My new Ram is a **** lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
stock 2012 Laramie Longhorn 5.7L
I had zero problems lighting up the tires on my 11 ram with 5.7 bone stock without any add ons. Obviously without the trailer hooked up. My current 21 ram with 5.7 doesnt have a problem either. The 11 had 3.55 gears and the 21 had granny 3.21 gears. Both completely stockScreenshot_20221127_111539_Gallery.jpg20220318_162946.jpg

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
See, I’m not impress in regards to burnouts. I find the traction control overpowering and can’t turn it off. Acceleration is another story. These trucks will move. Difference between the eco and hemi are there. That little eco, once spooled, is something else. Ram can’t catch it with that 10 speed combination.

Who cares though. Funny how other truck manufacturers or going 26 speed transmissions and superchargers. Trying to be on top. Look at the raptor r. Yet people keep buying more and more rams with the 5.7 vs the comp.

Not trying to give you sarcasm or more bs. Power to weight ratios differ. The ram trucks are heavy. You want more power, put more air in and out. Intake and exhaust. Add a turner. More air in is useless without. Those peddle commanders are cool. Wonder if that does any harm to the trans?

Last edited:

spellbound37042

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Something to take in to consideration is that your f150 eco boost has more torque at lower rpm’s then the hemi engine does and the Ford f150 weight is less to around 900 lbs less also all that comes into play when your taking off fast and spinning tires and the last thing is that the gear ratio could have been significantly different to make it easier too then the dodge but the issues you will see with the eco boost that you won’t with the hemi is the eco boost turbo will eventually fail and or leak oil and among other issues and without the turbos the ford engine has no power to hardly speak of as for the Hemi it is a single cam V8 monster and capable of producing more power where as the eco boost is more limited on more power without causing possible internal engine failure. To each there own.

RaiderCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi. New here too. I bought my 20 1500 5.7 used (19,000 miles) already having a Borla exhaust and then I added a Vararam intake. Even with the 3.21 open gears it just cruises until you poke the bear then all hell breaks loose. I came from a 2018 FX4 5.0 (that used 1qt of oil per 1,000 miles). I promise it won’t keep up with a 3.5 EB but the 5.7 has tons more torque down low than the high-revving 5.0. I think the 5.7 is just restricted with the stock intake and exhaust. Next up long tubes!

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for your reply but respectfully I'm 39 and perfectly versed in automobiles and all things that go. I am not looking to do a burnout I just expected more from the all powerful Hemi and looking for advice from some veterans in the area.
Then you should know the nanny systems limits the torque that is applied. Turn them off, it’s in the book that came with the vehicle and there are multiple degrees of off.

OP
OP
R

Ram1500LarLong

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If a vehicle is able to merge into traffic at an Highway On Ramp, it is good enough.

You could put the correct NGK Spark Plugs in it
NGK 92174 Standard; Pre-Set Gap: 0.044"
or
NGK 92145 Laser Iridium; Pre-Set Gap: 0.044
Longer lasting

Cleaning the Throttle Body will do wonders

If you want, You could drive to your local auto Parts store & ask them if they could hook up their scanner, to check for hidden trouble codes
Thanks for the reply! I decided to start with the basics and changed the plugs. Turns out someone used some "high performance" plugs that many threads so get too hot for this engine. So, I went back to the OEM copper/nickel 92174s. While changing them I came across some that were not even a full turn screwed in! Damn things were probably bouncing around in there and didn't have any compression. I also had some ticking that is now gone.
I also added a Superchips Tune and she sounds a lot better and has a lot more power.
I will also clean up the TB and any air/fuel sensors then it's on to the exhaust.
Thanks again!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for the reply! I decided to start with the basics and changed the plugs. Turns out someone used some "high performance" plugs that many threads so get too hot for this engine. So, I went back to the OEM copper/nickel 92174s. While changing them I came across some that were not even a full turn screwed in! Damn things were probably bouncing around in there and didn't have any compression. I also had some ticking that is now gone.
I also added a Superchips Tune and she sounds a lot better and has a lot more power.
I will also clean up the TB and any air/fuel sensors then it's on to the exhaust.
Thanks again!
One of the short comings is the 5 speed transmission you have,it's first gear is only 3.06:1,and limits the bottom end tire spinning torque,if you had a newer truck with the 8 speed and it's 4.71:1 first gear you'd have a lot more initial torque multiplication. You're comparing your old 3.5 Ford with the 10 speed to a truck with a 5 speed,whole lotta differance between the 1st gears in the 2 trucks.Take a later model 8 speed truck for a test drive and you'll notice quite a differance.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Harsh replays lol. I'm sure our Rams go from 60 to 100 very well but not as well as a 450 HP twin Turbo even if it is a V6.
Got news for you, the new turbo charged Hurricane 6 cylinder will smoke the 5.7 in those categories too so no need to be wankers about it.

