My 1973 Project Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
The lifters have that retaining clip because there is a spring loaded oiling mechanism inside the tappet so if you're planning on reusing them I would just make sure they compress and spring back freely. Man those pistons look dirty! Nice work.

OP
OP
R

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with K&N CAI and Diablosport Trinity Tuner
Today

Got the valves done this morning and reassembled.

Glad to see a few more of yall guys following along :favorites13:

The intake is a 2186 performer.

I think A hipo fuel pump would be overkill for me. But if mine turns bad I'll definitely shoot ya a pm. As far as a 302 duration cam in a truck, wouldn't that be hard to live with? Any suggestions on this would be appreciated. If i swap cams I was considering a 262 or 268/something small with reasonable low to mid-range torque.

The guy I bought the truck from told me recently that the cam, lifters, and push-rods were all new but he doesn't remember specs because its been too long. He has a couple drag cars and a few classic dodge trucks (a 47 power wagon with a 3 cylinder cummins swap is his dd) I've been picking his brain more often now.

I'm going to pull my timing cover next and check my timing chain and see if i can get a grind # off the Camshaft. I think my motor may be over cammed already. It seems to barely pull at first, like it is struggling, then it pulls quickly to high rpm based on sound. But It may have just been a side effect of the general mis-maintence of the truck and poor engine swap job in general.

It was a 700$ truck, what could i have expected. I guess now i have more like 2k invested in it, and a lot of quality time. Still better than a new one imo :buffer:

The truck rarely sees paved roads or the topside of 50 mph.
Other thoughts are that I could re-gear. and that my 727 needs serviced and a shift kit. It shifts way too early unless all out flooring it.

I'll keep you guys posted how it goes. And i forgot to get intake/carburetor studs and/or bolts. so I gotta look for those in town now too if i want to finish this anytime soon....

Attachments

• IMG_0110[1].jpg
    IMG_0110[1].jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0118[1].jpg
    IMG_0118[1].jpg
    94 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0108[1].jpg
    IMG_0108[1].jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
R

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with K&N CAI and Diablosport Trinity Tuner
Would y'all say it is beneficial to clean all of the pistons like that? I cleaned the drivers side 4. Just wondering if I'm wasting my time or should i do the passenger side too?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Got the valves done this morning and reassembled.

Glad to see a few more of yall guys following along :favorites13:

The intake is a 2186 performer.

I think A hipo fuel pump would be overkill for me. But if mine turns bad I'll definitely shoot ya a pm. As far as a 302 duration cam in a truck, wouldn't that be hard to live with? Any suggestions on this would be appreciated. If i swap cams I was considering a 262 or 268/something small with reasonable low to mid-range torque.

The guy I bought the truck from told me recently that the cam, lifters, and push-rods were all new but he doesn't remember specs because its been too long. He has a couple drag cars and a few classic dodge trucks (a 47 power wagon with a 3 cylinder cummins swap is his dd) I've been picking his brain more often now.

I'm going to pull my timing cover next and check my timing chain and see if i can get a grind # off the Camshaft. I think my motor may be over cammed already. It seems to barely pull at first, like it is struggling, then it pulls quickly to high rpm based on sound. But It may have just been a side effect of the general mis-maintence of the truck and poor engine swap job in general.

It was a 700$ truck, what could i have expected. I guess now i have more like 2k invested in it, and a lot of quality time. Still better than a new one imo :buffer:

The truck rarely sees paved roads or the topside of 50 mph.
Other thoughts are that I could re-gear. and that my 727 needs serviced and a shift kit. It shifts way too early unless all out flooring it.

I'll keep you guys posted how it goes. And i forgot to get intake/carburetor studs and/or bolts. so I gotta look for those in town now too if i want to finish this anytime soon....
You could have too much cam in it, won't really know til it's back together. Gears will help. Your 727 probably needs to have the kick down adjusted. I know mine doesn't have the spring on it and when I did put it on, it skipped second and went right to third, so you might consider taking it off and pushing the linkage all the way back and seeing what it does.
Would y'all say it is beneficial to clean all of the pistons like that? I cleaned the drivers side 4. Just wondering if I'm wasting my time or should i do the passenger side too?

I'd just hit 'em with some brake clean and a rag. Beyond that I wouldn't mess with it too hard.