Mopar Denying Covered Repairs on Maximum Care Lifetime Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the lifetime warranty for my 2012 Ram 1500.....After reading through the OP attached warranty contract I saw the part about keeping your address on file. I moved from the address I know they have on file about 5yrs ago. I went to the website to update it, but I kept getting (5x!) a message saying no contract could be found for that vin.
So I called them to see what’s going on and to just update my address over the phone. The agent said my warranty was CANCELED due to the warranty being transferred and the new owner not contacting Ram or something weird like that. WTF!?!? Without even asking a question, she told me she was going to submit this as some sort of clerical error since she can see that I am the original purchaser of the warranty.
So I have a case number, and I should give them about 14 business days to call back and get a update.

I highly recommend people going to the website and entering their vin# to make sure their warranty is still active!

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2014 2500 with Lifetime Max Care and have hit resistance on covered repairs at 60,250 miles saying they have to get approval for anything over $250. I also had to prove I had transfer case serviced along with axles serviced even though my warranty work had nothing to do with these items . It’s funny how they change the rules after they have your cash . Fight them however you can !

The whole service thing is something I'm well aware of and ready to defend. I'm maintaining my truck EXACTLY to the letter of the manual. The xfer case and differentials are a great example. There is no recommendation to change diff fluid (unless I'm a taxi or ambulance). Changing xfer case fluid is at 120K which I'm coming up on and will have the dealer do. I've had every oil change and all maintenance/repairs done at the dealer. I'll have ZERO problem fighting them legally or whatever if they try to deny me. So far I've been fine. I just had an evaporator canister/system leak fixed under extended warranty with no questions at all.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this or has any advice. I felt like I wouldn't have to play this game with a factory offered warranty. If this website has a ram/mopar representative can you let me know there name so I can message them as well?

Background:
I bought a 2014 Ram 1500 and paid for the Mopar lifetime warranty. My plan was to keep the truck forever and pay $100 deductible whenever I need repairs done. The truck is currently at about 140,000 miles.

Issue:
Ram goes into the dealer for getting a thud taking off from a stop. Seems to come from the driveline. I have brought the truck in for the thud on 2 times previously. They had the ring and pinion replaced at each visit. Currently the truck is in the shop for it again (3rd visit) and now I am running into warranty denial.

Dealer Diagnosis:
Replace driveshaft - Covered
Replace rear upper and lower control arms (bushing shot) - Denied as wear item
Replace front shocks (failed bounce test) - Denied as wear item
Service advisor tells me over the phone that at a certain mileage the company is starting to reclassify covered items as wear and denying them.

Warranty:
Attached
Here is a website that also lists items covered.
https://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/maximum_care.cfm
Suspension shows to be fully covered. No mention of warranty changes based on mileage.

Go to a different dealer! You don't have that dealer on your side. The right dealer make all the difference. I have to same warranty and at 85,000 mile I've had two issues and the dealer stood by me all the way.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So who does a safety inspection? I am in Texas. I could drive this with no doors and top and pass an inspection here.

You might have a point in how this is worded. They only cover part defects or installation errors. How do you distinguish a part that breaks after 140k miles vs defect in material?

COVERAGE UNDER THE PLAN: WHAT IS COVERED? The Plan will pay the total cost (parts and labor) less a deductible per visit, to correct any of the following mechanical failures, caused by a defect in materials or workmanship of a covered component and are not covered by the vehicle’s factory warranty. The only exceptions are those listed under “What is not covered by the Plan”.

My other problem is how these were presented and sold at dealerships. If only defects and installation errors are covered that is definitely not how it was sold or what this pamphlet (attached) says that I received when I bought the warranty. Funny it even says in this shocks are covered, of course without the details in the contract.

Here in PA, we have an annual safety inspection.

That's just it, wearing out isn't a defect. It is just past it's designed life.
However for ex., a leaking shock is a defect as the seal has failed.

It would be nice if the people selling them would be a bit clearer, though to be honest, they just want the money.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ok, here is the deal. Shocks would be covered if they were leaking - ie. a part failure. And even then it would just be the leaking one that would be covered.
Failing a bounce test is not a part failure, it is wear item that has worn out.

View it like tire contracts - they will cover a blow out but not wearing out.

Make sense?

Bushings are the same thing - if they fail completely (such as causing you to fail a safety inspection), they would be covered. But would not be covered for a noise or extra play ie. worn out.
We had the added care lifetime on my wifes '07 Pacifica. Took it in for a steering clunk. They said it had a bad tierod, stabilizer bushings and both struts were bad. The only thing covered w by the warranty was the tierod. I checked my added care policy and the struts were covered so I called the dealer and mentioned that and he looked again then agreed. I told him to wait on the stabilizer bushings and do the rest. It was also in for CEL on which they said needed a new intake manifold. So I got the tierod, struts, an alignment, and the intake manifold for $100 (deductible). Maybe it's a crapshoot what they'll cover or try to reject based on the dealer.
The struts weren't leaking so I was surprised they said we needed them. I think they threw them in thinking I would have to pay for them and when I called their bluff they were stuck doing them on their dime (warranty).

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I have to be honest, hearing all of these difficulties of extended warranties makes me want to continue my practice of not getting one. I was close to with my 2020 Cherokee, 8yr/60k but then sold it.

Just crazy hearing how difficult of a time the OP is having, when the words are clear the components should be covered. This warranty contract is a contract of adhesion, take it or leave it, so any ambiguities should go in favor of the customer.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Except it isn't a warranty, it is a service contract and they are distinctly different.

Also, it isn't a policy to keep a vehicle in like new condition for the term of the policy. It is a policy to protect against defective covered components - not a worn out component. There is a distinct difference between those two things.

I have the Lifetime Maxcare and wish it was a policy to keep it like new for a lifetime :)

Even a warranty is full of exclusions.
Take for example a K&N warranty.
WHAT DOES THIS WARRANTY COVER?
This warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship of your K&N OE Replacement Air Filter and Intake System (the “Product”), with the exceptions stated below.

WHAT DOES THIS WARRANTY NOT COVER?
This warranty does not cover damage due to (a) transportation, (b) storage, (c) improper use, (d) failure to follow the Product instructions or to perform any preventive maintenance, (e) modifications, (f) unauthorized repair, (g) normal wear and tear, (h) any type of racing or competition, (i) any off-road use, or (j) external causes such as accidents, abuse, or other actions or events beyond our reasonable control (e.g., acts of God and natural disasters).

HOW LONG DOES THE COVERAGE LAST?
This warranty lasts for 10-Years or a Million Miles, whichever comes first, from the date the product was purchased. The warranty period will not be extended if we repair or replace the Product.

Lol so what does it cover - well basically if the filter falls apart due to poor workmanship.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
The OP posted a link to the documents they are using to argue the case. Unless the OP is in possession of a different document that says otherwise and shares it, my original post stands. Our responses can only be based on what is provided. Since the dealer has indicated a change in coverage is now in effect, it would stand to reason that MOPAR has a sufficient belief in the legality of their action to take it. I do wish the OP luck on this.

No, they are simply interpreting the contract in a different manner than the customer is. The contract can't be changed after purchase or it's not a contract. Of course you should maintain a copy yourself, but you can be sure the corporation keeps archives and a subpoena would get a copy of the contract as current at the time the OP purchased it.

Contract law isn't my strong suit, but this is pretty basic. The warning on the website just means "this may not be the contract you actually buy if we happen to change it between now and when you purchase it." It does not mean the contract you buy can be changed *****-nilly by one party. As mentioned, that would mean it's not a contract.

Tdjma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go to a different dealer had cams replaced with lifters at 160000 miles said do a trans service says it's sealed and you have 999999 mile warrenty we will replace it when you need a new one

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
yeah I think they spend more time trying to get out of paying a claim rather than covering our stuff.

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have a receipt from them saying the shocks were replaced under warranty already I would think they'd have to honor further replacements as well...shove that receipt in the service managers face get rough with em. That's the only language they understand

sleboom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Extended warranties are one of the biggest scams going. Very rarely are the worth it. Car companies will try to screw you out of repairing your vehicle every chance they can. Screw the dealerships when it comes to repairs. Find a competent, reliable independent repair shop and give them your business. The last sentence is the hard part.

