more diablosport problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
so finely got the truck running good with the unlocked-pcm. i loaded the 87 tune and before i could back out the drive way. check engine light came on. pulled codes and got p0171 and p0174 system lean. now it has to be the tune it was fine before i loaded it. i see in the options menu i can add fuel should i do this or wait and see what diablo has to say?
thanks

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's very possible it didn't load correctly. As well have you updated the tuner itself? I personally would reload the tune. Update the tuner reload again. If those don't work I would get with Diablo sport and they can see a lot more than what we can. I want to say custom tune but that's some extra money lol

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
use the tuner to return to the stock tune. It is important to return to stock tune 1st! Then see if you can update the firmware from diablo's website. Then I would hook up a battery charger to your battery and load the tune again. If the battery voltage got a little low during the tune loading it could corrupt the file during the tune load process.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got a Diabo for my wife's car a few years ago and have not been impressed by using it or its results or the customer support, well it cured me of wanting to tune anything else :D

OP
OP
ripping r

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I got a Diabo for my wife's car a few years ago and have not been impressed by using it or its results or the customer support, well it cured me of wanting to tune anything else :D
this is where im at.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I'm on the opposite side. The tuner has become such a useful tool for every hardware change I make. I'm in the tech industry I know you can do everything right and the flash can still go wrong. Troubleshooting will make the difference and do what nick said. :favorites37:

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm on the opposite side. The tuner has become such a useful tool for every hardware change I make. I'm in the tech industry I know you can do everything right and the flash can still go wrong. Troubleshooting will make the difference and do what nick said. :favorites37:

My career wouldn't exist if machines always worked :deal: but the Diablosport programmer for my wife's Mustang has (at least) three things that bothered me... first is the canned tunes are pretty much un-usable. That's vehicle specific I know but if they got one car so wrong I'm not going to feel good about what they're doing for other cars.

Second problem is in the user interface some of the items are ambiguous... and well it's been long enough since I dinked around with it that I have to be a little ambiguous too because I don't recall the specifics but it's stuff like a + or - scale for adding fuel enrichment that doesn't clearly indicate which direction is "more" (all the way to the left is more? all the way to the right is more? who knows?) and there's nowhere to find information about that in particular. I'm pretty decent at googling stuff.. couldn't find a conclusive answer anywhere. I think there were at least 3 or 4 places in the custom tune pages of the device where either it was impossible to tell which way to adjust for the outcome I wanted (more or less?) or impossible to tell how much effect each detent on the scale would provide.

That gets to the third strike. I tried to get answers to these questions on the diablosport forum, on Mustang forums, from customer service directly... got nowhere on any of those fronts.

It was easy enough to un-marry the device from my wife's car.. we might be swapping gears in it this spring so I guess I can use it to update the ratio in the PCM without "tuning" .. that much it seems capable of. Pretty expensive speedo correcting device but I already have it so that's water under the bridge.

Anyway I don't want to have that kind of experience on my truck or on anything else so Diablo's not getting my business, in fact I'm just not interested in experimenting with anybody's tuner now thanks to that experience.

Edit:
I wanted to add something in, just for detail on the canned tunes for my wife's Mustang and why I think they're unusable. They are much too aggressive on shift firmness and throttle response and I think they did that on purpose so even the most lowest common denominator customer would feel like it "worked" - because if they did subtle changes the average customer might be upset that (as far as they can tell) it didn't do anything. I would imagine if I sought out a custom tune file from a 3rd party tuning franchisee I could tell them to remap the fuel and ignition a little to account for the headers & high octane fuel, maybe a few little subtle bumps on shift RPM and throttle mapping but not as cartoonish as the canned tunes. But that's just throwing more money after something that already didn't work as I hoped and if it still isn't what I wanted I'm back at square one with several hundred fewer dollars.

Aside from that if any of the other things I mentioned above were handled better (clear and concise labeling in the app, a more thorough user manual online with every page clearly and completely explained, customer service who is given enough time by management to answer customer inquiries... anything) I'd feel better about it.

Anyway sorry if that sounds like venting I'm not actually typing it upset it's all meant to be informative for anyone following this thread and wondering why someone might choose not to tune their vehicle. After messing with a different vehicle and being dissatisfied I decided I'm perfectly happy with the power my stock Hemi makes, it's never been insufficient.

Last edited:

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
My career wouldn't exist if machines always worked :deal: but the Diablosport programmer for my wife's Mustang has (at least) three things that bothered me... first is the canned tunes are pretty much un-usable. That's vehicle specific I know but if they got one car so wrong I'm not going to feel good about what they're doing for other cars.

Second problem is in the user interface some of the items are ambiguous... and well it's been long enough since I dinked around with it that I have to be a little ambiguous too because I don't recall the specifics but it's stuff like a + or - scale for adding fuel enrichment that doesn't clearly indicate which direction is "more" (all the way to the left is more? all the way to the right is more? who knows?) and there's nowhere to find information about that in particular. I'm pretty decent at googling stuff.. couldn't find a conclusive answer anywhere. I think there were at least 3 or 4 places in the custom tune pages of the device where either it was impossible to tell which way to adjust for the outcome I wanted (more or less?) or impossible to tell how much effect each detent on the scale would provide.

That gets to the third strike. I tried to get answers to these questions on the diablosport forum, on Mustang forums, from customer service directly... got nowhere on any of those fronts.

It was easy enough to un-marry the device from my wife's car.. we might be swapping gears in it this spring so I guess I can use it to update the ratio in the PCM without "tuning" .. that much it seems capable of. Pretty expensive speedo correcting device but I already have it so that's water under the bridge.

Anyway I don't want to have that kind of experience on my truck or on anything else so Diablo's not getting my business, in fact I'm just not interested in experimenting with anybody's tuner now thanks to that experience.

My mistake @kurek if my comment caused offense. I agree with you on those points. Had some quote fail :banghead:.

But with the said it still wouldn't stop me from using a tuner. I understand they are not for everyone especially with bad experiences.

I think all of us putting our experiences out there let's the reader make the educated choice. :cheers:

OP
OP
ripping r

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
well so much for a custom tune. was emailing hemifever and he says he cant fix it either. Ill do what nick said today and if it does not work its back to stock. turning off mds is not worth all this crap!

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I've had zero problems with the Superchips F5 Flashpaq tuner on my 2010.
Don't know if it's because no messing with the PCM (just plugs into OBD port) or my 2010 is less finicky with electronics.
Either way I'm glad I went that route, no complaints.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I've had zero problems with the Superchips F5 Flashpaq tuner on my 2010.
Don't know if it's because no messing with the PCM (just plugs into OBD port) or my 2010 is less finicky with electronics.
Either way I'm glad I went that route, no complaints.

I've used an SCT tuner, Diablo T1000, and Diablo i3. The only device that has given me problems was the the OBDLink Mx. The firmware went corrupt or I didn't think to check firmware when not using the device consistently. It took me 3 weeks of following the instructions their IT gave me to get the firmware update. It literally failed for 3 weeks each time I tried. Figured I had nothing to lose by attempting repeatedly and taking a break when I got frustrated :angels25:

There is a good rule of thumb.

If you're going to do anything that has to do the OBD port always check device firmware first. Especially if you use the device once every 6 months to a year or if the device is brand new.

OP
OP
ripping r

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
i here the good and the bad. like i am experiencing. what really **** me off is my truck ran so good stock. and after the pcm swap even with out the tune does not run the same. no where near as strong. i really kick my self for not keeping my stock pcm.

OP
OP
ripping r

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I tried nicks idea. no check engine light. but it idles so rough. so i load stock tune with mds off and bumped the idle 50rpm. idles good did not drive it but hopefully its good. so if you just want to turn off mds. use the gear select and save your self the trouble i have. if you have 6.4. i guess the 5.7 is worked out.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I tried nicks idea. no check engine light. but it idles so rough. so i load stock tune with mds off and bumped the idle 50rpm. idles good did not drive it but hopefully its good. so if you just want to turn off mds. use the gear select and save your self the trouble i have. if you have 6.4. i guess the 5.7 is worked out.

The truck will learn your driving style again. Give it some time

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
i here the good and the bad. like i am experiencing. what really **** me off is my truck ran so good stock. and after the pcm swap even with out the tune does not run the same. no where near as strong. i really kick my self for not keeping my stock pcm.
Did you update device after you loaded stock tune back......maybe load canned tune back & load stock tune again
Hate to say but if all else fails as far as how it runs you can have dealership reflash stock.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Make sure the PCM is fully plugged in and that nothing is loose. I have seen customers with somewhat similar problems and then they found the a plug not fully seated.

it may just need to do a learn cycle and it should run better. If not I would return to stock and see if it runs ok then. If it runs good on stock tune but not on customer tune i would talk to your tuner. If it runs rough on stock tune I would talk to diablo about the PCM possibly being bad.