MOPAR OEM CHMSL (Third Brake Light) Cargo Cam for All Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Update got the jumper harness I mentioned earlier in this post, I completed my harness using a body harness I had leftover from when I installed the tailgate cam kit, I found out by accident after I purchased the full kit that my truck was prewired for it even though it came with the 3.0 radio and I only needed the cam, handle and jumper from the kit. I am happy to report that I was able to plug the harness into the RCA plugs on the lock pick. All works as it should, going on Vacation will do permanent install after holidays. And the bonus is I bought a used oem tailgate cam for testing purposes on ebay for 35.00, works great, like new. I am thinking of using this for the front cam, and also adding the turn signal activated cams that attach to the side mirrors. Funny part is mine looks almost exactly like jeepguys did, albeit shorter (reg cab vrs crew cab) and I removed the OEM pins in favor of RCA plug.

biwanow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dually Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Cummins 6.7
This exactly all the information I needed all along. Thanks man!

biwanow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
How isn't anyone getting a 'brake light out message' on the evic?

Ltngdrvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
First post here, this thread caught my eye as I would also like to add the cargo cam to my 2500 that will be coming in soon.

What about trucks that have the 5.0 radio and the oem backup cam like mine will, adding the CHMSL with the cargo cam, and then splicing into the backup cam wiring and running a multi position switch to switch from one cam to the other?

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Last edited:

biwanow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I bet they were watching these forums on how to make these harnesses and are now making profit off of this XD

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Did you ever get that brake light out message issue fixed? If so how, I did not get it but perhaps others did? Is it possible your CHMSL is defective or ha a bad light in it?

Last edited:

Ltngdrvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Well they finally listed the harness and pics on the customtronix website. It can be yours for on 65.00 euro plus shipping and vat?

View attachment 42665

View attachment 42666

View attachment 42668

OEM cam harness to RCA video 12V All 2013 – up Chrysler cars | Customtronix

They are also selling the oem CHMSL for 290.00 euro not that would be nuts, when you can buy them from online retailers south of 200.00 US.

Factory /OEM, lamp/Cam cabinet All 2013 – up Chrysler cars | Customtronix

Was 75 euro when I looked just a short while ago.

biwanow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Did you ever get that brake light out message issue fixed? If so how, I did not get it but perhaps others did? Is it possible your CHMSL is defective or ha a bad light in it?

It looks fine and all the lights work normal, but maybe I have burnt out led's in the chmsl? When I switch the chmsl back to stock, the message goes away when pushing on the brakes, but reappears with LED's.

Ltngdrvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The LED lights don't pull as much amps as regular bulbs do, probably what is triggering the EVIC message.

biwanow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The LED lights don't pull as much amps as regular bulbs do, probably what is triggering the EVIC message.

But how come others aren't getting this message?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
But how come others aren't getting this message?
Maybe the others have the factory HID/Led option vs standard bulbs?
I have impression that switching from standard to led bulbs can through up CIL errors (as mentioned) but there appear to be workarounds for it. Hopefully someone will confirm.

Sent from my "Up All Night Sleep All Day" Nexus 5!

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I have a 3500 ST (tradesman) regular cab dually with the standard incandescent light package, no hid or led s. So far I added the led overhead console, and the led CHMSL with cam. I do not get the evic message or the fast flash error. All works fine, the only difference I noticed is with the overhead console, the incandescent one would be dimmer when unlocking door with fob, then would brighten when door was opened, it also would fade out when it timed out or the truck was started. The LED one only has one brightness and does not fade out. But the CHMSL works perfectly.

Last edited:

biwanow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Maybe the others have the factory HID/Led option vs standard bulbs?
I have impression that switching from standard to led bulbs can through up CIL errors (as mentioned) but there appear to be workarounds for it. Hopefully someone will confirm.

Sent from my "Up All Night Sleep All Day" Nexus 5!

All the lights on my 2013 truck were all LED/HID from factory, except for the chmsl. I think shaftman already predicted I would get a brake light out message earlier in this post. How did he know?

shaftman_05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2013 and up are more finicky than older models. The are "smarter". I had one as well in my 2014. I used a work around I can access...

shaftman_05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
May have something to do with being a 3500. Those came with the option from the factory as to where the 1500 never did.