Retired Navy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Page 6, second bullet under what is not covered.

"Repairs required as a result of other than a manufacturing defect (such as a design defect or normal wear);"
thw
I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this or has any advice. I felt like I wouldn't have to play this game with a factory offered warranty. If this website has a ram/mopar representative can you let me know there name so I can message them as well?

Background:
I bought a 2014 Ram 1500 and paid for the Mopar lifetime warranty. My plan was to keep the truck forever and pay $100 deductible whenever I need repairs done. The truck is currently at about 140,000 miles.

Issue:
Ram goes into the dealer for getting a thud taking off from a stop. Seems to come from the driveline. I have brought the truck in for the thud on 2 times previously. They had the ring and pinion replaced at each visit. Currently the truck is in the shop for it again (3rd visit) and now I am running into warranty denial.

Dealer Diagnosis:
Replace driveshaft - Covered
Replace rear upper and lower control arms (bushing shot) - Denied as wear item
Replace front shocks (failed bounce test) - Denied as wear item
Service advisor tells me over the phone that at a certain mileage the company is starting to reclassify covered items as wear and denying them.

Warranty:
Attached
Here is a website that also lists items covered.
https://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/maximum_care.cfm
Suspension shows to be fully covered. No mention of warranty changes based on mileage.

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2 cents, plain reading of your contract is what is covered. Chrysler cannot arbitrarily begin to classify contracted things as normal wear, then deny them. Is it the dealership denying service or FMIC? Whoever, I would make one attempt at plain reading of the contract and demand service. Your next stop should be an attorney who will cost THEM more than fixing any repair.

DaveSharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2 cents, plain reading of your contract is what is covered. Chrysler cannot arbitrarily begin to classify contracted things as normal wear, then deny them. Is it the dealership denying service or FMIC? Whoever, I would make one attempt at plain reading of the contract and demand service. Your next stop should be an attorney who will cost THEM more than fixing any repair.

Especially since they replaced items under warranty they are now denying. That don't fly.

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Sorry you're having an issue with the warranty statement, but that happens many times when people purchase a vehicle or an extended warranty or service plan. The factory warranty covers "failures as a result of defects in materials or workmanship". Unfortunately worn suspension bushings are not defects, they are normal wear just like the exclusion states.

rneal55555

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can almost bet in their mounds engineering documents they have a design service life for almost every component in the truck and once it's met of exceeded it's normal wear and tear. I suspect shocks are somewhere shy of 140,000 miles.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
We had the added care lifetime on my wifes '07 Pacifica. Took it in for a steering clunk. They said it had a bad tierod, stabilizer bushings and both struts were bad. The only thing covered w by the warranty was the tierod. I checked my added care policy and the struts were covered so I called the dealer and mentioned that and he looked again then agreed. I told him to wait on the stabilizer bushings and do the rest. It was also in for CEL on which they said needed a new intake manifold. So I got the tierod, struts, an alignment, and the intake manifold for $100 (deductible). Maybe it's a crapshoot what they'll cover or try to reject based on the dealer.
The struts weren't leaking so I was surprised they said we needed them. I think they threw them in thinking I would have to pay for them and when I called their bluff they were stuck doing them on their dime (warranty).

Just feel good its not a mileage warranty from them. They use running hours not speedo miles

MudSkipper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I worked for a auto warranty company in tech... its pretty brutal... the dealer pays like 700-1000$ for those and they can literally see their cost (it comes up like a shopping list)...

We give them a list depending on the cars reliability rating and cost to repair... they then sucker you in with 2500$ And its a big chunk of profit... some of these guys bundle up the insurance and resell... all kinds of craziness.

They have lifetime ones and you have to be 100% on the "requirements" in the fine print. Read em completely before you buy, yes your dealer can hose you. I tend toward the factory ones and Chrysler took a beating on this lifetime deal, they are getting hammered and trying to get the cars out as much as possible.