Muffler options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjcarp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ran a Flowmaster 40-Series for awhile and it sounder pretty great, however it just wasn't "enough". So I went online and ordered a muffler delete kit from American trucks, and now I just run no muffler. I love the sound, and the "drown" that most people complain about, well I don't hear it. Then again my radio is normally pretty loud.. It's Ram it's supposed to be loud, so let them be loud and obnoxious ...... I also don't have any neighbors to annoy, in the morning when I leave for work, which helps.

RaiderCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bought my 2020 used with 20,000 miles and it came with a Borla exhaust. Love it. Absolutely no drone and very quiet at highway speeds. But when you poke the bear, it will definitely let you know!

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's a little clip of mine with the Flowmaster 40 series and stock resonators, wife leaving for work this morning.

Super 40 or regular 40? Sounds nice.

Ramtuf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I went with the Magnaflow direct fit and love it . No drone and sounds good on cold starts and sounds awesome when you get on it. I was afraid of waking the neighbors so I did not go with the Carven. I did buy their 5 inch black tips though.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Hey all,

I’m looking at options to update my stock exhaust on my 2020 Classic.
I don’t want to spend on a full catback system and want to minimize drone but id love a good deep, guttural note at idle and when I get on it.
I was told it’s best to keep the resonators to help with drone but I want that big 2.5 ft factory muffler off to open it up. I’m considering performance muffler from Magnaflow or Carven, or just removing the muffler with a direct replacement Y pipe.
Thoughts?
I am guessing you don't have any factory warranty left. If you do that voids is.

SouthernBornRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Carven Exhaust Competitor Series Direct Replacement Muffler and since you want deeper sound go with larger tips, 5 inch or 6 inch will have deeper sound and no louder.​

Blue Truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No Spark Plugs
Sound is subjective. Personally, I like the deeper tones vs. the brap-brap, raspy wet fart sound.

The video link that 04fxdwgi :waytogo: posted is an excellent way to compare different ones back to back. Note that there are other manufacturers that offer similar choices if you find one you like.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Hey all,

I don’t want to spend on a full catback system and want to minimize drone but id love a good deep, guttural note at idle and when I get on it.
I was told it’s best to keep the resonators to help with drone but I want that big 2.5 ft factory muffler off to open it up. I’m considering performance muffler from Magnaflow or Carven, or just removing the muffler with a direct replacement Y pipe.
Thoughts?
It's amatter of taste I guess. The Hemi exhaust system emits one of the best throaty sounds out there IMO.

moparchas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

Thoughts?
I like my Carven Progressive muffler direct bolt on and sounds good and it really sounds good when you mash the gas pedal

OP
OP
trainthemane7

trainthemane7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like my Carven Progressive muffler direct bolt on and sounds good and it really sounds good when you mash the gas pedal
How’s the drone? I’m getting drone with this aggressive Aero muffler at 1500-1600 rpms

slbenz600

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
I have a 2015 Ram 2500 4X4 6.4 L HEMI. One of the problems that all these vehicles have is they are choking them off so bad that they can't breath. Let's look at the exhaust system the exhaust manifolds are large with a 3 1/4" outlet then through cats then they put 2 3" pipes into a necked down to one 3" pipe. Take this Y pipe and cut it apart talk about choking an engine down, you would be better off taking everything off and dispose of them. I put 3" stainless steel pipes from each cats through Magniflow mufflers and out the back has a great sound and has improved power and fuel mileage. Mileage has went from 8 mpg to 18 mpg empty and 4 mpg to 8 mpg depending on elevation. So don't throw your money away and put another Y pipe back in, waste of money

OP
OP
trainthemane7

trainthemane7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can anyone tell me the best direct fit muffler with minimal drone?

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can anyone tell me the best direct fit muffler with minimal drone?
"Best" is a matter of opinion. I love Flowmaster for that classic American V8 sound. Leave the stock resonators in place and you won't get drone.

It will be a little bit quieter than you'd expect for the first thousand-ish miles until the muffler breaks in. So don't put it on then immediately want to change because it isn't loud enough. Give it some time to break in and you'll be pleased.

Last edited:
OP
OP
trainthemane7

trainthemane7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"Best" is a matter of opinion. I love Flowmaster for that classic American V8 sound. Leave the stock resonators in place and you won't get drone.

It will be a little bit quieter than you'd expect for the first thousand-ish miles until the muffler breaks in. So don't put it on then immediately want to change because it isn't loud enough. Give it some time to break in and you'll be pleased.
I’m pretty much decided on a super 44 for that deep grumble and being less drone than the original 40 series. Definitely not touching the resonators in case I do some light towing up here in the mountains.
That or a black widow 250

Last edited:

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pypes violator bolt in kit for no drone or Gibson mwa for very little drone with a better sound

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All bolt in's will drone to some degree depending on how sensitive you are to it.

It will be very noticeable when MDS kicks in.

I had a Mufflex 18" bolt on and it sounded amazing, very minimal drone and only sounded bad when MDS kicked in.

If I were to do it again (which I am once I put headers on) I would do the biggest body muffler I could fit, I think the bolt in Magnaflow/Mufflex are 22-24"

Last edited:
OP
OP
trainthemane7

trainthemane7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All bolt in's will drone to some degree depending on how sensitive you are to it.

It will be very noticeable when MDS kicks in.

I had a Mufflex 18" bolt on and it sounded amazing, very minimal drone and only sounded bad when MDS kicked in.

If I were to do it again (which I am once I put heads on) I would do the biggest body muffler I could fit, I think the bolt in Magnaflow/Mufflex are 22-24"
I agree, I’m noticing that more now. I’d like a good v8 sound but could do without the “waaaaaaahhh” at light acceleration going up a hill or something. Didn’t have it with v8 sports cars I’ve had before but I guess the Hemi is just different in truck applications.