NEED ADVICE... to trade in or not to trade in that is the question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greeco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"Gutless" is kind of over-dramatic. The 5.3L is a good engine that has ample power and longevity and reasobale MPGs. I sold my 2003 Tahoe with 300,000 miles and it is still running, sold my 2008 Tahoe, and my 2004 Suburban, all with the 5.3L.

I think GM only offers the 6.2L on the upper trims and nameplates unless they have changed that. You had to get into a Caddy or GMC Denali to get the 6.2L.

Yeah, maybe not the right choice of words and a little dramatic. However, after driving the 5.3L for almost 5 years, I definitely wish it had more power. Acceleration is slow, mountain driving is not enjoyable. As a daily driver, it's a good engine...solid, reliable. I just think that going from a 5.7L Hemi to a Chevy 5.3L will be a disappointment. Maybe not right away, but over time. Just my opinion.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I stopped into the dealer today and they offered me $24500 for my trade in with no negotiations. I test drove a Silverado and liked it but hated the color. They are brining a gmc and a Silverado over from their sister dealership for me on Monday to check out. Depending on what they are like and what we can swing money while will determine my next step.

First is a 2015 Sierra 1500 blacked out "elevation edition" with 3,000 miles for $32000.
Second is a 2015 Silverado 1500 LT deep ocean blue with 23,000 miles for $28,000.

I love the blacked our gmc but it's over budget so I will really have to wheel and deal. If not maybe I can get them super low on the Silverado.

I find it hard to believe they will really give you that much for the trade in. You can almost buy it new for that price. They may have something up their sleeves and might raise the price somewhere to "make up" the difference.

Good luck to you

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man....I didn't read this whole thing but I say keep your new truck til the wheels fall off. :favorites13:

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My brother has a 2016 Z71 crew cab, leather, 4wd, fancy ass radio. It's a very nice truck, great interior, however when I let him drive my rcsb hemi, he floors it and comments how fast the damn thing is, I comment how my slightly lowered 2wd has 33 inch tires and his 4wd only has 31s, and he'll need a lift for 33s. The new 5.3 in the 2014+ is a hell of a lot better than the 07-13s, the interior of the new gms is much better and quieter than in the past. If the GMC is what you really want, get it,you only go around once. I was strongly considering a 2wd Chevy short bed when I was looking for a truck, I'm glad I got my Hemi though, I love my truck.

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man....I didn't read this whole thing but I say keep your new truck til the wheels fall off. :favorites13:

I am more leaning towards that at this point... I get compliments everywhere i go on my truck. Everyone loves it. The MPG on it really is pretty great too i mean i only have the V6 but with 33s on 20x12 rims im still getting 17 mpg city. Seems like that would be hard to come by with the chevy/ gmc as they are quoted 16/22 mpg stock. granted i only have the v6 but i have towed a trailer so far with it and i never felt it behind it. the chevy/gmc does have a lot more towing capability but i dont forsee me ever needing to tow anything greater than what my truck can tow anyways. The most ill ever tow is a trailer/ jeep or a boat.

I was a little surprised they offered what they did for my truck on trade it. But they also have about 5 or 6 RAM's on their lot right now priced between 28k and 34k that are similiar to mine (2015's to 2017's) with between 20k and 40k miles. I live near indianapolis and think that trucks are in general more expensive.

I also have weighed the option of the fact that I would have to drop money into the gmc/chevy to get it how i want it vs. my rams pretty much there now minus a lift and changing out my plastidipped bumpers/ grille for actual gloss black OEM ones.