More Audio Help - Amp Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it was me....

first get rid of that dual head unit. you are sending your amps dirty sound. For a few hundred dollars you can get a nice pioneer/kenwood head unit.

Are you only planning on amping your current speakers what about the rears?

For your current setup that JBL amp would actually work really well. 2 channels to the dash, 2 to the doors, and the subs.

If you really wanted to get better sound i would recommend a set of components in the front tweeters in the dash and mids in the doors. bi-amp with that amp if it can, and run a sub or two.

I agree on replacing the Dual unit, that has been on my list. All four doors have the pioneer 3 way 6x9's in them and are amped with the 4 channel, subs are amped with a mono and tweeters in the dash are just hooked to the headunit for now. I may want to amp those tweeters when I rewire everything.

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I went ahead and grabbed the pioneer head unit. Was looking at the 601 and realized the 7" screen vs. the 6.2"' screen was not a big deal for my needs and I didn't need any of the media options other than bluetooth, so I went with the 201ex.

I decided I am going to stick with having 2 separate amps. I have been considering running my tweeters in parallel with the front door speakers since I have always had a 4 channel. Back to the recommended 5 channel JBL, would it work to use the 5th channel to power those tweeters?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So I went ahead and grabbed the pioneer head unit. Was looking at the 601 and realized the 7" screen vs. the 6.2"' screen was not a big deal for my needs and I didn't need any of the media options other than bluetooth, so I went with the 201ex.

I decided I am going to stick with having 2 separate amps. I have been considering running my tweeters in parallel with the front door speakers since I have always had a 4 channel. Back to the recommended 5 channel JBL, would it work to use the 5th channel to power those tweeters?
Are you joking on the tweeters? Way too much power, crossover on the 5th would likely only be a low pass and you don't want them running mono. Could run 4 channels to doors and tweeters and head unit power to back doors.

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you joking on the tweeters? Way too much power, crossover on the 5th would likely only be a low pass and you don't want them running mono. Could run 4 channels to doors and tweeters and head unit power to back doors.

Got it, told you I was illiterate when it comes to power! It sounded shady to me but I had to ask. I always noticed when the 4 doors were hooked to the 4 channel, the rears seemed like they sounded louder, but settings were no different from front to back on the amp. It was kind of annoying. So I guess this option you proposed would give me the ability to control rear vs. front via the headunit, which I could not do before.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
I had grabbed the 201ex lol. Then I took it back for 7 inch 601ex. The clarity on dvd for me was better in the 7 inch. But then I realized mirroring my phone for navigation meant the phone had to be on also. So I took it back for the 2330ex with CarPlay. So happy I did.

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Got it, told you I was illiterate when it comes to power! It sounded shady to me but I had to ask. I always noticed when the 4 doors were hooked to the 4 channel, the rears seemed like they sounded louder, but settings were no different from front to back on the amp. It was kind of annoying. So I guess this option you proposed would give me the ability to control rear vs. front via the headunit, which I could not do before.
you'd have to run y cables at the amp so the front rcas fed all 4 channels and the sub output to the sub so if your HU has bass control it'll work. Front should be louder than the rear to get staging correct and this would help a lot. Biggest thing is setting the XO point for the tweeters high enough so you don't blow them if they're just tweeters. Should be over 3K.

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had grabbed the 201ex lol. Then I took it back for 7 inch 601ex. The clarity on dvd for me was better in the 7 inch. But then I realized mirroring my phone for navigation meant it had to be in also. So I took it back for the 2339nex with CarPlay. So happy I did.

I saw that in your build thread! I'm kinda glad I didn't need all that extra media or better resolution for dvd since I don't watch them. Talking to the guy about all the features on the different units and I realized they sure do charge a lot more to get all that.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
I saw that in your build thread! I'm kinda glad I didn't need all that extra media or better resolution for dvd since I don't watch them. Talking to the guy about all the features on the different units and I realized they sure do charge a lot more to get all that.

yea man i was thinking just like you when i grabbed the entry level one... but quickly realized if your going to spend, might as well spend a lil more for the bigger screen, capabilities and faster touch screen response.. carplay alone made the $200 extra worth it.. i also wanted maestro and front camera capabilities... so it was a no brainer for me.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would reccomend getting the better head unit. The 201EX is not very quick or responsive. The 601 is a big upgrade in terms of responsiveness. It's like having an old PC vs. a brand new one.

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn, that guy didn't tell me anything about responsiveness. Everything else I don't need. I just play cd's and use bluetooth for phone calls. Nav is on my phone if I need it. I am.going to have to look up the response on it on you tube before I install to see if it needs to go back.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
they run different o/s' .. which makes for a whole lot better and smoother experience. i havent checked on the processor power though. search both radios front screen.. you will see the simplicity of the 201 vs the 601 Operating systems..

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
they run different o/s' .. which makes for a whole lot better and smoother experience. i havent checked on the processor power though. search both radios front screen.. you will see the simplicity of the 201 vs the 601 Operating systems..

I don't want to wait 30 seconds or something to switch a song or for any other button to proceed to the next step. I'll see what I can find out.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
I don't want to wait 30 seconds or something to switch a song or for any other button to proceed to the next step. I'll see what I can find out.

Not 30 secs Lol. I’m talking about like navigating the menu. Your finger will be pressing the button and the radio will respond a few secs later. You should be good though. Seems like you are not bothered by minimal features and a touch of lag if it means saving some doe. I understand that lol

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah some people are fine with it. However if you play with a better unit then go to a slow one... you will hate the slow one lol.

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. Yes, the Dual has a lag only when switching screens. I always have it on cd, don't listen to the radio, use nav, etc and when it flips to bluetooth it is automatically triggered to change screens. I really have no other needs. I am sure I am going to get better sound out of this compared to that Dual, so that should be a plus.

If it comes down to not liking it later, I'll upgrade and toss this one in the Honda. Lol...

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
Thanks guys. Yes, the Dual has a lag only when switching screens. I always have it on cd, don't listen to the radio, use nav, etc and when it flips to bluetooth it is automatically triggered to change screens. I really have no other needs. I am sure I am going to get better sound out of this compared to that Dual, so that should be a plus.

If it comes down to not liking it later, I'll upgrade and toss this one in the Honda. Lol...

is that where the dual is headed ? lol

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
is that where the dual is headed ? lol

Haha, hell no, I have to drive the Honda 4 days a week. I don't even think I am going to sell it. Chances are it will end up in the trash can, especially if I don't find a compromise in any of my lines, I'm blaming blown amps on that unit.

Or maybe I'll get the baseball bat out and go "Office Space" on it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca