my first dodge and a few probs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jh1323

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey guys im new on here and got bought my first dodge few months back its a 97 1500 2wd with 5.9 in it.so i have some things cant figure out when first bought it check enginge light was on said needed a crank sensor so i went and bought one was gona put it in then the light went out and never came back on so never put it in.then i had the intake gaskets changed on it cause they where bad.but ever since i owned the truck when im at a stop or light sometimes it will start idleing rough like its gona die but once i push the gas pedal and go its fine.it never has died but acts like it.then most the time idles smooth as can be.other problem that started is when driving down the road just at radom times the truck like jerks then is fine after that runs smooth down the road.is it the tranny or tps i was thinking tps cause twice at a light had my foot on break pedal and it was lunging foward like it wanted to go as if was giving gas.thanks

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
When was the last time you checked your plugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Plugs ( copper core)
Cap and rotor ( brass contacts)
And new pick-up coil. ( I think this is your problem)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
OP
J

jh1323

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i bought it from the original owner so i know all the stuff he had done to it and i bought it in march and he had new cap rotor plugs and wires put on 4 or 5 months before i bought it.it dont have a new coil though and the mechanic that did my intake gaskets is a dodge guy and said they go out alot.before the intake gaskets got fixed i was going thru a bunch of oil when drove on highway. and asked if should change plugs cause of all the oil it used to use and they said dont worry about it.

OP
OP
J

jh1323

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i havent checked plugs cause i knew he had new ones put in.if it was plugs wouldnt it idle bad all the time?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That surging forward, could be a faulty torque converter control circuit...but have the TPS tested

OP
OP
J

jh1323

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
k thanks guess ill start with the tps

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The pick up coil I was referring to is a round plastic disk that sits under the rotor in the dist cap. ( just to clairify)

Sent from iPhone Tapatalk

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
I have the idle problem too. but my trucks a standard so i dont have the surgin forward problems