mpg of 5.7 with 8 speed 3:92 vs 3:55

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirborneSilva

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so question,

would it be correct to assume that a 3.92 gear would help mileage for city driving as apposed to the 3.55? (lots of stop signs, stop lights, and horse crap like that here in the bay area, california)

That would all depend on how light your right foot is...

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
LOL

Point taken. :D

Damn these lead shoes, I need some Nike running shoes instead. :)

electricme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Probablly you biggest difference is going to be on the highway... I get 16 on average in town/ drive to work and I get between 19 and 21 on the highway doing 70-75... Ohhh I have the 6 speed with 3.55

When towing my mielage drops to avg 11 mpg on flat and about 8 on hilly

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Did you know that the EPA sets the MPG's not the manufacturer? if you have anyone to be upset with be upset with your government (well unless you're Canadian then you can just hate the US government for something else - wait that works for US citizens too)...

To a point, but if that were the case, why are manufactures getting fined for overstating their fuel mileage numbers on the stickers?

AirborneSilva

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To a point, but if that were the case, why are manufactures getting fined for overstating their fuel mileage numbers on the stickers?

Because they are dealing with the government! I work for the government so I know how f@(ked up it is... I do remember a case a while back where I think Honda got fined but they were just going off of the EPA estimates, not what they said it would do.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Recently it was Hyundia and that was their turbo motors which they ended up not being able to do what they said on the window sticker even on the EPA test. All the little turbo motors that are around nowadays will do what is stated but only in specific conditions that the EPA determines which leads to overinflated numbers that we are seeing. In the real world it is almost impossible to replicate the numbers they get for fuel milage.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
C'mon Burla! Ya hate the 3.55's that much? My 2013 has the 8 speed with 3.55's. I think it's a great combo. But I also am not seeing the high 17-18 MPG's you guys are quoting. I'm more like 15-16. (265 miles a tank)

However, I've also never driven another Ram with the 3.92's....I maybe should try it out one day...lol

Is there really that much of a difference between the two?

I hate the 3.55's after I drove my friends 3.92's. Way more early power right in the wheels. First time I drove it I drove like I was driving my truck, and found myself having to take my foot off the gas because I was smoking them in downtown SF coming home from a Giants game. Lucky there was no Police around, I wasn't even trying to smoke them. I barely get a squeek out of my 3.55's. Still a fast truck and very impressed with it over all my previous trucks, but the 3.92's make a big difference.

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
I hate the 3.55's after I drove my friends 3.92's. Way more early power right in the wheels. First time I drove it I drove like I was driving my truck, and found myself having to take my foot off the gas because I was smoking them in downtown SF coming home from a Giants game. Lucky there was no Police around, I wasn't even trying to smoke them. I barely get a squeek out of my 3.55's. Still a fast truck and very impressed with it over all my previous trucks, but the 3.92's make a big difference.

Hmm...you have me thinking about switchin' em out!

OP
OP
M

monkers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad Cab White
Engine
5.7 Hemi
airbornesilva, thank you for your service!!!! and thanks to all that answered......Im settled on the 3:92s.....

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually got the 3.92 because that's the same gear that came in the RT Dakotas way back when.

duck_man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 Laramie with the 8 speed. I travel average 100-150km per day, typically 40% highway at 120km/h, 60% city at 30-80km/h. Overall average is 15L/100km or 15.67 mpg. I have done 11.8L or about 20 mpg highway and typically 15-17L in the city. I'm not particularly light on the throttle and I have a Raider canopy (don't know if that makes it better or worse) and probably 250lbs of weight in the back at any given time. I have 5500km on it so far.

My last truck was a Titan with a similar rear end (tow package) and considering the increase in power and comfort in the Ram the increase in economy is amazing and unexpected. Haven't taken a long highway trip yet to see how it averages over a longer drive buy Wednesday I will put on about 600km so we will see. Should be able to do it on a tank. I wish I had the larger tank.

Just having all of the L/100km info available with averages and real-time data makes me so much more aware of my fuel consumption that I find myself actually trying to make it better. It's not about the $$$ (company fuel) but I just want to see how good it can get. With my Titan and the Torque Android App I used to try to get all of the green leaves off the tree by the time i was at the office :)

duck_man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drove 750km today, 600 highway. Overall average 13.4L/100km with my 8 speed and 3.92 gears. Highway 120km/h. Not bad.

DublDee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7
duck_man I'm guessing you had a bit of a wind pushing you? I can't average that with my 8 speed and 3.21's

Noved

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love my 3.92s I get 16 mpg and I drive mostly highway with 7k on the odometer. I however have never seen the Eco light but this light that has a car with squiggly lines behind it comes up every now and then. :happy107: