Navigation System Calibration Required

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had this same issue but was on the old software. One I updated it started working correctly immediately. Not sure what software firmware or whatever ware you got but its worth checking.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There was something about having to update to 18.something or you could have issues with the nav working correctly... I know I had to update mine to fix my nav problems.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There was something about having to update to 18.something or you could have issues with the nav working correctly...
^^^ this
Check you software revision, make sure it's at 18.45.01. This update included a software fix for the GPS to correct it's time position calculations, without it the GPS can get lost.
Another possibility is the antenna and/or connections has gone bad.

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ this
Check you software revision, make sure it's at 18.45.01. This update included a software fix for the GPS to correct it's time position calculations, without it the GPS can get lost.
Another possibility is the antenna and/or connections has gone bad.

Thank you. How do I update the software?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If it was the GPS software update you would have been having this problem for a while now. (And it would be acting differently). The update was for the date roll over so it would have been acting up since April 2019 ( I think that's when it occurred).

Check and see if there is an update, it never hurts but I don't expect it to fix your problem. Like I said, pretty sure you have a failed antenna or receiver in the radio given the symptoms.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am sort of having this same issue

I paid the dealership to update my radio software to 18.45.01
I paid because i had tried to update it myself & also paid a computer geek to do it & neither of us could get the radio to accept the update

It seems to have corrected the truck ICON on my RA4 8.4AN

I still can not use the VR steering wheel button to enter a location vocally, but i only tried it once

I am curious, what exactly is the GPS location collected by
Is it the RA4 radio ?
Is it the Navigation software ?
Is it the 3G Sierra AIR CARD ?

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/8-4a-radio-id-cellular-antennae-connector.65844/

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well that sucks .... I am out of ideas ....

It’s OK, thank you for your help. Does anyone have a copy of the older software 18.13.17? My radio is now stuck in this loop where it’s asking to insert a USB to update the software. I tried the newest software and it won’t take. It keeps failing at the Sierra wireless. I would like to try and older version of the software if anyone has it for me to download.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It’s OK, thank you for your help. Does anyone have a copy of the older software 18.13.17? My radio is now stuck in this loop where it’s asking to insert a USB to update the software. I tried the newest software and it won’t take. It keeps failing at the Sierra wireless. I would like to try and older version of the software if anyone has it for me to download.
If you have a trickle charger hook it up and just let it keep going. It might recover and skip that portion eventually. It took mine over 24 hours to recover when that occurred.

If it does recover, do not attempt any further firmware updates on that radio. Do not attempt to switch the current USB update either.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have a trickle charger hook it up and just let it keep going. It might recover and skip that portion eventually. It took mine over 24 hours to recover when that occurred.

If it does recover, do not attempt any further firmware updates on that radio. Do not attempt to switch the current USB update either.

I do not. It doesn’t move past the failed screen unless you remove the usb. Are you saying just let it cycle from “wait 2-5 minutes to insert usb” for hours or just leave the USB plugged in?

Maybe it might take the previous version of the software. I don’t have a copy of it nor can I find it.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I do not. It doesn’t move past the failed screen unless you remove the usb. Are you saying just let it cycle from “wait 2-5 minutes to insert usb” for hours or just leave the USB plugged in?

Maybe it might take the previous version of the software. I don’t have a copy of it nor can I find it.
Yep, that's what I'm saying. Leave the USB in and just let it keep failing (with the same update that failed) When I did this (with a charger hooked up) one morning I came out, disconnected and started driving away and I realized the radio was working again. It actually updated too but finally failed through the Aircard update. I have no idea how many attempts it took but it definitely ran overnight, maybe even two nights.

If you can get it to work, never try to update your firmware again. The aircard is toast and its a common issue but the radio is largely functional without it.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Curlyp, I don’t have any fixes for you, but our experience with our 2018 Grand Cherokee Summit was a replacement head unit. There was no satellite signals at all. All other functions worked except the Nav.
It was still under warranty. The dealership replaced the head unit and it has been working since. Took maybe 4-5 weeks till it was changed out.

Mudders Beast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recall that after doing the USB update download it took overnight to work. Service dept said 12 hrs for any changes is normal. Don’t know why.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All above be why, when I bought MY 19, I stayed with 8.4, plain Uconnect 4 radio, no Nav, SOS, 911 watever. Radio does not update. U have to go to Dealer for any, and since my radio works fine, not gonna touch. I do have truck going in for TSB repair this week for AC, and I talked to SA. I mentioned Radio TSB update, and he asked is my radio working OK. YUP, told him I do not want my radio bricked. He immediately removed the Uconnect TSB request, said good job thinking it through (his way of telling me to leave it alone because of bricked radio's).

Nuke71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Curlyp, I don’t have any fixes for you, but our experience with our 2018 Grand Cherokee Summit was a replacement head unit. There was no satellite signals at all. All other functions worked except the Nav.
It was still under warranty. The dealership replaced the head unit and it has been working since. Took maybe 4-5 weeks till it was changed out.

My father-in-law has a 2018 Rebel, it has the same issues discussed here and the dealership is replacing the head unit. However, he has been waiting for a few weeks for one to come in.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
They actually had me go to an empty lot, open and close my drivers door, key on, key off...start truck and go backwards in a circle 5 times. didn't help...lol. they ended up replacing my head under warranty

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hey everyone,

We came across this thread and wanted to offer our support! We're sorry to hear that you're Uconnect systems have been displaying odd behaviors and some of you are experiencing concerns with your dealers while trying to get this fixed.

If anyone is scheduled to see their dealer or would simply like additional support, please don't hesitate to send our team a message directly so we can look into your specific vehicle!

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares