My first pickup. Should I save this truck or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Album: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Truck - Album on Imgur

Just curious what Dodge people think. I bought this as a winter truck so I could store my 2013 Mustang but to be honest it's kind of growing on me. I'm having the trans rebuilt and the ghetto dash trim is already replaced. It needs ball joints, tie rod ends and brakes, all of which I had planned to do as a project with my son before the snow hits. All in all I'm into this truck for about $2300 including the trans.

The only rust I can see is a bit right below the passenger door and it scares me. Mechanical, I can figure out eventually with enough banging my head against the wall but rust takes talent I do not have. The interior is not ripped up or anything, stereo is fine and everything seems to work.

So given the rust, do I plan on keeping this thing for a few more years?

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Album: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Truck - Album on Imgur

Just curious what Dodge people think. I bought this as a winter truck so I could store my 2013 Mustang but to be honest it's kind of growing on me. I'm having the trans rebuilt and the ghetto dash trim is already replaced. It needs ball joints, tie rod ends and brakes, all of which I had planned to do as a project with my son before the snow hits. All in all I'm into this truck for about $2300 including the trans.

The only rust I can see is a bit right below the passenger door and it scares me. Mechanical, I can figure out eventually with enough banging my head against the wall but rust takes talent I do not have. The interior is not ripped up or anything, stereo is fine and everything seems to work.

So given the rust, do I plan on keeping this thing for a few more years?

If you take care of maintenance and everything they will last a long time. Since your having the trans rebuilt your already fixing the weakest part of these trucks. Id say keep it for a few more weeks, drive it around and then make a decision. Id say keep it a make into a muscle truck like some of the guys on here have done. Thats whatd I do anyway. :favorites13:

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh no! Rust?! Better sell that truck asap! Rust is cancerous!

Rust isn't as bad as it's made out to be. If you don't care too much about appearance but want to stop the, get some POR15 and spray it on there.

If it's surface rust (can't see from your pictures how bad it is) just sand it out with sand paper, then hit it with some self etching primer and single stage white (paint supply shops can compress the paint into aerosol cans if you don't have a paint gun). Don't buy the crap from auto parts stores. They never match, and they don't hold up for ****, causing you to redo it again.

Or get a quote from a body shop.

Rust is no reason to get rid of a vehicle. If that were the case, 90% of us in the 2nd gen section would be investing in walking shoes and kia's.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
If you take care of maintenance and everything they will last a long time. Since your having the trans rebuilt your already fixing the weakest part of these trucks. Id say keep it for a few more weeks, drive it around and then make a decision. Id say keep it a make into a muscle truck like some of the guys on here have done. Thats whatd I do anyway. :favorites13:

+1 to muscle truck

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Oh no! Rust?! Better sell that truck asap! Rust is cancerous!

Rust isn't as bad as it's made out to be. If you don't care too much about appearance but want to stop the, get some POR15 and spray it on there.

If it's surface rust (can't see from your pictures how bad it is) just sand it out with sand paper, then hit it with some self etching primer and single stage white (paint supply shops can compress the paint into aerosol cans if you don't have a paint gun). Don't buy the crap from auto parts stores. They never match, and they don't hold up for ****, causing you to redo it again.

Or get a quote from a body shop.

Rust is no reason to get rid of a vehicle. If that were the case, 90% of us in the 2nd gen section would be investing in walking shoes and kia's.

I've got one of the most rusty trucks on here for us 2nd genners and compared to a lot of trucks in my area it ain't that bad

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Phone ain't cooperating so I can't view the album atm, but some door rust ain't bad. Just make sure and check the cab mounts

OP
OP
kdryan

kdryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys. I like the muscle truck idea. There's a 360 on Craigslist right now... :) Lots of cleaning up to do first though.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Thanks guys. I like the muscle truck idea. There's a 360 on Craigslist right now... :) Lots of cleaning up to do first though.

Yeah since its a 2wd shortbed, a muscle truck makes the most sense. Never lift a 2wd unless you live in cali or a state like that. It would be a waste of money.

If you go about doing the muscle truck the right way you will surprise alot of people when your race off the line. :naughty:

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
Yeah since its a 2wd shortbed, a muscle truck makes the most sense. Never lift a 2wd unless you live in cali or a state like that. It would be a waste of money.

If you go about doing the muscle truck the right way you will surprise alot of people when your race off the line. :naughty:
Muscle trucks take a lot of money. I'm 14k down the muscle truck road lmao

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum

Don't be scared of the 318 as Muscle. Plenty of performance 318's out there. Look into stroker kits. Hows a 370ci, 390ci, 396ci or 402ci sound?

Sure, the most common stroker kit for a 360 is 408ci and you can stretch out to 414ci.

I myself would love to say I have a 396ci under the hood. Just to fck people up.
Seems everyone has a 408ci or knows someone that has one.

You can buy an engine to build or build yours. Just saying, don't overlook the cheaper, more readily available little brother.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Nice truck. Besides the bad mirror.
I noticed the trash in the back. I told my wife that you should have cleaned it out but then she pointed out the tonnue cover and said it's probably messy because it's where you keep your dogs and they chewed something up.

OH NO I DIDN'T :roflsquared:

OP
OP
kdryan

kdryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice truck. Besides the bad mirror.
I noticed the trash in the back. I told my wife that you should have cleaned it out but then she pointed out the tonnue cover and said it's probably messy because it's where you keep your dogs and they chewed something up.

OH NO I DIDN'T :roflsquared:

This was just after I bought it. That's not my trash...

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
These trucks make for some bad ass looking muscle trucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk