Mopar Denying Covered Repairs on Maximum Care Lifetime Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone that has an extended warranty can sign up for the Mopar Owner Dashboard website. And on your vehicle dashboard will be a copy of the service contract. I do not know if it gets automagically updated if they change the terms, but mine looks like the hard copy I got when I purchased my MaxCare Lifetime.

Just checked my contract and rear suspension seems to be an odd duck, its almost like they cover everything if it has leaf springs. But no 1500 has leafs, so.....

squadco343

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Such a good point. If it is worth it, file a small claims case/ Also, do you follow your responsibilities to a t? Oil changes and inspection? I had that lifetime warranty on my heep, seamed like a lot of holes in it. Not like bumper to bumper.
I hired Cremeens Law Group PLLC twice. No cost to you. It's works!

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I get it that wear items aren't usually part of a warranty but no one held a gun to FCAs head and made them specifically list that in the contract. My service writer actually told me of times he's replaced shocks under the warranty so I know it has been done in the past.

I'm no lawyer but basic contract law is you can't have part of the contract that is illegal. It's seems to me changing the terms AFTER it's signed is illegal. Otherwise, what is the point of the contract in the first place? Imagine a world where you could just put a clause in a contract that says, "I can change this anytime I want later." Kind of nullifies the whole point of a contract.

OP
OP
N

nickb1907

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get it that wear items aren't usually part of a warranty but no one held a gun to FCAs head and made them specifically list that in the contract. My service writer actually told me of times he's replaced shocks under the warranty so I know it has been done in the past.

I'm no lawyer but basic contract law is you can't have part of the contract that is illegal. It's seems to me changing the terms AFTER it's signed is illegal. Otherwise, what is the point of the contract in the first place? Imagine a world where you could just put a clause in a contract that says, "I can change this anytime I want later." Kind of nullifies the whole point of a contract.

That is exactly how a contract works. Both parties have agree and sign off on changes or amendments.

I think I’m going to lawyer up if they come back again with a denial. I had them reopen it and requested they point exactly where in the contract these items are not covered. Ideally my advisor writes all this in the ticket to start the lawsuit.

I don’t have time to go through small claims courts. A lawyer can tack their fee into the lawsuit that mopar will have to pay.

b-real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, what exactly are you wanting them to cover that they are currently denying? Shocks? I honestly don't see how front shocks could be causing this issue you are describing. How bad is the thud? That sounds more like an issue with driveshaft u-joints. Have you crawled under the truck to check things out yourself? If not, grab the driveline and try rotating it by hand to see if you can reproduce the thud.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Nothing to do with the coverage charts. Read the fine print under "Terms and Conditions". It says they can change the terms of the agreement at any time, they may or may not verify with you, and they may or may not update their website.

That is prior to purchase, as in the warranty listed on the website can be altered at any moment without notice. Once you purchase the contract, it can't be changed without agreement by both sides, absent a court interfering. If one party can change the contract at will, there's no contract.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That is prior to purchase, as in the warranty listed on the website can be altered at any moment without notice. Once you purchase the contract, it can't be changed without agreement by both sides, absent a court interfering. If one party can change the contract at will, there's no contract.
The OP posted a link to the documents they are using to argue the case. Unless the OP is in possession of a different document that says otherwise and shares it, my original post stands. Our responses can only be based on what is provided. Since the dealer has indicated a change in coverage is now in effect, it would stand to reason that MOPAR has a sufficient belief in the legality of their action to take it. I do wish the OP luck on this.

Last edited:

Biggb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 2500 with Lifetime Max Care and have hit resistance on covered repairs at 60,250 miles saying they have to get approval for anything over $250. I also had to prove I had transfer case serviced along with axles serviced even though my warranty work had nothing to do with these items . It’s funny how they change the rules after they have your cash . Fight them however you can !

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, here is the deal. Shocks would be covered if they were leaking - ie. a part failure. And even then it would just be the leaking one that would be covered.
Failing a bounce test is not a part failure, it is wear item that has worn out.

View it like tire contracts - they will cover a blow out but not wearing out.

Make sense?

Bushings are the same thing - if they fail completely (such as causing you to fail a safety inspection), they would be covered. But would not be covered for a noise or extra play ie. worn out.

OP
OP
N

nickb1907

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The OP posted a link to the documents they are using to argue the case. Unless the OP is in possession of a different document that says otherwise and shares it, my original post stands. Our responses can only be based on what is provided. Since the dealer has indicated a change in coverage is now in effect, it would stand to reason that MOPAR has a sufficient belief in the legality of their action to take it. I do wish the OP luck on this.

The PDF I attached is my contract. I edited my name an vin out of it to post here. Thanks for the support.

OP
OP
N

nickb1907

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 2500 with Lifetime Max Care and have hit resistance on covered repairs at 60,250 miles saying they have to get approval for anything over $250. I also had to prove I had transfer case serviced along with axles serviced even though my warranty work had nothing to do with these items . It’s funny how they change the rules after they have your cash . Fight them however you can !

For each R&P they put in they had to have an inspector brought in to approve the work. It makes a drawn out process of them having the truck even longer when we have to wait a week more for them to inspect and approve.

