My Power Ram 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
for me i usually don't worry about the belts too much as long they don't look rotten. a few cracks here and their won't hurt anything. V-belts are pretty strong and you rarely hear about one failing unless something seizes up.

lol nope. it starts all on its own. it can just be a bit hard to keep it idling sometimes with the small vacuum leak until the choke is open enough or the engine is warm

OP
OP
RonJon '06

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Dang choke. I thought I was on the right track but after my adjustment it wouldn't kick down. Then it started shooting flames out the tailpipe and while I was trying to figure out what was going on I noticed the passenger's side exhaust pipe was glowing red hot like the sun. :eek: I shut it down pretty quick lol.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
that don't sound good. i have never heard of a stock manifold glowing red. hopefully no damage was done.

OP
OP
RonJon '06

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Oh, not the manifold but the exhaust pipe just below the manifold. I went back and adjusted it again and now it kicks down but the warm idle adjustment isn't working. I think I need to go back and start over from the begining.:crazy:

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i have still never heard of those glowing red. you would have to get things extremely hot to make a pipe glow red

OP
OP
RonJon '06

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Yeah, it got pretty hot. The engine temp was OK but when I shut it off I could hear a gurgling sound on the top of the engine, maybe inside the intake manifold? I pulled the dipstick and the oil looked OK.

I think I might have my vacuum hoses hooked up wrong on the back of the carb because the choke pull off isn't working but the diaphragm seemed to work when I checked it. Daylight savings now so hopefully I can look at it tonight when I get home.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
well i would not trust the stock temp gauge. i found mine never worked that good or much at all. coolant could have possibly been boiling in the rad and flowing into the rad.

i don't really know those carbs too well so can't really help you out much. i barely know my way around a holley.

OP
OP
RonJon '06

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Well, I was worried at first but I don't think the heads got hot. I'm pretty sure it was just dumping too much unburnt fuel into the exhaust. I might pull a plug on each side just to see but I bet they'll be as black as coal. The other reassuring thing is that my exhaust doesn't smell like coolant, it smells like gas big time.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i meant the coolant might have boiled and went back into the overflow.

hopefully all it good. i have had my truck up over 230+ before and still seems to run good. the only issue at 230+ is my rad start leaking under pressure. i have just never seen an exhaust pipe glow red. the plugs should definitely tell you how hot your engine got tho.

OP
OP
RonJon '06

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Fixed it. It was an open vacuum line on the back of the carb, the one that goes to the air cleaner but also to the choke pull off. No more flames out the tail pipe lol.