Name that noise!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds rotational, Like a cracked flywheel flex plate and it does have a lifter tick also, don't think its exhaust manifold related.

OP
OP
F

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So I just pulled the inspection cover. Started her and now it isn’t making the noise.

I can’t win: I’ll put it back together and it will make it tomorrow now watch.

Gunna spin flex plate and look for cracks check converter bolts before I close it

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
These are noisy engines, but this is the end result of lifter tick:
20220218_000617.jpg
Mine was an exfleet truck with really high idle hours. It was too late for Redline but that's something you might want to look into. Just search this forum for Redline and lubrication strategy.
I'm no help on your funky squeak, other than to suggest running it without the belt just to rule out pulleys.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Don’t all these trucks make the lifter tick?
no, but when they do, develop a lubrication strategy consisting of heavy moly, the correct type. Read this thread and the poll. First fix that troubling noise then get to the tick, two lubrication strategies here have a 50% or an 80% success rate depending on which one you try. Lubegard biotech 15 ounces is easy and cheap 50% effective, redline 5w30 paired with a royal purple 20-820 seams to be the nuclear option and kills that tick like nothing else we have tried.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Funny stuff...Take a noise thread and turn it into an oil thread. Saying some brand of super lube made by the Gimmic Company is going to fix the lifter issue is like saying Brand X underwear is going to fix your hemorrhoids. Hiding the noise...doesn't fix the issue.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Strange you don't own a Hemi, do some reading in the oil thread before you make an ignorant statement like that!!!
Don't worry he's also the genius claiming there's no differance between peak torque at 4,000 rpm or at 5,000 rpm. He also claims the 6.4's peak torque is at 5,000 rpm,when i pointed out he was wrong and the 6.4's peak torque is actually 4,000 rpm,not as he claimed at 5,000 rpm,he got all huffy,and claimed there is no differance between 4,000 and 5,000 rpm in regard to peak torque,lol. I'd take anything he says with a grain of salt,as he's not the brightest bulb in the room :Big Laugh:

Zxripper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure if this is it but I had to have my waterpump replaced under warranty because it was making a pretty loud squealing noise,it didn't fail but was extremely noisy. They thought maybe it was a bearing in the alternator at first so they replaced the alternator and belt and pulleys but still made the noise then they replaced the waterpump and that's what it was.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Not anymore. I'm not dumb enough to buy another one. And oil won't solve your problem...So who is the ignorant one?

The OP asked for forum members opinions with his HEMI that he is having. Forum folks listened to his video and made suggestions as to what it might or could be. An oil strategy was offered as to possibly help of eliminating the noise.

True. Oil doesn't repair cam and lifter wear but an good quality synthetic oil with higher amount moly/zinc and a good quality oil filter helps tremendously for the drama queen HEMI. I learned this here in the ramforums.

I stay in the background and read alot. There are alot of knowledgeable folks ready to help others when asked.

Be good and happy motoring.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Starting to fear this is a lifter/cam failure

No check engine light for any cylinder misfires…. Yet