OP
OP
N

nickb1907

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Getting a lawyer over $200 worth of parts seems counterproductive to me.
I paid $140 for all 4 rear arms, and $60 will get you front shocks.

I do all the work myself except for what they are obligated to fix under my contract. Why would pay for the parts and do it myself when a dealer should do it for a $100 deductible. And for this type of claim lawyers can include their fees so Mopar refunds me and the lawyers time and hopefully more for me dealing with their BS.

OP
OP
N

nickb1907

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, here is the deal. Shocks would be covered if they were leaking - ie. a part failure. And even then it would just be the leaking one that would be covered.

Make sense?

Bushings are the same thing - if they fail completely (such as causing you to fail a safety inspection), they would be covered. But would not be covered for a noise or extra play ie. worn out.

So who does a safety inspection? I am in Texas. I could drive this with no doors and top and pass an inspection here.

You might have a point in how this is worded. They only cover part defects or installation errors. How do you distinguish a part that breaks after 140k miles vs defect in material?

COVERAGE UNDER THE PLAN: WHAT IS COVERED? The Plan will pay the total cost (parts and labor) less a deductible per visit, to correct any of the following mechanical failures, caused by a defect in materials or workmanship of a covered component and are not covered by the vehicle’s factory warranty. The only exceptions are those listed under “What is not covered by the Plan”.

My other problem is how these were presented and sold at dealerships. If only defects and installation errors are covered that is definitely not how it was sold or what this pamphlet (attached) says that I received when I bought the warranty. Funny it even says in this shocks are covered, of course without the details in the contract.

Attachments

• Maximum-Care-Brochure (1).pdf
    514.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel

Make sense?

Makes perfect sense. However, folks don't always comprehend an entire contract, just the parts they like. Exclusions are part of a contract.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The PDF I attached is my contract. I edited my name an vin out of it to post here. Thanks for the support.
If that was there before I could not see it, my phone is not picking up attachment files for some reason. I opened and read it. The one thing that sticks out to me is the the bolded (and why is that bolded, I ask) print of the third paragraph. It says that no dealer or others including Chrysler group LLC can make changes. However, the plan is underwritten by Chrysler group service contracts llc. This is a wholly owned subsidiary and the employees of that subsidiary are not considered employees of Chrysler group llc. I find it interesting that they clearly define their company's name and separate it from Chrysler group llc when it suits them. This statement in the contract could be saying that they can make changes, and there is nothing in the contract I see that says that no changes will ever be made, do there's that. The warranty says it is governed by Michigan State laws. You could reach out to an attorney in that state and ask if there are conditions where the contract can be modified without advance notice.

OP
OP
N

nickb1907

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If that was there before I could not see it, my phone is not picking up attachment files for some reason. I opened and read it. The one thing that sticks out to me is the the bolded (and why is that bolded, I ask) print of the third paragraph. It says that no dealer or others including Chrysler group LLC can make changes. However, the plan is underwritten by Chrysler group service contracts llc. This is a wholly owned subsidiary and the employees of that subsidiary are not considered employees of Chrysler group llc. I find it interesting that they clearly define their company's name and separate it from Chrysler group llc when it suits them. This statement in the contract could be saying that they can make changes, and there is nothing in the contract I see that says that no changes will ever be made, do there's that. The warranty says it is governed by Michigan State laws. You could reach out to an attorney in that state and ask if there are conditions where the contract can be modified without advance notice.

If I can't win based on the contact I think I will win on deceptive advertising. This is from the dealership I bought it from. All the online places to buy this warranty say basically the same "Everything is covered!". The dealership never gave me the warranty contract to review. All I got was a pamphlet.

https://www.northwestdodgehouston.com/cdjr-information/dodge-warranty/

Dodge Extended Warranty
The available Dodge Extended Warranty might also be called the Dodge Lifetime Warranty or the Mopar® Warranty. It’s used to extend coverage when your standard warranty expires. It will cover 5,000 components of your Dodge vehicle for as long as you have it. Whether you’re driving in Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, or anywhere in between, here are just a few of the components that are covered:

• Engine
  • Transmission
  • Driveline
  • Steering
  • Anti-lock brakes
You’ll also enjoy trip interruption coverage, key fob repairs and replacements, roadside assistance, towing, and rental car allowance.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I hear you, not sure what to say. Legal documents written by an entity are to protect the interests of that entity. The facts are you have a warranty that appears to clearly cover some or all of your issues and the dealer seemed to concur with this, your claim was denied. Of interest, to me at least, is your contract has a vagueness about why it differentiates between Chrysler Group LLC versus Chrysler Service Contract LLC and does not preclude the latter from making changes as it does the former. I also think your costs to do argue this will exceed your coats for the repair. But, get a statement of why the repairs are denied and reach out to the main customer service. Perhaps they can intercede on your behalf.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
If I understand this new line of reasoning, you bought a new 2014 vehicle from that dealership in 2014 and plan to use the website from 2021 to prove deceptive advertising occurred in 2014? If so, good luck with that.