brake light, I’m thinking it’s cab vents this time time for the rear seat mod.

OP
OP
patchelect

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I pulled the light off from the roof and although I didn't find anything solid, the gasket was quite dried at the top edge and I put a bead of silicone around the opening. I also checked the rugs and couldn't find any damp spots. I lifted the mats and flopped the back seat over but everything checked out fine. The weather wasn't exactly enticing with 40 degrees and windy but I did some cursory investigating anyway.

I'll monitor things going forward and remember about the rear third brake light. I've had enough of them that were causing leaks you would think I'd remember to check them but I guess I can blame it on old age!