Need Advice for rust chips on tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MamaL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi 5.7L
9E302195-06A2-4986-A7A6-A8F48AD48556.jpeg A4605E9B-43B4-45F9-82B5-0BC3C0D9A495.jpeg B6DF73DB-3BDD-4FFB-95A6-DED5A11CE510.jpeg Hi there... I am new to the forum and hope I am posting in the correct area.

I just bought a 2016 Ram 1500 (which is in dire need of a wash) and the top of the tailgate has a few paint chips and deeper scratches that are starting to rust. I know I need to take care of this issue before it gets worse but money is an issue so I think I’m going to attempt to repair it myself. I have watched so many DIY videos on how to remove rust and paint I’m going crazy!! My question is - has anyone actually successfully done this and what products/brands do you recommend?

My current plan is to sand the rust out and feather the area. I was going to “treat” the area using a self etching primer, then a filler primer, paint color, and end with a clear coat (all aerosols). I know I need to wet sand in between coats and allow for the proper drying time and temps.

I was researching brands and am leaning toward duplicolor. There are good and bad reviews on EVERYTHING. Same with rustoleum products. Anyone familiar with automotivetouchup?? I know I need OEM matched paint. Any brand
Recommendations that you have from personal experience are greatly appreciated!!

Also - I’m not sure if I should use a bondo type filler instead of the aerosol filler primer. Some of the spots are pretty deep. What do you guys think??

I will prob take it to an auto body shop as well to get a quote but I’m sure it is way out of my budget to go that route. Any advice is greatly appreciated!! I only have about a week till the weather changes for me to attempt this myself. Hopefully you can see the pics 9E302195-06A2-4986-A7A6-A8F48AD48556.jpeg

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would definitely pop that plastic piece off the top and probably paint from the body line all the way across that's above the tailgate. I'm not big on spray paint because it never seems to match or look as good in the end but earlier this year I was rear ended and it messed up my tailgate so I did the body work and painted it myself. I also used acrylic enamel instead of basecoat/clearcoat, bright white same as you and it came out pretty good. If you have an air compressor go and buy a cheap paint gun and give it a shot. A body shop might charge you $3-400 or more to do the job and it ain't worth that to me. Of course if you want to try and paint it that way I would recommend doing the whole thing.

Sgambots91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe a local junkyard has one in better shape in same color? Worth a look.

I definitely recommend a gravity fed paint gun if you have a compressor. Take the entire tailgate off and emblems and do the whole thing.

prep work is key and also paint quality, don’t cheap out. You’ll have to mix it with reducer and hardener. I’m no expert in body work but I’ve done some decent jobs. Just take your time and do lots of research and should come out pretty good.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Pull the plastic top, sand the rusty area and feather to clean metal. Epoxy prime the sanded areas and use filler to smooth the areas.

Plan to paint all the way across the tailgate and tape below the body line above the handle all the way across. Roughen the area to be painted, prime the filled areas and then color spray area feathering toward the tape. Remove the tape, sand to eliminate any lip and spray clear feathering the clear just under the lip. Cut and polish as required.

Mask the handle and trim as required.

Be sure to get the correct white IIRC the Canadian is whiter than the US version. It was on my 14 Sport.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank