Most beautiful Borla muffler swap 2.0-added resonator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Hello all, not sure if you remember the first install of the Borla 19” pro XS with dual 2.25” outlets swapped/bolted into the stock mufflers place. Truck has 5k miles on it since the install probably or more and it sounds good but I have noticed slight resonance/drone at certain rpms in some gears, think extra throttle/load without the trans downshifting and being in higher load between 1500-2000 but not in every gear and even then it’s very slight. But of course I’m super sensitive to drone/resonance so I had to do something about it. I’ve been looking at ways to only reduce the drone and maybe take a bit of the bark out of it on a cold start so I’ve been looking at resonators that are of good quality. I almost jumped on one of the best which is the vibrant 1142 but I kept looking for options. I came across ZZPerformance which I’ve used there products before and are good quality and they offer a short ultra quiet resonator that is a 3 chamber design specific for resonance/drone for the turbo/supercharged cobalt SS world when they upgrade the exhausts. Going with either the ZZP or VIBRANT should net good results either way. Both are priced around the same vibrant is $90ish + shipping ish depending on vendor. The ZZP is only available from them and cost me about $86 shipped via 2 day air from them which was the cheapest option.

ZZP resonator is 16” overall, 10” x5.5” round case and has 3” ID inlet and outlets and it’s made from 304SS and it’s heavy and very solid. It’s a 3 chamber with a perforated straight through core, inside is a empty chamber and then into another perforated core. Inside is stainless wool and fiberglass packing.

I got it because it needed to be 16” Or less length to fit into the slip pipe in front of my Borla that way it’s like a bolt in 2 muffler section without modifying the stock exhaust. In order to fit all I did was cut the outlet off and weld in a 3” x 3” OD section of pipe into the end to slip into the Borla muffler. Then knotched the resonator inlet to slip and clamp over the stock 3” pipe. 2 SS band clamps (reusing 1 and I have used ones). I painted the outlet I welded on of the resonator as it’s 409SS and wanted to keep it from rusting quickly, used some 500* engine paint.

She slipped right on/in and bolted it all up within about an hour. I was able to only cold start it and it removed a lot of the cold start rasp that the Borla has and slightly reduced the tone at idle. I’m about to take it out for a drive with the kid for errands and will provide feedback on how it’s effected the resonance.

here are some pics of the install. I will update with some sound clips or better pics when I get the chance.

7CA002FA-C9F0-40F6-8BED-B813E827D05A.jpeg

E2CF73E4-6A79-47D0-B481-76690E0AC2C6.jpeg

0CBF8FC3-F4AD-462F-B58A-9736464BBBBE.jpeg

C9C249B2-1168-47A5-B508-543AAD86247D.jpeg

A22168D6-AB6A-4D24-9984-94A0DBEE8389.jpeg

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Saved for updates

Got to drive the truck today and man did this resonator make a big difference! Drone is essentially gone, resonance is almost non existent and it’s reduced the overall loudness a bit, nice deep tone. Cold starts are no longer overly aggressive.

Last edited:

Brandam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Saved for updates

Got to drive the truck today and man did this resonator make a big difference! Drone is essentially gone, resonance is almost non existent and it’s reduced the overall loudness a bit, nice deep tone. Cold starts are no longer overly aggressive.
So I know this is an older thread but I was wondering how this is holding up some months later. I have the same borla muffler and the drone has started to get to my ears. I love the borla but the drone man does it hurt after driving for 6 hours a day for work.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Held up great. Drone is still gone and sounds just like it has since installed. I haven’t messed with it at all and the tone hasn’t really changed at all I think.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
So I know this is an older thread but I was wondering how this is holding up some months later. I have the same borla muffler and the drone has started to get to my ears. I love the borla but the drone man does it hurt after driving for 6 hours a day for work.
yes good to hear the long term feedback. Most feedback you see online is "yup installed it works great" but what about 6mo or 1yr later? that's the best feedback.

Brandam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Held up great. Drone is still gone and sounds just like it has since installed. I haven’t messed with it at all and the tone hasn’t really changed at all I think.
Awsome glad to hear that, looks like I know what I’m buying today haha.