I haven't done any performance mods to mine so I can't help.

Last edited:

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In for pics of OP's truck!!!

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
One of the short comings is the 5 speed transmission you have,it's first gear is only 3.06:1,and limits the bottom end tire spinning torque,if you had a newer truck with the 8 speed and it's 4.71:1 first gear you'd have a lot more initial torque multiplication. You're comparing your old 3.5 Ford with the 10 speed to a truck with a 5 speed,whole lotta differance between the 1st gears in the 2 trucks.Take a later model 8 speed truck for a test drive and you'll notice quite a differance.

2012 should have the 6 speed 65RFE, so a slightly worse for acceleration 3.00:1. That said, mine with the 3.92 rear had zero issues breaking the rear tires loose if I wanted to, and sometimes when I didn't. (I understand it shifts like a 5 speed if you aren't manually shifting, only using 2nd *or* 3rd, but never both in a row when shifting automatically)

• 65RFE
    • 1st 3.00:1
    • 2nd 1.67:1
    • 3rd 1.50:1
    • 4th 1.00:1
    • 5th 0.75:1
    • 6th 0.67:1
    • Reverse 3.00:1

Justthebutler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Turn on tow/haul and turn off traction control. Have fun!

She'll light them up if you hammer it off the line, and Brake stands are easily done anywhere; its even more fun when you do that and then feather it into a drift.

:cool:

htwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I bought my 2011 Ram 5
7 in mid 2014. I was after a 3.6 as I don't tow much (1500lbs) but the engine was fairly new then and commanded a premium price. A few years ago I bit the bullet on a pedal commander. Awesome unit. I drive 90% in the city and the PC makes the 5.7 feel like the V8 it was suppose to be from the factory. Stock with 3.55 gears it's mediocre for something that's suppose to have 395hp. Just to warn you, a year after getting a PC I needed a new head gasket - totally worth it.

gnick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
the 5.7 is a dog compared to the 3.5 ecoboost. The ecoboost and 10 speed transmission are beasts.

that said the ram is a much nicer truck than the F150. And it sounds better.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The ecoboost has more pep off the line and has plenty of power, but I won't say that the 5.7 is a dog in comparison. That extra pep comes from the turbos.

The 5.7 is around the 390-400 HP mark. Ecoboost is the same. The difference is in the torque. Ram is somewhere in the 400-410 tq range where the ecoboost is around 500...

I've owned both. Rest assured that 10 speed is far behind the ZF8. Wait until it fails. :) You'll be longing for the days of that 8 speed.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you mod the motor for more power and use it, the RFE trans will fail pretty quickly. Stock it's ok, more power behind it and it's doomed - unless you also beef up the trans.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
One addition that would give you a bit of a thrill after you change the spark plugs, is to get rid of at least one NANNY system.
For about $300, you can buy a Pedal Commander or Pedal Monster.

What it does now, in its stock setup, you press the GO Pedal & there is a built in delay, just like when you want to warn someone using your horn, you hit the horn & there is a seemingly long delay.

A Pedal Commander removes the delay & the truck feels quicker

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I would go with the Pedal Monster. The Pedal Commander has caused some on this forum, including me, a few problems causing the truck to go into limp mode. When I had that issue it put me in a life threatning situation a couple of times. I won't install it again.
From what I've read, the Pedal Monster won't cause anything like I experienced.
:cheers:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine