Salt sucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MD Sledhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
A lot may argue with me (you will lose)... I live in a place that uses more salt per lane-mile than ANYWHERE in the United States (over 82 tons per lane-mile). The year I compared to other states, the UP of Michigan was the closest at 24 tons/lane-mile.
I had my 2014 sprayed with grease used on mining equipment (they heat it to spray)... had it touched up once. After 10 years and 100K miles, it had some surface rust on the frame, but absolutely nothing on the body panels.
When I got my 2024, they didn't use it anymore. Instead, they've switched to a Fluid Film (like) spray. Had the new 2024 done as well.
We'll see how it does. It is not nearly as heavy a coating. But the guy that does this in our area also owns a contract for spreading salt in the winter. A little conflict of interest???

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fluid Film, Krown or some kind of oil like rust proofing is the way to go.

I Fluid Filmed our 2013 Wrangler for the first couple of years until I found a Krown dealer in town and started letting them do it.

11 years old and rust free.

The downside, if there is one, is everything underneath is dirty and oily but there is no rust.

Working underneath will be grubby but that is a small price to pay.

I never spray off our vehicles underneath, I want all that rust proofing to stay there.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My experience with Cosmoline has been excellent. The military has been using it for decades. It’s waxy and dries semi hard unlike Lanolin based products. Maybe it was applied incorrectly as it doesn’t creep much. I’d give the shop that applied it a chance to make it right.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Think of it like this: undercoating is prevention, while rust-proofing is defense. For complete rust protection, it is often best to use both procedures

Undercoating is Rubberized Coating, most often applied when the vehicle is clean & new
Not all undercoating materials are rubberized. Some are pure petroleum based.

In my experience the time for undercoating and/or rust proofing is when the vehicle is new or relatively new with no wintertime driving. I think the time of the year is important, too, as vehicles treated in colder temperatures seem to have adhesion problems.

My son uses this popularized thin oil-based stuff and it washes off pretty easy. He sprays the truck every few weeks in the summertime and he's still got rust. In my opinion the thin coatings cannot protect well against stone impacts, and although they say the material will flow back and fill a penetration, I see no evidence of it on his truck.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 1076726 miles.

T. Anders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After jumping on the POR15 hype with my first K5 Blazer, I tell everyone to don’t waste your $$$.

It flakes off no matter how you prep it.

I live around Chicago. Every spring the truck goes on jackstands. I pressure wash the hell out of it, I then hit the rust with a convertor, & then spray bomb it in satin black.
Interesting. I've used POR-15 on a dozen or so projects over the years and I've never had any flake off.