My truck is special! Amazon tail lights wrong connector ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Well, after much anticipation I got my amazon tail lights and they don’t connect. Boy am I pissed. I made sure to order the ones meant for none OEM LED and the connector is wrong. Unless I’m missing something here. The ad also states 2009-2017 Ram 1500.

Am I special ? Or is my truck special ? The real ****** part is I ordered these on the US site to my buddies place in Rochester. He dropped them off an hour ago. I went to do the easy “plug and play” install and BAM! Won’t connect.

The truck end and stock light is a 3 prong connector and the LED aftermarket is like a flat connection. #confused

d037ab5446f36c7cc06125f1af70abdb.jpgf11d96fd4b794b775474360eb730e9c3.jpg604ea8465d38bb9347b32ee9a60b9443.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take the sockets/connectors from your original lights. Remove the bulbs and plug those connectors in their place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Take the sockets/connectors from your original lights. Remove the bulbs and plug those connectors in their place.

What!?? LMAO. I did ! I removed the connector plugged into the light bulb assembly on my stock lights and it doens match the one on the back of these aftermarket Led lights.

I’m having a bad week and maybe my brain is fried. I don’t know. But this shouldn’t be this hard right? The connection coming out of my truck is wired to the plug. And the plug coming off the amazon lights don’t fit the connector. When I look at the connection behind the factory light it’s flat prongs

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
You may need the harness from your old tail lights.

truck harness >>> Old tail light harness >>> New tail lights

So plug the new tail lights where the bulb would go? The thing I twist and pull out? So plug the new tail lights where bulb goes and plug the thing I pop out into the plug coming out of my truck!?

I think I may have had a stroke LOL. I’ll try this.

I must say amazon has been amazing. They said they’re send me new ones. I might have to cancel that whole thing if this works. Stand by. I’ll go try now LOL.

I deleted that picture from my original post yet it still comes up. Maybe a mod could delete that screen shot as it has my address on it. Not that I don’t trust anyone but ya never know.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^yes, you have to reuse the light bulb assembly from your stock lights. That flat connector you have pictured plugs directly into the socket, instead of the bulbs that are there right now...sorry my first post wasn't very clear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
^^yes, you have to reuse the light bulb assembly from your stock lights. That flat connector you have pictured plugs directly into the socket, instead of the bulbs that are there right now...sorry my first post wasn't very clear.

No no. You were bang on. I’m just a *******.... The lights work! I just assumed that the harness holding the light bulb was a throw away and that the new light had its own thing. I should have known by the gaping hole that would have been there. I should not do any mods myself moving forward and should always be under adult supervision LOL. Maybe I should even start wearing a helmet!!!

It’s 9:30 PM. 30 F outside and I’m a couple beers deep. But I got er done ha ha ha. They look amazing. I love the C shape albeit I’m sure they’re not for everyone I think the smoked out lens and C shape looks amazing on my black truck. I hope they last (fingers crossed)

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
LOL...I ran into this same deal when I upgraded my '07 MegaCab stock tails to a pair of Hella LED's. It was just a simple connection adapter that I overlooked on the end of the new tail light harness.

DOH!!! I felt like an idiot...and no beers were consumed, either!

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No no. You were bang on. I’m just a *******.... The lights work! I just assumed that the harness holding the light bulb was a throw away and that the new light had its own thing. I should have known by the gaping hole that would have been there. I should not do any mods myself moving forward and should always be under adult supervision LOL. Maybe I should even start wearing a helmet!!!

It’s 9:30 PM. 30 F outside and I’m a couple beers deep. But I got er done ha ha ha. They look amazing. I love the C shape albeit I’m sure they’re not for everyone I think the smoked out lens and C shape looks amazing on my black truck. I hope they last (fingers crossed)

I made the same mistake when i tried to plug in my new tail lights. Sat there and scratched my head for an hour! I would have never thought to use the old bulb socket to plug the light into. It just didnt make any sense. Haha

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I made the same mistake when i tried to plug in my new tail lights. Sat there and scratched my head for an hour! I would have never thought to use the old bulb socket to plug the light into. It just didnt make any sense. Haha

You guys crack me up. It’s reassuring that I’m not the only one that was over thinking this! I was thinking of cutting wires and matching them up LOL. Glad I posted here first ;). You guys are awesome.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You guys crack me up. It’s reassuring that I’m not the only one that was over thinking this! I was thinking of cutting wires and matching them up LOL. Glad I posted here first ;). You guys are awesome.

Hell i took my lights back up to the house, and put the stock ones back in, and messaged the seller. Then did some research, and later went down and installed them. Took 5 minutes. Man did i feel stupid. Your not the only one bud. Haha!

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Those tail lights look nice. What brand are they? I want a set for my white ram.

Thanks Lee! They are amazon specials. From what I can tell they are the same as the one on eBay. What I don’t like is the fact they seem to have 3-4 different “manufactures”. I think people pay the rights to seek to some company in China or Taiwan and slap their name on it. Some say VP moto or something. Amazon brand is “one big outlet” it seems. All look identical just branded differently. It’s confusing when choosing so be careful to read the specs section as well as fitment.

Assuming you have a 2009-2017 with non OEM LED these ones should be good for you

If you search “2017 Ram 1500 tail lights” on eBay you’ll see what I mean

2010-2017 Ram 1500/2500/3500, 2009 Ram 1500 Black Smoke Light-Bar LED Tail Lights + LED 3rd Brake Lamp 2010 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071WMW46X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_uEaSAbP4ZQX46

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Infantry have you had issues with that 3rd brake light ? I have mine in the box and thinking of maybe getting some better weather stripping