Muffler Upgrade & MDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OrionR5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hi Guys,
I was ready to get my mufflers upgraded this weekend. I'm still on the fence as to which model to go with. My 2014 Ram Sport is completely stock. I want a more sporty sounding exhaust tone. Not something that impedes a conversation in the cab. I was leaning to a Flowmaster Super 44. Yes I have listened to the video clips online. I think getting advice from someone who actually has them on their truck beats listening to a sound clip. Would a different model be better , 40 or a 50 series maybe. The stock exhaust is so tame. Maybe a Magnaflow.
I then read on this forum that running aftermarket mufflers really messes up MDS. This put the breaks on the upgrade. How bad is it. What will MDS drive like with the Flowmasters. I will wait for some input before I do the muffler upgrade.
Cheers!!!

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
A muffler doesn't mess up MDS, just according to most guys with exhaust, sounds bad when it engages. Description I've heard was a Subaru WRX under water lol

Did u check out Spintech? I don't have one but when I do pull the trigger that'll likely be my route. Supposedly zero drone too.

pld

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hi Guys,
I was ready to get my mufflers upgraded this weekend. I'm still on the fence as to which model to go with. My 2014 Ram Sport is completely stock. I want a more sporty sounding exhaust tone. Not something that impedes a conversation in the cab. I was leaning to a Flowmaster Super 44. Yes I have listened to the video clips online. I think getting advice from someone who actually has them on their truck beats listening to a sound clip. Would a different model be better , 40 or a 50 series maybe. The stock exhaust is so tame. Maybe a Magnaflow.
I then read on this forum that running aftermarket mufflers really messes up MDS. This put the breaks on the upgrade. How bad is it. What will MDS drive like with the Flowmasters. I will wait for some input before I do the muffler upgrade.
Cheers!!!

Solo Performance Mach 40 (built in Toronto) sporty sounding and very little drone(had this for a while on my 13 sport among alot of other mufflers)too tame and switched it up for a flowmaster super 44 which had waaay less drone than the 14" and 18" Magnaflow. The 22" Magnaflow with deleted resonator's was my favourite.:favorites13:

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Dyno max race bullet and way less drone then my old super 40

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
Gibson has no drone Period and sound way better than any of those tin can mufflers.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I have a 14 in mbrp the key to keeps mds undercontol is to leave the reaonators on. My truck has a great tone/growl under acceleration but cruising no issue can't even hear 80% of the time. Pulling a trailer can be annoying if it's a heavy one, short of that I'm very pleased. I suggest the 14-18 mufflex same style muffler and it's ready to bolt in. Me personally not a fan of the chambered mufflers with mds they tend to reaonate more vs a preforated muffler that just my opnion everyone's is different.

TXLimited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Flowmasters sound mean, but are notorious for having bad drone.

I have the Mufflex 18" (Magnaflow) muffler. Has a great rumble on start and under acceleration, while cruising you can barely hear it. It did not change the way the MDS worked, it still functioned like always, it just sounded terrible when the MDS kicked in. I used my InTune and turned MDS off, now all is well. I've heard the 22" Magnaflow is supposed to still have a good sound, but none of the MDS drone...

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 14 Sport Quad cab. I bought the 14" Mufflex from Moes. I love the sound. It's definitely not too loud to hold a conversation in the cab at all. I think it has a really nice rumble especially when you get on it. The question that most ask eventually is "does it drone?". As a lot of people say, it's subjective. My answer is "no", but you can hear it the louder exhaust because it IS a louder then stock exhaust. That was the whole point for me. When the MDS kicks in it does not bother me at all. In my opinion, it's nothing like some make it out to be. To me, it's not bad at all! It just sounds like a truck with a louder exhaust kicking into overdrive.

OP
OP
OrionR5

OrionR5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thank you for all your responses guys. Much appreciated!!!

GoRebels

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mufflex Aggressive (forgot which size this is) but it's titts. Going to a Diablo and no MDS with Resonator Delete very soon for the win.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I had a 14" magnaflow welded in. Sounds great. Mds doesn't sound horrible. I'll probably turn it off after I do headers and get a fresh hemifever tune. Cost 175 installed and met a good guy that owns the shop

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank